Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG HOG BIPE

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG HOG BIPE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG HOG BIPE

My wife purchased a Hog Bipe for me for Christmas on the 12th of Dec. Sig stated they were out of stock and would ship one by the end of January... it is now the end of March, any ideas of what is going on? I have contacted them multiple times and I get put off again every time. They have offered no compensation for the delays, weather they are their fault or one of their suppliers. I feel this is very poor support and customer service. I am to the point that I want to cancel the order and find something else that is available now. Has anyone had similar problems with Sig? I know 25 years ago they used to be a very good, customer oriented company.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: SIG HOG BIPE

Geez, I've been getting stuff from SIG for something over 30 years and have never had a problem. Gotta admit that this doesn't sound good though.

Just went to the website and the only thing I noticed (other than the fact that like most companies they don't keep it up very well) is that they've got an awful lot of stuff on the "discontinued" sale listing. Probably doesn't mean very much but will keep an eye on that for awhile.

I'd give them another call - - but NOT on a Monday or Friday (super-busy days for most businesses) and explain your situation. You're right - you should have gotten that plane a long time ago. Something definitely fell through the cracks.

Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SIG has had issues with poor quality balsa from their suppliers, and they don't want to make kits with bad wood. Hence the lack of kits from SIG. Do some online shopping as there are hobby shops out there with SIG products. I'm sure you'll find one.

FB
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Transferring to the general kit building forum. This was originally posted in the Great Planes/Top Flite kit support, and we don't provide support for Sig models.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Mako17

Well good luck, I've had one on order with Sig since late Jan. early Feb. Sent an email to Carla asking about my order, recieved a reply saying it would be at least May 15th before any orders would be filled, no explination, nothing.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
gunneredwards

I called them and they stated that the balsa shipment they received was poor. They did not want to put out a kit with bad wood and as soon as they can get them cut, they will ship. The new shipment arrived yesterday, and the kits are supposed to ship in 3 weeks. We can hope the new shipment of wood is good.
dan
Old 03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
WCB

Sig has always put out good kits and their prices are reasonable. Their arf's are a different story. The quality is lacking and the prices are ridiculous.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Mako17

Well 3 weeks is better than the 15th of may. I was hoping to have mine to build when I return from Iraq. I leave for the states in 26 days.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 PM
davidgeorge212

I ordered the topflite p-47 kit (60 size) from tower way back in January and they originally said early February. Then they kept pushing the back in stock date and I would check it every month. It went to Mid February, Late Febrary, Early March, Late March, and so on, Now it is up to Late April. I emailed the people at topflite and they just said they have had delays in making several of their kits. So, I am still waiting for my kit as well.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
DaveB

While I understand your frustration, you can be assured your Sig kit will arrive. Sig, IMO, is one of the best of the best companies in the RC world. I have bought several kits over the years and have never been disappointed.

DaveB
Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 PM
gunneredwards

Don't get me wrong, I have had many of their kits and was always satisfied... Just NEVER had it take this long. I am sure the economy is screwing with their business, I just have a hard time understanding how they can not have wood in stock. This is the lifeblood of the entire business.
dan
Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 AM
SteelersRule!

I bought one around the first of December, I think it came from Graves RC but just checked on their website and they did not have it listed. I had a heck of a time finding one in stock anywhere
Old 03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
SteelersRule!

the bipe is still on the website. I had called Sig around Thanksgiving regarding the Sometin' and was told they were waiting on wood as they had returned a huge shipment of bad wood.Maybe the shipment got delayed. Maybe they are so backlogged with kit building, they are rationing the various product builds. Call them and they will tell you, they were very informative on the phone. The Somethin' is on their website as well. YOu can ask them if they have the products in stock s you can buy direct which is what I tried to do.

Didn't Great Planes buy them? Maybe they have products too evenly matched in the categories and are not cutting redundant products. One of the biggies bought them out. It seems in a few years, GP and Hanger 9 will own all the companies.

Save the little guys out there!

There are too many good small companies out there that need support so the "big 2" don't monopolize the kit market. If it come down to 2biggies controling the market, expect to seeall grade Z balso in all the kits

Monopolies work one way-they control the market and sell crap.

From now on, I am only buying from the great small kit builders out there.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 AM
SteelersRule!

I forgot to add that in November I also purchased the Goldberg Ultimate Bipe and just noticed it has been discontinued. I am going to build the Hog Bipe and the Ultimate to see how they match up. The Hog has an unbelievable following out there and I have heard good things about the Ultimate as well not as many as the Hog. I am sure or relatively sure that the Sig kits are better quality, maybe maybe not. It will be interesting.
It was my understanding that the Ultimate was one of their most popular models.

Everyone out the can guess I am partial to Bipes. Eventually I will go old school and take the time machine back to WW I. In looking at the smaller builder websites, there are some fantastic kits out there for this time period.

Here arethe boxes piled up on my work bench:
Sig Bipe
Goldberg Ultimate Bipe
BH Wedell-WIlliams ..46 ARFa fantastic looking plane I have never has a BH product
Ryan STA 120 (26-30cc) ARF w/Oleo Struts (Oracover)- What a great looking plane! I hope it flies as good as it looks! I have always loved this plane got it through Hobby People, the wife finally came through with something I wanted for Christmas.

just waiting for the Venture 60 from Bruce Tharpeto get kitted and that will be my next build.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
YellowBlueBird

venture 60 is marked discontinued. Do they plan to bring it back?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Mako17

Bruce has a waiting list for the folks that have requested one, if he decides to bring it back
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
SteelersRule!

I don't know if I asked or not, but is there a Ultimate Bipe build thread out there?

Lou

Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I to am going to build a hog bipe then a goldberg ultimate, infact the hog top wing is almost complete.
Think they are two completely different flying bipes though, am hoping the hog will be a good first bipe trainer before I move on to the ultimate. Got the ultimate kit under the workbench with fibreglass cowl and pants, infact also got a gp skybolt kit on its way from the bay to build after the ultimate and a asp 120fs sitting waiting for it.

Ita an adiction, I need help