Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

thoughts on favorite Bipes

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

thoughts on favorite Bipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
SteelersRule!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on favorite Bipes

I was wondering your thoughts on the following two very popular Bi-Plane kits. The Sig Hog Bipe and the Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 which I purchased. Please list the pluses and minuses of both kitsif you could/would.

It is my understandng the Ultimate is now discontinued. Was Goldberg bought out? It seems that Hanger 9 and Great Planes have a number of brands now under their wings.

Thanks in advance for any help you can shed on this, these will be my 2010/11 winter builds.

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Lou
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: thoughts on favorite Bipes

The difference between a Hog and an ultimate is like the difference between a Volkswagon and a Porche
Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The difference between a Hog and an ultimate is like the difference between a Volkswagon and a Porche
How true!! Both are outstanding planes but the Ult is a pure stunt machine from the get go. CG was bought out by Lanier who was bought out by GP. GP has been dropping kits like crazy. I don't keep up with what has been removed from the line up but you can always get plans for the Ult and cut your own kit.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hog is a great Sunday flyer.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just built a gb ulti and I absolutely LOVE the plane!! I have never flown a hog bipe myself other than in the g3.5 sim. The Goldberg ulti in the sim is nothing like my real one either, however the flat spins and blenders are very similar. The one in the sim flies like it is 5lbs, I like an ultimate a bit on the heavier side. My gb ulti weights in at about 9.5 pounds and she tracks like an arrow, very, very accurate on low rates. I haven’t tried any rolling circles or stuff like that but the knife edge is incredible! Outside knife edge 8s WOW!! Hardly any rudder to keep her there. I powered mine with an os 120ax. I did a lot of mods, (top) wing bolt mod, cf re-enforced stab, hardwood re-enforced fin, replaced the kit firewall with ¼†aircraft grade ply, fiberglass re-enforced firewall to fuse sides. Re-enforced landing gear mounts (but the wire bends and I’m replacing the gear wit cf gear soon) tail mounted elevator servos. plywood re-enforced interplane strut tab mounts.

On high rates she really winds up fast. Flat spins are a lot of fun and blenders are downright INSANE!! If you plan to fly her hard, do the re-enforcement mods. Believe me the first hard blender you do will scare the pants off of you. You’ll be running for the depends!

I’m turning a MA 15-8 on my 120ax. I bet she is doing 100-120 mph. I’m gona try a apc 15-6 that I have. Should increase my vertical and decrease speed a bit. I don’t need anymore vertical, it is just to try. Right now I can do a 10 foot roll out, go vertical and do 4 point rolls all the way up. Not enough power to do snap rolls all the way up, perhaps with the 15-6. I can’t imagine flying this plane with only a 60. She is capable of so much more with a large engine. The gb ulti lands like a trainer. Cross winds affect her on landing so be ready. Lots of surface…

As soon as we finally get some good weather here I will take some video of mine and post it in my gb ultimate build thread here on rcu.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99658.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1413713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12277.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1413714  
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: twn

I just built a gb ulti and I absolutely LOVE the plane!! I have never flown a hog bipe myself other than in the g3.5 sim. The Goldberg ulti in the sim is nothing like my real one either, however the flat spins and blenders are very similar. The one in the sim flies like it is 5lbs, I like an ultimate a bit on the heavier side. My gb ulti weights in at about 9.5 pounds and she tracks like an arrow, very, very accurate on low rates. I haven’t tried any rolling circles or stuff like that but the knife edge is incredible! Outside knife edge 8s WOW!! Hardly any rudder to keep her there. I powered mine with an os 120ax. I did a lot of mods, (top) wing bolt mod, cf re-enforced stab, hardwood re-enforced fin, replaced the kit firewall with ¼†aircraft grade ply, fiberglass re-enforced firewall to fuse sides. Re-enforced landing gear mounts (but the wire bends and I’m replacing the gear wit cf gear soon) tail mounted elevator servos. plywood re-enforced interplane strut tab mounts.

On high rates she really winds up fast. Flat spins are a lot of fun and blenders are downright INSANE!! If you plan to fly her hard, do the re-enforcement mods. Believe me the first hard blender you do will scare the pants off of you. You’ll be running for the depends!

I’m turning a MA 15-8 on my 120ax. I bet she is doing 100-120 mph. I’m gona try a apc 15-6 that I have. Should increase my vertical and decrease speed a bit. I don’t need anymore vertical, it is just to try. Right now I can do a 10 foot roll out, go vertical and do 4 point rolls all the way up. Not enough power to do snap rolls all the way up, perhaps with the 15-6. I can’t imagine flying this plane with only a 60. She is capable of so much more with a large engine. The gb ulti lands like a trainer. Cross winds affect her on landing so be ready. Lots of surface…

As soon as we finally get some good weather here I will take some video of mine and post it in my gb ultimate build thread here on rcu.
What a fantastic looking Ultimate you have there...

Bob
Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: twn

Pardon my ignorance - but did you build your Ultimate from a kit? Or is it an ARF that you "built" - not that it matters. I have an ARF in the box downstairs in the garage and was hoping that it was finished like yours. Very pretty.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

The Ultimate is the best. I've built 3 of them. My favorite plane of all time.

Flown with a Super Tigre 90, an O.S. 1.08, and a Saito 1.00

All good combos...what a great flyer. I've never flown the Hog Bipe...but I can only imagine it lives up to it's name, and handles like a sow.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
twn

ORIGINAL: sensei

What a fantastic looking Ultimate you have there...

