Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

PLANS TRACING

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

PLANS TRACING

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLANS TRACING

Ihave a discontinued model coming that Ipurchased on Ebay. Ihave never traced a set of plans before but Iwould like to do so with this model. Iwould like to hear as many methods of making templates or tracings that RCU can muster. The best case scenario is to have something that Icould easily reproduce should anyone want a copy.This is not with the intent of selling plans. Just something that could be used to keep the kit alive.Many thanks for any contributionsto this thread.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: PLANS TRACING

From experience, it is dificult, then expensive to find a tracing paper of a size to lay a wing or fuselage out on. I ended up with Vellum, an 18" x 5 yds roll for $13 plus tax. For that same amount, you could get the plans copied at one of the copy shops and save yourself a lot of time and maybe some money, and more important, have a set of accurate plans. It is dificult to keep everything from moving when you are tracing, especially on a long wing or fuselage plan. You end up taping to the plan and then maybe damaging the plan when you lift the tape.

If you have them copied, make a 6" ruller on both the X and Y axes on all four corner of the orginal. Tell them you want 100% copies, no more, no less, then measure the rullers on the copies to make sure that is what you received. Also sight down the outline box on the copy to make sure it is straight. Sometimes the orginal will skew a bit going through the copier..

Good luck and let us know how which ever method you use, works out.

Don
Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't always have to trace all the parts in the kit. Most plans will have MOST of the parts on them. But here's the trick, most of the manufacturers will leave off crucial parts when they draw the plans. This how they supposedly keep you from duplicating their kit. Simply go through all the parts and identify what's not on the plan. Then simply trace those parts, I usually do it right there on the original plans if there is room. Then do as Campgems stated above. Get copies made of your plans. Build from the copies and keep your originals in a safe location.

Ken
Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Lnewqban

You could scan the drawing, import it to AutoCAD, and trace it.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my plans copied at a blueprint graphics business in town. The last set-2 3x5's ran about 4 bucks. I also build on a magnetic building board with the plans covered with a sheet of clear plastic from Home Depot. You'll find it in the paint dept. No pin holes or glue to muck up the plans. Works for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't fool around, I use butcher paper and trace out every part from the kit, fuse sides and all. Then if someone wants a set of plans and templates I just go to Kinko's and have a set of both the plans and templates printed out. I sort of do what Don said with the ruler or use there window and hold one over the other, the ruler is simpler. If I have the plans and templates both copied at the same time they come out the same size so if they are off a little it doesn't mater, they are off the same. I charge for the cost of the copies and shipping because it can get costly doing it for people. Sometimes Kinko get's a bit fussy with doing a copy of something that is copyrighted so I often cut out the header in the corner, that seems to make them happy and I have no problems. It takes a little time but it is well worth it over time. As fast as kits are being discontinued it's what we have to do to keep these planes alive!!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Dr1Driver

Take them to a graphics shop or even Kinko's. Let them copy it.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot to mention this but when I draw out the templates I write inside each part how many are needed and what type and thickness of wood the part is. I seperate the hard wood parts from the balsa parts on my templates too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13237.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1409658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12008.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1409659  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
cougdave

I use my computer to make patterns for every part in the kit before I build it. I have learned the adjustments that my system needs to make a perfect copy at 100% in the X axis, and the Y. I will copy all of the print wood, or take the laser cut parts and put them on a contrasting background to copy. Sometimes, the kit makers will change a part from the plan, so that you can't use the plan to make a working copy of the model. If you don't copy the part, it makes it impossible to repair or rebuild the model at a later date. I like eternal models, not throwaway ones. If wire parts are used, I copy them too. I usually copy or draw everything in the kit. After all, It's not like I've never had to repair a model... [:-]

Dave
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 PM
cherry629
My Feedback: (29)

Hey stevenmax 50,you helped me so heres help for you,to do tracing a glass table or just a big peice of glass,put a light under it,works
like a xray,I use printer paper taped together,tape over plans,trace away,works great,hope this helps,Les[sm=idea.gif]
Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
SeamusG

Kinko's wants $20 per plan page. If these are out-of-print plans then this may be reasonable. Maybe a local club will have an "inside" guy that can get them copied for much less.