Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Komander

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Komander

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Truly, my pleasure - and my honor, that you could use some of the info.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:12 PM
OKC_Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And she flies!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Komander2.jpg
Views:	1523
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	2208219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Komander3.jpg
Views:	2263
Size:	479.6 KB
ID:	2208220  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:01 AM
skylark-flier

OUTSTANDING!!!!! Congrats!!! You sure picked a wet day to do it though. She looks really good.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
OKC_Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
OUTSTANDING!!!!! Congrats!!! You sure picked a wet day to do it though. She looks really good.
Thanks! The wind was perfect for a maiden but the rest of the conditions were less than ideal. The clouds were so low I had to keep her pretty low and in fairly close to avoid losing sight. Add to that I haven't flown in roughly a year and the last thing I flew was small park flyers. It has been several years since I've flown glow.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:20 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi I have a question about this airplane what is the difference between this kit and the Sig Kavalier which you can still get from sig? Thanks Michael
Old 06-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Big Stikflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael, basically the main difference between the Komander and the Kavalier is, the Kavalier is a little smaller and faster. The Komander's wing span is 62 inches and the Kavalier's is 55.5 inches. The Komander will take up to a .50 size motor and the Kavalier up to a .40 size.
Over the years I've flown 3 different Komander's and I have a Kavalier NIB waiting to be built. The Komander is a really nice flying plane, I hated to see it go away. I do have the Kavalier to fall back on.
I hope this helps you.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by Big Stikflyer
Michael, basically the main difference between the Komander and the Kavalier is, the Kavalier is a little smaller and faster. The Komander's wing span is 62 inches and the Kavalier's is 55.5 inches. The Komander will take up to a .50 size motor and the Kavalier up to a .40 size.
Over the years I've flown 3 different Komander's and I have a Kavalier NIB waiting to be built. The Komander is a really nice flying plane, I hated to see it go away. I do have the Kavalier to fall back on.
I hope this helps you.
Hi Big Stikflyer I am going to aquire a Kavallier soon as I just got a brand new OS 35 ax which is a neat engine. I but a kadet way back in 1978 and it was a great airplane to learn on. I am just getting back into RC flying after a 20 year Hiatus.I have a trainAire 20 and its powered by an OS 25sf. I flew it once and now I am trying to get it back in the air. The state of this hobby is a mess. I am very old school and to see the demise of this hobby is a shame. I did a search after I posted this and found out what I need to know. I would also like to get a new Kadet MK2 and I will getting that later in the year.
Thank You
Michael
Old 06-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Big Stikflyer

Michael, you're welcome.
I'm also just getting back into flying after a 15 year break, I do agree with you on the direction this hobby has taken. I have a Sig Kadet Jr with a OS 25 up front that I'm using until I get my Kadet MkII finished and the new OS 40FP broken in. I also scratched built a BUSA Swizzle Stick 30 and put a OS 25 AX on it. Another new engine I need to get broken in to fly. Once I get all this going and am comfortable with flying again, I have my BUSA Phaeton II ready with a OS 61 FS and a Midwest Sweet Stik 40 with a K&B 60 up front for power. Good times with that one.
​​​​​​​Good luck on your build and welcome back to flying.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:58 PM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by Big Stikflyer
Michael, you're welcome.
I'm also just getting back into flying after a 15 year break, I do agree with you on the direction this hobby has taken. I have a Sig Kadet Jr with a OS 25 up front that I'm using until I get my Kadet MkII finished and the new OS 40FP broken in. I also scratched built a BUSA Swizzle Stick 30 and put a OS 25 AX on it. Another new engine I need to get broken in to fly. Once I get all this going and am comfortable with flying again, I have my BUSA Phaeton II ready with a OS 61 FS and a Midwest Sweet Stik 40 with a K&B 60 up front for power. Good times with that one.
Good luck on your build and welcome back to flying.
Hi Jay, I just got a Sig Kavalier last week from Sig as that was the only place I could get it. I dont know why I didn't get one of these back in the 80's. This airplane is kind of like a Facon 56 which I built about 1980 and the darn thing wouldnt fly straight Ha. Anyways I would like to cover it just like on the box except the cowel is a concern for me. I don't know if the monokote pains will melt it. I thought I might just make a custom balsa wood cowl and make it fit. I am not crazy about monokote either as It takes alot of heat to get it to tack to the airframe.
Take Care
​​​​​​​Michael
Old 07-09-2017, 08:01 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If that cowling is ABS plastic it won't take the heat when covering. If it's fiberglass it can be covered fairly easily with most films.. although it does take some experience, I've covered a few fiberglass cowls and components with films.. with great results. The films will adhere very well to a good smooth gel-coat. Fiberglass Specialties might have fiberglass components for the Kavalier, although I'm not real sure on it. If the covering won't work though, just paint it.

