Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly - .10 engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly - .10 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:23 AM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite Butterfly - .10 engine?

Most people seem to use a .15 engine or larger. How will the Butterfly perform with an OS 10LA?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly - .10 engine?

Very, Very slow. You will need a long runway and make sure there is no wind. You will have to add about 10 oz of lead to the nose so why not go bigger?-BW
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have mine, but it weighs about a pound more than normal due to the DUST that is hosts ...flew mine on an old OS .20 and it was WAY too much power - flew the majority of time at idle. Very short take off distance but it sure doesn't like a crosswind on taxi OR take-off. Landing can be almost vertical with any wind. The plane is really a converted glider and I loved that glider also!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 AM
sandal

BW, this is the Coincidence Of The Day. I had read somewhere that you had a Butterfly. Knowing from a different thread that you have several planes with smaller than recommended engines on them, I was going to send you a PM and ask about the BF. Then I changed my mind and posted it in the kit forum for everyone to read and comment. A couple of hours later you have posted the first reply! My reason for considering the .10LA is that I want to use the smallest engine that will fly the BF reasonably well. If it can climb to "thermal altitude" before it runs out of fuel, I'm happy with it. I definitely see your point about adding weight to the nose. Normally I would rather add engine than lead. OTOH, it would be very interesting to see if this big airplane can get in the air with a .10. Maybe a 15LA will be the best choice. I have a 25LA, but that will probably be too much power.

tailskid, with the .20 engine; would the BF keep altitude at idle? Is it possible to land it with the engine running? Most of my landings will probably be dead stick after a long glide, but you never know, this plane might be fun to do touch and goes with.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:13 AM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to see some pictures/vids. I built the BF last fall and had to use an os 25fx to get it to balance. I have only flown it once, but did not like all that power. I am going to convert it to elec. With an e-flite power 15 and 3cell lipo.

I would love to re-work it and make it lighter, the tail comes out very heavy. I am in the middle of building the smaller Piece O Cake. It calls for a .049, but Im installing an e-flight park 450 outrunner.

Good luck with your motor choice
Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 AM
sandal

ejam,
I'll post a few pictures during the build! Hopefully I can get some video too. There are to few BF videos on Youtube. The BF is on back order, so I won't be able to start building it until mid June...[]
Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My man welcome to the butterfly club {more fun than the mile high club) There right that 10 will be working real hard I had a os15 and then fitted the os20 in mine, I like the 20 best but the climb when under power is fantastic. You can trim the thing to fly level and then when the power is increased it climbs. Now if I was to build one more I would add 10 or 15 deg down thrust on the engine thrust so when the power was increased it will fly level. I added 1/4 of an inch of packing to the top of the engine mount to get mine to fly level. Ejam along with Bonified wingnut and myself had a great time building together you need to look at the thread. Yours Paul T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43741.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1424606  
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 AM
Bonified Wingnut

ORIGINAL: sandal

BW, this is the Coincidence Of The Day. I had read somewhere that you had a Butterfly. Knowing from a different thread that you have several planes with smaller than recommended engines on them, I was going to send you a PM and ask about the BF. Then I changed my mind and posted it in the kit forum for everyone to read and comment. A couple of hours later you have posted the first reply! My reason for considering the .10LA is that I want to use the smallest engine that will fly the BF reasonably well. If it can climb to ''thermal altitude'' before it runs out of fuel, I'm happy with it. I definitely see your point about adding weight to the nose. Normally I would rather add engine than lead. OTOH, it would be very interesting to see if this big airplane can get in the air with a .10. Maybe a 15LA will be the best choice. I have a 25LA, but that will probably be too much power.

