Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Scale Hinge Seams, How to run the grain ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Scale Hinge Seams, How to run the grain ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:58 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scale Hinge Seams, How to run the grain ?

I'm building a TF Corsair and am using Robart hinge points as well as rounding the leading edge of the control surfaces. I want to use a strip of 1/64 lite ply to overlap the gap by about 1/2 cm to give it a better scale look. I have already sanded down the balsa to have the ply flush with the top of the stab. My question is how to best orient the grain of the 1/64 ply? If I run the grain parallel to the seam will it curl down or up? Should the grain be perpendicular to the seam for more strength. Thanks, Pete
Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd put the grain perpendicular to the hinge line, and I'd also use 1/32" plywood.

Doesn't this fall outside the 25/25 rule, though? If you can't see it at 25 feet and 25 mph, why bother?

Roger
Old 07-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Rocketman612

Thanks,
I'm still going with the 1/64 as I don't want to add weight in these areas. Plan on doing this for Flaps,ailerons,rudder and elevator. Pete
Old 07-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 1/64 on the trailing edge of the wing for the flaps on a Yellow Cap 10 B with the grain parallel to the trailing edge, no warping problem.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Rocketman612

Thanks,
I'm going to glass this plane with lacquer based polyurethane and I wanted to know if anyone who did this had any warping problems. Pete
Old 07-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was covered with Monocoat so you might want to make a dummy piece and see what it does with the polyurethane. As you know, it depends on the shrinkage. This is the surrest way.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:50 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocketman612:

For what it's worth there was an article in RC Scale International about this a couple years ago on this subject written by a Top Gun competitor (I will not use his name without his permission). He said the grain of the 1/64th plywood should run the same as the chord of the wing. It is much stronger this way. If it is run parallel to the wing there is a greater chance of breaking it off even if it is glassed. I have built all of my warbirds this way and have never had a problem with the trailing edges.