I do know they have a cowling for the Komander, as I just looked that up a few weeks ago. Someone left a whole Komander at the flying field on the picnic table where members sometimes leave and/or donate items they don't want... and this lonely, homely, kind of beat up Komander was just begging me to take it home. It was never flown judging by the incompleteness of it... but it was all there, to include the canopy, and the ABS cowl.. which was broken.. but after getting it home, and stripping the covering off(someones feeble attempt).. the bones of the plane look great... unbelievably well... as in whomever built it knew what they were doing. That Sig wood is some of the best balsa I've seen... They don't make kits like these any more... just good clean wood... that stand the test of it. It was pretty beat with hangar rash, but the landing gear was even there... rusted as it was. I was pretty jazzed, as we'd built one in the early 90's and put a nice .61 in it and it flew wonderfully. I think the airframe will clean up fine. I put it in my shed for a winter time project.. I just couldn't resist a free Komander!!!

Last edited by DGrant; 07-09-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:17 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sig Komander is where RC started for me. Out of the Army, through college, a young family, and a couple of years of control line, I visited a school grounds on a Sunday afternoon where RC flying was happening and the seed of passion was sown.

A few months later, Santa had World Engines radio gear under the tree and during the winter of '75, my first RC build was a Komander.

My sweetheart in the picture has been gone now for twenty six years and that lad is now forty three and there have been dozens of planes between then and now. Children of the Komander fill my memory and some of them the memory of my transmitter. The Komander pictured below was a patriarch, spawning many offspring.

The journey includes many good times, much building pastime, accumulated hours of flying and friendships going back forty three years

Name:	komander.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2223923  
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM
skylark-flier

..." The journey includes many good times, much building pastime, accumulated hours of flying and friendships going back forty three years "

And that's how it should always be.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Big Stikflyer

Originally Posted by AA5BY
The Sig Komander is where RC started for me. Out of the Army, through college, a young family, and a couple of years of control line, I visited a school grounds on a Sunday afternoon where RC flying was happening and the seed of passion was sown.

A few months later, Santa had World Engines radio gear under the tree and during the winter of '75, my first RC build was a Komander.

My sweetheart in the picture has been gone now for twenty six years and that lad is now forty three and there have been dozens of planes between then and now. Children of the Komander fill my memory and some of them the memory of my transmitter. The Komander pictured below was a patriarch, spawning many offspring.

The journey includes many good times, much building pastime, accumulated hours of flying and friendships going back forty three years

For me the Komander was my third aircraft. I built a Komander MKI and two Komander MKIIs. All of my Komander's had bolt on wings. I built my first one in like 82-83 time frame when I was stationed in Jacksonville Florida. I never knew it had rubber bands on the wings at one time. Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay... I don't recall how long the Komander had been out when building mine. I do recall the local guys saying it was the first that they had seen locally.

btw... the next winter (1976) after building the Komander, was our nations bicentennial and I built a Sig Skybolt, which is now 41yrs old and flew last week on the 4th of July, an annual tradition.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Big Stikflyer

Ha, I'm lucky if I have a plane left after one season. I built my first biplane in late 80s. I built the BUSA Phaeton II and still have it today. I had 2 mishaps with it and after setting for over 10 years I just went through, removed the old covering, fix any trouble spots I had and recovered it in Monokote. As soon as I get some more flight time in I'll get it back in the air. She is my oldest plane still in flying condition.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:37 PM
HAL9KPCM

I've always wanted to build a Komander but had a heck of a time finding a kit. I first found a partial kit missing the wing cores, canopy and cowl. Later, I found one just missing the canopy, and finally, a third complete kit. I got a FS cowl and a park flyers plastics canopy so I now have the one kit built, one complete kit which I'll probably build this winter, a a fuse kit that I'm keeping for patterns.

