Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Komander

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Komander

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing some research of those wheels that SIG used in their prototypes, I think those were the OLD DuBro wheels (when they had chrome hubs). I've only seen one pair on Ebay a while back....and they were in an assortment of other stuff I didn't need.
The Kavan wheels available from SIG, look very similar, and are much lighter.
I was able to source an original type Semco Super Muffler, Part #203FS. That took some time to find. lol
Old 01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
TampaRC

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
They really aren't full plans. The kit was built from the booklet and the "plans" part were printed on the wood. You assembled the fuselage on the printed wood and then used the paper plan to put the two halves together. I'm afraid one would need both.
Now all is not lost. I have a full kit that I want to save, but build a clone from. I just need to find someone that I can get to scan the printed wood, and make a full set of plans from that. I just got the kit so I'm working on it. Just got the cores sourced.
I think the wing plans would be needed for correct placement of the landing gear on the foam cores....
Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Red7fifty

Default Old School Semco Super Muffer

The Muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00148.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	2195268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00149.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	803.4 KB
ID:	2195269  

Last edited by Red7fifty; 01-02-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM
TampaRC

Sorry I misread that you were looking for the cowl, not canopy. I just bought a cowl from fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com last week. It is almost identical to the original plastic cowl. No issues.
Oh, I thought someone mentioned that it was a bad fit
Old 01-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Red7fifty

True....that can be measured from existing originals.
(The landing Gear location)
Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Red7fifty

Originally Posted by TampaRC
Oh, I thought someone mentioned that it was a bad fit
My example sucks....I won't be using it. BB said his is a good copy.

Mine matched exactly on the inside dimensions (fit to the Firewall), but the outside dimensions, with thin material, won't build up to the correct finished outside dimensions.

Last edited by Red7fifty; 01-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Red7fifty

Maybe I'll just build up with Bondo, the outside dimention.......(Or, FS should send me a replacement instead) lol
Here is the link to the Canopy......I wasn't able to find that a few years ago......so I think it might be a recent addition. (Might pick up a couple, lol)
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=729
Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 PM
bbrowncods

I think the wing plans would be needed for correct placement of the landing gear on the foam cores....
Unfortunately, the cores were precut for the LG. That info would have to be measured from a original set of wings. Nowhere does it show dimensions on placement, or profile their location. The book does have pictures for a good guess.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:09 PM
bbrowncods

Originally Posted by Red7fifty
Maybe I'll just build up with Bondo, the outside dimention.......(Or, FS should send me a replacement instead) lol
Here is the link to the Canopy......I wasn't able to find that a few years ago......so I think it might be a recent addition. (Might pick up a couple, lol)
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=729
Red, It is hard for me to visualize. Could you just file down the balsa to transition into the cowl? There is a lot of wood up there.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:17 PM
TampaRC

Unfortunately, the cores were precut for the LG. That info would have to be measured from a original set of wings. Nowhere does it show dimensions on placement, or profile their location. The book does have pictures for a good guess.
Yep your are right, you can get approximate placement with the pics in the book, so really just need plans for the fuse and fin rudder, stab elevator outlines
Old 01-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Red7fifty

I'd have to take it down an extra 3/32 (approx) all the way around the perimeter.
So, while I could, the finished size will be undersized compared to an original dimension.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM
TampaRC

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Any objections if I put this information on the Kommander's entry in my SIG History website? It would appear on this page:
https://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/sig-rc-kits-21-40/
Awesome website !
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Red7fifty

I think the pattern for the landing gear wire will also be required.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:44 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome website !
I thank you, sir.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:39 AM
TampaRC

It appears that bbrowncods may have the original landing gear he could take measurements from.....
Old 01-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Red7fifty

I made a mistake.....regarding the Fiberglass Cowl.......I mistaken the mis-match for my King Kobra build that is currently on the back burner. I am building a King Kobra, and using a BME Gasoline Conversion SuperTiger .90. I opted to use a Fiberglass cowl during my build, since Gasoline and ABS plastic do not mix. I would have to take precautions that the gas does not dissolve the plastic, so I ordered the FS FG cowl...and when it arrived, it was apparent that the outlines do not match up. Thus, one of the kinks that help put it on the back burner.
I NEVER compared the Komander Cowls. I purchased it, just to have while I looked for a canopy, which I have ordered.
So....back over to you.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 PM
bbrowncods

Easy to do!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:46 PM
OKC_Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I think this may be my first post here on RCU. I've sort of got it in my head to build myself a Komander. If we could get a pdf with all the parts it would be nice, but after looking at the manuals on Skylark-Flier's page, https://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/sig-rc-kits-21-40/, and adding a few measurements, such as Wellss' 42.25" from rear of stab to front of cowl, reverse engineering a Komander shouldn't be too hard. The basic fuselage looks pretty much like your standard box fuselage.