tailskid, with the .20 engine; would the BF keep altitude at idle? Is it possible to land it with the engine running? Most of my landings will probably be dead stick after a long glide, but you never know, this plane might be fun to do touch and goes with.
Normally on a sport plane that I can run the engine wide open all of the time I don't mind a smaller engine. With The Butterfly you will be idling alot no matter what engine you put in it. If I were to build another I would go electric since they don't seem to mind idling forever. There is another thread here in kitbuilding about the Butterfly. I ended up building a shorter wing for it and my cousin now flys it as a trainer.-BW
Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

sandal,

Someone on here might be able to give you good advise on building the butterfly to make it lighter on its tail. It seems that most all of us that has built one has came out tail heavy.
I only have 1 and half builds under my belt, so my thoughts might not be the safe way. But if I built another, and I probably will, I would cut lightning holes on the top and bottom of fuse, back half. I would also search for some lighter balsa stick to build the elev, rudder. And another thing that may have added weight to mine is the amount of epoxy I used on the elev., rudder.

One more thought, if you plan to build it for electric, you can save weight, by not fuel proofing. Another thing that I did that I shoulnd have, was fuel proofed the hole butterfly with many coats.

This gives me an idea. I would like to do a Light Butterfly build! What do you guys think? We could see who can make it lightest!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM
sandal

Paul T,
I read parts of your build thread yesterday, and I know one thing for sure: You had a lot of fun building (and talking about) the BFs. A very entertaining thread with lots of useful information! I'm really looking forward to building mine. I will build in a few extra degrees of down thrust - thank you for the tip. And I have more or less decided to buy a .15 engine. They are so inexpensive that I could probably get a .10 later if I want to.

BW,
electric would - no doubt - be the easiest and most convenient way to do it. I can't remember seeing other glow powered gliders than the BF and the POC (not counting Gentle Ladies with Cox pods). The 100" plane with a tiny glow engine will probably raise a few eyebrows at the field, and there is something about IC engines that attract me - although I can't say exactly what. I don't want to say that electrics are a bad choice, or that people flying electrics made the wrong choice, but to me there is something magic about the smoke, sound and smell of an IC engine.

Right now, when I close my eyes and look at my BF when it is finished, it will have a 15LA, 4 oz tank and a huge lump of lead up front. Blue fuselage and yellow wings with blue wingtips. I'll keep dreaming until it arrives in June, but this is how I picture it today.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Bonified Wingnut

ORIGINAL: sandal

Paul T,
I read parts of your build thread yesterday, and I know one thing for sure: You had a lot of fun building (and talking about) the BFs. A very entertaining thread with lots of useful information! I'm really looking forward to building mine. I will build in a few extra degrees of down thrust - thank you for the tip. And I have more or less decided to buy a .15 engine. They are so inexpensive that I could probably get a .10 later if I want to.

BW,
electric would - no doubt - be the easiest and most convenient way to do it. I can't remember seeing other glow powered gliders than the BF and the POC (not counting Gentle Ladies with Cox pods). The 100'' plane with a tiny glow engine will probably raise a few eyebrows at the field, and there is something about IC engines that attract me - although I can't say exactly what. I don't want to say that electrics are a bad choice, or that people flying electrics made the wrong choice, but to me there is something magic about the smoke, sound and smell of an IC engine.

Right now, when I close my eyes and look at my BF when it is finished, it will have a 15LA, 4 oz tank and a huge lump of lead up front. Blue fuselage and yellow wings with blue wingtips. I'll keep dreaming until it arrives in June, but this is how I picture it today.
The problem with an IC engine that I ran into was the long idle periods. The engine would dead stick every other fli8ght because you just could not open it up for an extended period of time. The 15 will probably do better but I just couldn't see adding weight.-BW
Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a .15 LA on mine and it was over powered, if I had a .10 I would just stuff everything I could up front to help with the CG. It's just a glider and it will fly with a 1/2 A engine. As for take off runs I used to just toss mine on a small slope to get it moving, once in the air a stiff breeze will fly it. Great airplane for kicking back in a chair and looking for thermals. More fun then the mile high club?? I think Quigly is doing something wrong!!! Or just not right!!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use an old OS FS26 on mine. It pulls well, is quiet, and seems to run forever on a small tank.

Bill, Waco Brother #1