Bob
[sm=thumbup.gif] Thanks sensei, she and my aw 50cc 260 are my favorite planes. The gb ulti surprisingly tracks very similar to the 260 and flies nothing like my 50cc ultimate.

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Pardon my ignorance - but did you build your Ultimate from a kit? Or is it an ARF that you ''built'' - not that it matters. I have an ARF in the box downstairs in the garage and was hoping that it was finished like yours. Very pretty.

Ed Cregger
She is from a kit. I built her and covered her. Here is the build thread I did with her. "[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9018718/anchors_9018718/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9018718]Goldberg Ultimate Build 60 size by twn[/link]"
Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 AM
gunneredwards

Anyone know anything about the Reactor bipe? I like the way it looks, but wow what a price tag.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 AM
twn

ORIGINAL: gunneredwards

Anyone know anything about the Reactor bipe? I like the way it looks, but wow what a price tag.
You mean the arf? I don't think there is a kit version. I have the smaller 2.3lbs reactor bipe with a power 15, 45 amp esc and 2500mah 3 cell. Power like there is no tomorrow. My buddy has the same one with a power 25 60 amp esc and a 2500mah 4 cell, LMAO ridiculous, stupid, ludicrous, insane maniac power. I asked him to do a hover pull out so he did. Hovered 2 inches off the ground so I could get a good view and then full power. The plane took off so hard it was like an Estes rocket launch. Climbed hundreds of feet in a second or 2. No exaggeration. The plane is very strong. Lots of fun. Rolling circles are easy. harriers are rock solid with a little spoiler mixed in. Knife edge is tight and easy to hold. LOL, when I do a blender with mine I start with a full power dive and then ease into full 3d aileron roll into the blender. The whole manuver is a blur and when I ask her to come out of it it is quick. I bet a 50cc version would be awesome!!

Credits to Richard Barlow, Maac President for the picture of my plane below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51066.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1414214  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
HFrank

Hi Minn. Is that also true for the GP Ultimate .40 ?? (the GB Ultimate is discontinued [&o])
Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 AM
twn

ORIGINAL: HFrank

Hi Minn. Is that also true for the GP Ultimate .40 ?? (the GB Ultimate is discontinued [&o])

Doesn't that just absolutely SUCK!! THe GB Ultimate is probably the best selling kit of all time. If you ask me it is a bone head move by GP...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
twn

I would really like to try a Pitts Challenger and a Pitts Python.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
gunneredwards

I feel if there were a kit for the reactor bipe that it would sell good, but $300 is a bit steep for me. Besides, I like to build almost as much as fly. (Not to mention the little extra personal touches you can put into a build.) The new pitts looks great, but did you see the price? what are they thinking?
dan
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
flygilmore

I agree that dropping the GB Ultimate was a stupid move. I actually went to my local shop last week to get one (they always for the last 13yrs. I have been going had one up in the corner) well, not this time[:@]! Scored another long gone kit as well though-Midwest Citabria so I was happy!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I've had alot of bipes in my time, I think my favorite is the pica bucker jungmiester, but I also have a goldberg jungmann kit awaiting to be built as well as the ultimate. Im not extreme 3d pilot or for that fact a imac pattern pilot, so any plane I fly is a personality of it's own. So with that said, I think any bipe that seems to "feel right" to you in the air is worth it's weight in gold. To me most of the goldberg planes flew honestly, like they were ment to, sure over the years the quality went down and the hardware became cheesy, but then again, they were honest flying airplane's from the start. So are sig's designs, the hog is a nice sport bipe, as well as the BUSA pheaton bipe and the 90 version. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
qldviking

I love bipes too and have had a numberof different ones over the years. My fave is the ultimate followed by the sopwith pup. I currently have 4 ultimates, ranging from the baby electric to my 50cc beast. I also have plans for a 3.4m ws one which I hope to build in the near future, once I find a 400cc+ motor to suit. My last Pup was a BUSA 1/3 scale with a BME-80, and it was a sweet plane to fly, and I have another kit coming which I will fit my nib BME 102 into. I have also owned various others like the Pitts S-12, precent By-fly, stearman, both tiger and gypsy moths etc. I also have a kit coming for the 44% smith miniplane and I have just got the plans out and gearing up to build a loster gladiater, it will have a ws of 95" and be powered with a 3W 80 twin.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The GP Ultimate 40 is not a "True" Ultimate. It has a thicker airfoil which makes for easier handling and slower landing speeds, yet it is still very areobatic.

I really liked this little bipe when I had it.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gents,

IMHO, The best flying biplane I've ever seen is a plane that Miles Reed kitted years ago. Some of you may remember it, the Weeks Solution. A friend of mine has the 77" wingspan version which is called the Solution X. He has a 3W70 twin in it and the word awesome does not give justice to how the plane flies. It tracks better than any pattern plane I've seen and it's slow speed flight characteristics are rock solid. Kits for the Solution series of planes as well as some of Miles Reed's other kits are still available. Another friend of mine is building a Solution XX which will have a 100cc (or larger) motor in it. The only slight drawback to the Solution is that it may not be a good 3D plane due to the size of the control surfaces in it's stock configuration, but an experienced builder could easily remedy that.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with MinnFlyer, the GP Ultimate Bipe 40 is a sweet flying airplane.