Finally got around to the maiden flight of my Komander, haven't flown a plane in 25 years, but I do fly RC helicopters. Powered by an OS 52 four stroke, it's so tame in the air and takes off at half throttle. Definitely a very well behaved plane that anyone could fly.

I notice that the Sig history site has the Komander plans, but they are not full scale. I have a full sized scan as I have access to a large scanner at work. It's an 18.1MB file though, so I can't attach it here.

Name:	20170807_084638.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	2228885  

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 08-21-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:59 AM
jjscott

Great looking Komander. Outerzone can post the plans so anyone interested in the plane can have a copy. If you can send the file, the link is: https://outerzone.co.uk/
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM
HAL9KPCM

Thanks, I'll send them a copy after work today.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 PM
DGrant

Wow... timing is everything. Mr. Hal, is there any chance you could send me that file for those plans too?... I'd sure appreciate it. I have a rescued Komander that has great potential, and I've been wanting to start a search for those plans... Just haven't done it yet... it was just last week I was looking at my Komander too. I have access to large format output(as well as scanning), and can easily output the file. As well, I have everything needed to restore the plane.

If it's OK, just PM me here, and I'll RE with my email addy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

PS.... I'm just learning(or remembering.. ha..) that there are actually two versions of the Komander... The original "Komander", and the "Komander Mk II". Does anyone know the diff?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM
HAL9KPCM

I have a fuse kit for the MKI and my full kits are the MKII. There are some subtle differences in the wing saddle as the MKI has dowels for holding the wing on with rubber bands. The MKII has a stronger belly with a plywood bottom from the firewall to I think midway below the wing (I'd have to look to double check).

Edit: Yup, plywood on the bottom of the fuse to the halfway point under the wing. The MKII also has a plywood tank floor to separate the battery compartment.

PM Sent.

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 08-25-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM
DGrant

Thanks again so much HAL ! I also must add your Komander does look great... very nice man! These things have the coolest lines to them, that to me they really were ahead of their time.

I do believe I have the Mk II version, as the wing is bolt on, that I do remember.. and I'm pretty sure there's a tank shelf too.. I did see some pics in Google images of the Komanders with rubber- banded wings... so I suspected that was one difference... and the box design/pic looks different it seems with the Mk I version... The Mk II does look a bit more streamlined in certain pics.. possibly due to newer/different graphics... maybe...

I'll have to get out there in this weekend and revisit this plane and probably bring it in and really have a closer look. I think I'll put a few orders together for a canopy and cowling for this plane... as well as some other fiberglass components for another project, so I'll try and kill a few birds with one order... ya know. I've got a ton of flight-pack/servo/rx equipment already.. and several engines to choose from. I like the idea of a four-stroke.. but as was recently shared with me, that will take some planning.. hmmm... decisions.. hmm.

This should prove to be alot of fun too... as it was a totally free plane to me... I'm just amazed nobody else picked it up.. as it had sat on that table all day, I just don't think anybody knew how cool these planes are with a little work.... let alone that it was a Sig plane made with what was some of the best wood on the planet..... Just like the old days right!
Thanks, and have a great weekend everyone.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
skylark-flier

Just a quick note here - Hal also sent me a copy of those plans and they're now on the website.

Can't thank you enough Hal - Super GREAT job.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:47 PM
HAL9KPCM

No problem guys. I've loved the Komander for years and when I could finally afford to get back into the hobby, it was gone. Have to keep the love alive.

Speaking of, have to charge the batteries, supposed to be great weather tomorrow morning.

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 08-25-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:22 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be nice to see an larger (80"?) version of this bird....20-30cc engine.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Big Stikflyer

It's nice to see a resurgence of the Komander. I was beginning to think I was the last person with one still. I'm going to finish my build this winter and try to maiden next spring. I did get the canopy from parkflyerplastic, perfect replacement. I compared it to the Sig original and you can't tell the difference.
Has anyone purchased the cowl from Fiberglass Specialties? How does it compare to the original from Sig?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.