Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

And another CG Ultimate Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

And another CG Ultimate Build

Old 04-19-2010, 07:00 PM
DanS
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And another CG Ultimate Build

I thought i would post a few pictures of my current build. This is my 4th time building this plane. The first one was built in '88 and the last one flew for over a dozen years before being retired. I used some carbon fiber in the tail group, aircraft ply to reinforce the wing rib tab for the struts and the fuse where the cabane struts attach. several other areas received some thoughtful reinforcing based on my 3 previous builds of this plane. The OS 120AX ran well on the bench and is a stump puller. I had a YS 120 on my last one and I think this OS will really light it up!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58040.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	1421206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46735.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1421207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29207.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	1421208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69332.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1421209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20835.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1421210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja40966.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	1421211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln10776.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	1421212  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: And another CG Ultimate Build

Nice!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Dan,
Nice plane. I'm building one as well. New builder only third plane ever. What servos are you using? I am using hitec 645 mg all the way around except for throttle a mini, I think hitec 85 mg. Your plane will be a rocket with that engine. I have a YS 91AC.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I've built 3 of these dudes....my favorite plane ever. I'm hoarding a couple new-in-box.

I always had the cabanes mounted before I sheeted the top...are you making yours removable? I can't imagine the thing with a 1.20
Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

CatRider,
What did you power yours with?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I had a Super Tigre 90 in one, an OS 1.08 in another and a Saito 100.

all 3 were great flyers...the OS 1.08 is a little unnecessary
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
DanS

I took the cabane struts off after sheeting. It's tight but can be done. Makes finishing a lot easier. My first 2 had ST 90's. Flew good. The YS 120 was great. The OS 120 AX should be insane! Throttle management!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The 1.20AX is insane. I am on my 3rd Ultimate from GB. (there was a seagull arf in the middle) I have a 17x6 APC on it and vertical is unlimited to say the least. With a 6" pitch prop it can go wide open straight and level. I would not try it in even a slight dive. Getting the CG where I like was a little tricky. I have 2 elev servos in the tail and the battery is on a tray behind the canopy. With a ST 90 like I had on the other two, the battery was still behind the wings, but the elev servo was in the stock location. Some guys are using a 16x8 on this combo with good results. I started with the 17x6 and like it so well I just have not tried the other. Be sure and post some pics as you cover it.

david
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM
maekju

Hey Dan, My Ultimate is at about the same stage as yours. I have a YS 120 going on mine. What prop did you use with the YS 120? How much did your Ultimate weigh with the YS? I mounted mine with a Dubro soft mount which put the engine about another 1/2 inch forward from using a standard mount. With the engine, mount, pits muffler and true turn aluminum spinner sitting on the nose, I'm a little worried about getting this bad boy to balance without adding a lot of weight. I've haven't installed the radio and servos yet but I'm putting the tail servos in the rear and mounting the aileron servos in the wing. I have a Webra 120 I could use but I've had the YS for so long sitting in the box and wanted to try it out. Did you have to add weight using the YS?

maekju
Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 PM
DanS

I never weighed the the last one with the YS120. I did put the servos just aft of the lower wing and made a hatch that fit the cutout in the bottom of the fuselage. The tank was moved back over the cg and it balanced perfect by just moving the battery around. Are you using standard size servos in the tail? I am using Hitec mighty minis. They are a lot lighter, metal geared, have good speed and torque at 6 volts (I'm using LiFe packs). You might consider waiting to finish the cowl until you can check the cg. That way if you need to space the engine forward a little you don't have to fill any holes.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 PM
maekju

Thanks for the reply Dan. I'm going with Hitec 645's for the elevator and rudder and standard Futaba 148's for the ailerons. I could use Futaba 301's for the ailerons but I'll have to buy another one (I need to cut the spending off on this plane). I'm not planning on moving the fuel tank but the 6v battery pack is kind of heavy compared to the 4.8 pack so I may be ok moving the battery pack far aft. What prop did you use with the YS?

maekju
Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
DanS

I think I was using 15-8 APC. If your putting servos in the tail you may end up with your battery forward. Leave your options open. I hate adding lead to a plane and like to use the equipment to balance it.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 AM
maekju

Thanks Dan.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
flygilmore

Should be getting my first Ultimate kit in a few days and had a question. The seller said that it was from when they first came out....so I am assuming sometime in the late 80's? Is there many if any changes from the kits in the first several years to what Tower sold out of in December? Anyone care to share any insight to the older Ultimate kit??

I have not recieved the kit yet but my plans are to hang on to it for a while and prob. "scratch build" from the kit contents thus saving the actual kit. I have a couple extra FG cowls/pants etc. saving them for when I got a kit version. I am hoping everything is in good shape (no mold, brittleness, cracks etc.) as described it is supposed to be just as it came from Goldberg so we'll see. I am glad to finally own this kit after having flown and seen several others!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 PM
DanS

The first 3 I built were from Goldberg. This last one was from Hobbico or who last cut the kits. I'm glad I built the plane before because this latest kit is not the best quality. Some of the wood is the wrong size, the notched trailing edge for the wings does not line up with the ribs on the plans and is a little short, and several other pieces I have had to adjust to fit. The older kits were much better quality.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have built 3 of these over the years. The first was 15 years ago. The kits are the same then as now from what i could tell.

David
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
DanS

Most of my issues were with the fuslage sides and wing saddle doublers. The older kits were die cut not routed. Everything fit together much tighter without much sanding or altering. Nothing that couldn't be corrected but still not up to quality of the original kits. The wing ribs were slightly different in size but were easly sanded to the same dimensions by stacking together.