Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Can't figure out what to build.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Can't figure out what to build.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
xxwolfyxx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't figure out what to build.

I have a Sterling Stearman, a Midwest Stearman, 2 Sig yak 18's and a Top Flite P-40

Currently working on a TF Cessna 182 (not close to done). I'm planning ahead for the next project and keep going back and forth on what to do next.

The 182 is my first full build after being out of the hobby for many many years. The Sterling was my first intro to RC airplane when my dad had built one back before I was born. He passed away in March and I was lucky enough to have him see that I got another to build.

The Midwest Stearman was I gift I had gotten for my dad about 4 or 5 years ago. He never touched it.

The Yak was also an airplane that dad "started" but never finished before I was born (think my birth stopped the build). I was lucky to get another (his after 36+ years had broken and missing parts so the reason for 2).

The P-40 I picked up just to build because I've like the looks of them.

So most of the above have some strong emotional strings attached.
I'm following a great build thread on the Sterling, haven't found too many build threads on the Midwest (other than it builds tail heavy). Found even fewer on the Yak (there was one good threat but lost it).

Chances are that whatever gets built will be a hanger queen, sort of my little memorial to him (but I do want it air ready just in case .
Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
shd3920

Default RE: Can't figure out what to build.

So sorry to hear about your dad. I would build the Midwest Stearman, and dedicate the build to his memory, seeing as though it was a gift to him. But thats just my sentimental side speaking, let us know what you decide. Would be great to see a build thread when you start.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Andrewmc

I second the Stearman. If you are going to keep it as a display model then put as much scale detail in as you can - it will look great.

Do a build thread whichever plane you decide upon, whether there is an existing build thread or not. You will always find help when you need it and often before you need it.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
flygilmore

Stearman for sure!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 AM
EscapeFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stearman.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Pegleg1972

Stearman.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 PM
xxwolfyxx

Thanks for the input.

So stearman it is. I'm thinking the Midwest Stearman, mainly because it's a tad less sentimental and I want to try using Stits covering for the first time. Plus maybe I can use some ideas from the midwest to make the Sterling Streaman build a bit better.