With that in mind, does anybody have the measurements for...

1. The distance between the front of the cowl to the firewall, or the distance from the firewall to the back plate of the spinner?
2. The distance between the firewall and the front of the wing saddle?
3. The distance between the rear of the wing saddle and the rear end of the fuselage?
4. The height of the fuselage at the rear end?
5. The length of the vertical portion on the main gear?

Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 PM
OKC_Jim

I started work on some basic plans and my research has answered some of my own questions.

With that in mind, does anybody have the measurements for...

1. The distance between the front of the cowl to the firewall, or the distance from the firewall to the back plate of the spinner?

The distance between the back plate of the spinner of the spinner and the firewall is 3 7/8". This can be found in the manual on page 14.

2. The distance between the firewall and the front of the wing saddle?

This can be established by printing out Bbrowncod's attached image from post number 60 in this thread and measuring the length of part H2 provided in the manual. So BBrowncod's image with H2 positioned correctly on the image provides the location of the firewall. Add the thickness of the firewall, 3/16" to that. Then add 3 7/8" to that and we have the position fore and aft of the spinner back plate in relation to the wing.

3. The distance between the rear of the wing saddle and the rear end of the fuselage?

In this thread post number 35 by Wells provides the length of the fuse as 42 1/4". Also Skylark-flier has a site, https://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/sig-rc-kits-21-40/ , that shows the total length of the aircraft as 44". The stab is 2" wide. This would make the fuse 42" long. I think the extra 1/4" is the little protrusion on the back of the fuse. Either way 42 1/4" r just 42" that isn't that big of a difference.

4. The height of the fuselage at the rear end?

This one was slightly tricky. Picture 71 on page 16 of the manual provides a decent view of how things are supposed to look back here. I took a screen shot of that image and resized it in a photo editor until it was the correct size. I judged the correct size by using using the 1/4" square stock. I resized until that square stock was 1/4". Doing this gives you the aft portion of the fuselage. From there position it in the correct position based on the overall length of the fuse. Now you have the aft end of the fuse. From there you pretty much just connect the dots to complete a workable copy of the plan.

5. The length of the vertical portion on the main gear?

I'm still trying to get a more exact answer on this one. What I have done so far is use the gear door template provided in the manual to establish the approximate length of the vertical portion of the main gear.

I realize you guys could have done all of this. I just walked through my process in case anybody else out there is wondering how it can be reverse engineered.

I made a trip to the local hobby shop here today to pick up some balsa and plan to start cutting pretty soon.

Any thoughts on a good glow engine? Most of my experience is with OS but I've been tempted to try something new.

Any thoughts on appropriately sized retracts? I'm not sure I'm going to do this but the thought is there. Bonus for electric retracts.

Jim
Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 PM
bbrowncods

Here is a PDF of the plans. So that you can size it correctly the length from the Firewall to X-Y is 19 3/4 inches. From the X-Y line to the tail is 18 11/16 inches. The width at the firewall all the way back to the bulkhead behind the wing attach blocks is 3 13/16. From there you pinch the tail end together and join per the instructions.
Attached Thumbnails Komander.pdf  
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 AM
skylark-flier

Excellent!!! If no objections, I'm adding it to the Kommander's entry.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
OKC_Jim

Not the greatest picture, taken on my cell phone. The maiden is getting pretty close.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_110105.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2207634  
The following users liked this post:
bignasdy (12-13-2023)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Red7fifty

Sweet!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM
skylark-flier

Very nice job!!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 AM
OKC_Jim

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Very nice job!!
Thank you. The information that you have collected on your site was a big help. Thank you for doing that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.