Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sealing Koverall

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sealing Koverall

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing Koverall

Im covering a Sopwith Pup, and im wondering,

Since i want to still be able to see the weave of the fabric once its painted. Do i still have to seal the fabric after i cover the airframe?

Or can i go straight to paint once im done covering.

I have sealed the entire airframe with nitrate dope, and after i covered I applied very thin nitrate to the area that contacts the covering.

Just not sure if i need to nitrate the entire fabrics and open bays.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM
pmw

Default RE: Sealing Koverall

I'm not sure I understand your question, but you need to seal the weave of Koverall or the paint will just seep through. The nitrate you mentioned will seal the weave if you use three or four coats. You can then just paint and the weave will show. The only way to elliminate the weave is by using a filler before painting.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Trax540

I guess i may have misworded my first post.

Yes that was my question does koverall have to be sealed before painting , regardless of the type of finish one may be doing.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
gthrone

This is the first time I have ever replied to a forum question, only because every body has to prove how smart they are, so I know I am opening myself up to critique.
Been using KOVERALL SINCE 86, Here is my method.
1. light coat of nitrate on bare wood
2. lay or pin kovering over area. always bottom first.
brush heavy coat of nitrate through material , only at overlap areas.
3. sealing iron to edge of fabric
4. another coat of nitrate to overlap, lay top fabric and brush through to under fabric. iron seal.
5 lightly shrink fabric both sides. then press hot iron on rib pattern and overlaped edges.
6 one coat of nitrate 50/50 mix over all. THIS will wrap around al polyester fibers, inside and out of fabric. Nitrate is the only hot dope that will do this.
7. allow to cure for a day or two, untill most aroma is gone.
8. you then can add several coats of buyterate, BUT be carfull about sanding through to fabric, if you brake the nitrate barrier, paint will not stick.
9. if you want a smoth area such as areas that would be done to simulate metal, Just add several table spoons of baby powder ( talac) to the buterate, make heavy coats and 600 grit . you will get a very hard shell like apperance.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Another option is several coats of Minwax PolyCrylic. This will fill the weave. 2-3 coats you will still see the weave of the fabric after painting. 4-6 coats and you will have a smooth finish. Lightly sand with 400 after the 2nd coat and each coat after. Here are a couple pics of a 33% Waco I just covered with Koverall and filled with PolyC. The tapes are from Pink-it.net
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92220.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1400300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27751.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1400301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49748.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1400302  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW nice job. How do you fuel proof it now? We can't get nitrate here anymore and I was wondering how to fuel proof it with the Poly C

Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
mikegordon10

FWIW - Nitrate isn't fuel proof.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM
stevenmax50

I have used the Minwax Poly on 2 models now and it has worked well for me.  I use the same method Waconut uses.  I am always going for the smooth as glass finish.  I must admit gthrones technique looks promising.  I may try it next.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:05 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look in the Golden Age, Vintage and Antique Forum. The thread is called Waco YMF. It is a huge thread, but there are several instructive posts concerning Koverall and finishing.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 AM
WacoNut

After the PolyCrylic you are ready for primer and paint. You a fuel proof paint and you are good to go.
Anthony
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Trax540

When you seal the fabric with the nitrate, does it have to be brushed on? Or can you spray it ? When you brush it will the nitrate underneath effect the appearance of the butyrate colors? Will it show streaks or flaws in the nitrate coats underneath??

Also Waconut, What material is that you used for the metal Panels on that Waco?
That plane looks amazing!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: Trax540

When you seal the fabric with the nitrate, does it have to be brushed on? Or can you spray it ? When you brush it will the nitrate underneath effect the appearance of the butyrate colors? Will it show streaks or flaws in the nitrate coats underneath??

I alway lightly brush the nitrate on. You don't want to push the nitrate through the fabric - you only want to create a film of nitrate over the fabric to seal it. As usual, several light coats is better (and lighter) than trying to seal it with one sloppy wet coat. The nitrate will not effect the appearance of the buty colors at all.

I finish in a way similar to what's done on full size aircraft. After applying the fabric and sealing it with a few coats of nitrate, I then spray a coat of silver buty color. The silver does two things. First, it brings out any finishing flaws that I might want to fix. Silver will show EVERY little problem. Second, it creates a uniform color cover over the many different shades of wood, glue, and fillers used during construction. With a silver base, the color coats look uniform. Additionally, the silver will prevent the sun from shining through your covering (think of the pictures of a model in flight, with sunlight bleeding through the covering to expose the framework). About the sun, silver also protects the fabric from UV deterioration (when my models last enough for me to care about UV [8D] ).
Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: gthrone

This is the first time I have ever replied to a forum question, only because every body has to prove how smart they are, so I know I am opening myself up to critique.
Been using KOVERALL SINCE 86, Here is my method.
1. light coat of nitrate on bare wood
2. lay or pin kovering over area. always bottom first.
brush heavy coat of nitrate through material , only at overlap areas.
3. sealing iron to edge of fabric
4. another coat of nitrate to overlap, lay top fabric and brush through to under fabric. iron seal.
5 lightly shrink fabric both sides. then press hot iron on rib pattern and overlaped edges.
6 one coat of nitrate 50/50 mix over all. THIS will wrap around al polyester fibers, inside and out of fabric. Nitrate is the only hot dope that will do this.
7. allow to cure for a day or two, untill most aroma is gone.
8. you then can add several coats of buyterate, BUT be carfull about sanding through to fabric, if you brake the nitrate barrier, paint will not stick.
9. if you want a smoth area such as areas that would be done to simulate metal, Just add several table spoons of baby powder ( talac) to the buterate, make heavy coats and 600 grit . you will get a very hard shell like apperance.

Couldn't have said this better myself. I have been doing this way for years. If you omit step 9 above, you will have the fabric appearance you are after.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM
frenchie79

gthrone-do you ever use stik-it on the edges to lay the covering or just Nitrate. Also after you add a overlap layer of cloth and nitrate that-you mention you put an iron to it-Right away or after it drys? curious after reading your post.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

FWIW - Nitrate isn't fuel proof.
Your right I meant to say Butyrate.....we can't get any dope here with out huge shipping rates because it's considered HAZMat...I was asking after using Poly C what is used to fuel proof....the Poly C?

I have used Butyrate before but like I said no longer available here.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: Trax540

Thanks for the comments,
The metal panels are simulated with Fiberglass. This is the 33% AMR kit and it comes with all the fiberglass panels. I did lay up the cockpit door myself. Should make a very impressive plane once I get her finished.
Anthony