Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Coverite fabric problem

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Coverite fabric problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverite fabric problem

Hello, MY coverite fabric doesnt tighten up much at all, and the instructions say do this, so i did, and not tightening. Anybody have any experience with this and tips and hints??

Thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Coverite fabric problem

Are you referring to the unpainted Coverite? If so, try a higher heat on your iron. I recently heated an area that was giving me problems with the iron on full hot (325 degrees). It pulled tight but did not melt. Try a test piece first, but I don't think you can melt it with a hobby iron.

Paul
Old 03-06-2010, 08:39 PM
dignlivn

Are you using a heat gun ? on open structures.
An iron on the sheeted parts ?

Bob
Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
LargeScale88

Im using the silver and dark blue coverite. The Blue doesnt work as well as the silver, but works. I dont know if I'm just not pulling it tight enough when I am tacking the edges, before taking the heat gun and getting the rest.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

A heat gun will give you an undetermined amount of heat, as opposed to a fixed heat setting on an iron. With a gun, it's possible to overheat the fabric and cause it to pull away from the structure. This may be what's happening. If the fabric has pulled away, you might be able to pull it back while using an iron to tack it back in place. If you've trimmed the edges, you may have to recover. Also, make sure you are using plenty of fabric adhesive such as Balsarite or Stixit. Coverite does not stick well to bare wood.

Paul