Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Super Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Super Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
mljim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Super Chipmunk

I bought a Midwest Super Chipmunk kit that had been started by someone. It is the first foamie I've had, let alone attempted to work with. I did not like the way the fuselage had been glued together and I managed to get it back apart without destroying anything. I also do not like the way the landing gear block is glued in the wing. It sits above the lower wing surface approximatel 1/8 inch. Gettin it out appears to be a difficult task. Regrooving it and then sanding it flush with the wing surface might be easier. My question for anyone out there who might have done one of these kits is did the block come preglued in the wing and is it supposed to be flush for aerodynamics? The print difinitly shows it flush.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Midwest Super Chipmunk

From what I remember, the block should be flush. I think you have to either finish cutting the opening for it or completely cut the opening yourself. Sounds like the previous owner got lazy.

I don't know if you've already cut the slots for the aileron pushrod but I would use a small servo for each wing instead of the way they show. Back then, the two servo method was not done. The pushrod they show works but is a royal PIA to install and set-up only to have plenty of slop.

One other gripe I had with this plane was that the firewall is not glued in well and can come loose and wallow out the foam. As long as you have yours apart, add some extra glue.

I really liked this little plane when I had mine. I've got another kit squirreled away in storage to build someday.

Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
mljim

Default RE: Midwest Super Chipmunk

Thanks for your reply. I was not successful in getting the block out so I cut the grooves deeper and sanded the block flush. I had cut the glue line all around and will have to work some glue in around it.

I can see how the fire wall could work its way loose. I will epoxy it in one side so I can get the grove filled. Then join the halves together with the other groove full of epoxy laying down on the bench. Hope you under stand what I'm saying.

Thought about the two servo setup, but decided to use the one with a Sullivan Golden Rod cable push rod. Frankly, it might have been simpler with two now that I think about it.

I am converting this to electric using a .15 size motor.

Again thanks for the input.