Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 AM
gerryndennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scully,

Tricycle retracts might just be possible.

I've done it in a similar model, I used a very slim tank mounted on edge hard up against one side of the fuselage, and then I offset the nose gear hard up against the other. The gear retracts beside the tank. The gear is not in the centre but this doesn't affect ground handling.

It will be difficult to get a big enough tank in, but you might manage it.

Dave H
Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

For what its worth, mine had mechanical retracts which worked fine but it was a tail dragger. Single servo in the wing, not the air tank, valve and tubes needed for air all jammed in the narrow fuse. Notice is used "HAD", past tense since lost radio signal and made the 1/2 mile walk for pieces.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scully7272
So can I get a brotherhood number?
Hi Scully, if you scroll back through the thread you will find the roster. rglgatortail is managing the roster since the passing of Minnflyer. I believe jpmorgan was last @ #153. Just take the next number in line and add it to your signature line. Welcome to the brotherhood.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM
carlosponti

This is the first I have heard of Minnflyers passing Ive read a load of his writings on the site and over the years on the forums. I am sad to hear he had passed. Ive missed out on the forums for about two years or more. I really enjoyed reading his works.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow talk about getting blindsided. I had no idea as well. My subscriptions on RCU were messed up for the longest time and I wasn't getting any notices. How long ago did this happen?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
AJsToyz

April 9th 2012
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Quote from RCKen in post #1 "We ask that all proudly display their Ultra Sport Brotherhood # in their signature lines. Let's all tell the world about this great plane and bring more into the brotherhood!!!"

Updated Roster

1. Ken Isaac - RCKen
2. Mike Buzzeo - Minnflyer
|
|
\/
152. winybakken
153. jpmorgan
154. Scully7272

That number is yours remember to put it in your signature.

Last edited by rglgatortail; 01-15-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Super08

Originally Posted by AJsToyz
April 9th 2012
Thank you, still in shock though.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Scully7272

I didn't know him but I have read a lot of his posts. Sounds like he was a good guy..

My 2nd US60 will be in Friday.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Super08

He was a great ambassador to the hobby, I never knew him personally but had several PM conversations with him.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
KaP2011

It is my understanding that without the efforts of Minnflyer and RCKen, the Ultra Sport would have long been discontinued by Great Planes.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 AM
winginnit
My Feedback: (4)

Just ordered the Great Planes Ultra Sport 60... and now researching retracts. Can you make a recommendation re: mechanical vs electric?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 AM
matadco

I had mechanical, not sure now the brand, but buy a good retract servo. I had two cheep servos and the teeth on the gears kept breaking off. Finally bought a Futaba and eliminated the problem. I prefer the mechanical to the pneumatic. Don't like to pump plus when the air leaks off you belly land. However, Spring air solves that problem. When the air leaks off the gears come down. All in all, the mechanicals work best for me, but that is just one persons opinion.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 AM
winginnit

Thanks! How about electric retracts (using a 6 volt receiver battery pack)? Any feedback from other Ultra Sport fans. I haven't had an opportunity thus far using electric retracts. I'm just wondering if the e-Flight retracts 'hold up' over use.

-mike
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 AM
KaP2011

I used the e-flite 60-120 retracts w/robostruts on my US 60. While they work pretty good most of the time, I have had a few glitches. One retract burned out and was replaced by Horizon under warranty. I've had to remove and clean the contacts twice because they would cycle up and down and not lock in place. All in all I would say they work pretty good but if I had to do it again I would use the Dave Brown Souther Pro mechanical retracts and a good servo. Minnflyer had an Ultra Sport build thread and I believe there was a link to another thread in it that describes the e-flite setup.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ld-thread.html

The Dave Brown retracts are, in my opinion, the best mechanical retracts on the market. http://www.dbproducts.com/store/sprt.htm If it were me I would buy the best, metal gear retract servo I could afford. I've used the Dave Brown retracts in the past and they are nearly bulit proof when properly installed and setup.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM
tschuy

I have seen the e-flite 60-120 retracts and I've heard that they are solid and perform well. If I had them I would use a separate battery pack and not put the flight pack at risk of an initial high amperage draw when the retract gear motors are energized to either go up or down. I heard e-flight had engineered soft start in their electronics to help prevent this, but never the less there will be a bit of a draw as the gears are actuated. Price of the gear keeps me away and purchasing a set and my success with using Robart retracts over the years. I've been lucky (I guess) to have not experience a failure as of yet with my retracts (and have flown hundreds of flights) but I take care of them and perform regular inspections. I always check pressure before each flight.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
winginnit

Thank you... that's good info and will help me to decide which way to go. I have a set of Robart pneumatics in my Top Flight P-47 and they are just fine. The idea of using something new and different is always fun to consider when building a new plane. I'm inclined to go with the electric retracts for that very reason. And I'll be sure to utilize a battery devoted to the electric retracts exclusively. Thanks for that!

-mike
Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM
tschuy

The "cool factor" will always being something to consider when building an airplane or installing hardware. I'm sure others will chime in on the benefits of electric retracts over pneumatics, as well as the short comings. It will always come down to personal choice. I personally do not like mechanical retracts and servo's to drive them. It is just how I feel about them. I'm sure that they have worked well for others and probably say that they work better. Each type of retracts has it's merits over the others. I just have had a good experience with Robarts, they have never failed me (due to disciplined use of inspections and maintenance) and the price fits my budget. Electric's are too expensive for what they offer, so I'll stick to idiosyncrasies of the pneumatics and be happy with what I have.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too prefer pneumatics. With a tight Spring Air set up you can get several cycles before you need to pump air in the tank. Electrics and even mechanicals can cause high current drain if they get hung up. Pneumatics will never do that.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM
razorback59

Just bought my second GP Ultrasport .60 kit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnmXqFWqY6g
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Falkwulf

How many rolls of monokote does it take typically to cover a US 60 taildragger? Need to know cause today is monokote ordering
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM
tschuy

So when was the last time you used Monokote? Terrible stuff nowadays. Go to Ultracote instead...
Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 AM
bikerbc

It depends on how many colours you want on your plane . You will need a roll for the wing and you should be able to get by with a roll for the tail and fuse but you will need to be care full . I think I would probably buy 3 rolls because it's nice to have a little extra . Most coverings come in six foot rolls so you can choose either monokote or Ultracote and get the same coverage from either product .. I like ultracote better too but I sometimes use monokote for trimming . After a while you end up with many partial rolls that you can use for trimming your planes so the extra that you buy eventuly gets used up .
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Falkwulf

Thank you for your input. Can a I get Ultracote in a metallic charcoal color, with monokote I can get a beautiful metal flake metallic look for the fuse and top of wing then bottom of wing will be orange. with the charcoal as my trim. I have worked out a way to metal flake the orange to match the charcoal. I was wondering what color is closest to the OSU (Oklahoma State orange, Neon Orange or just regular orange)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM
bikerbc

I have E-flite retracts in my US 60 and the units themselves work great and are ( I am guessing ) easiest of all to install . There is no linkages to set up ,no air tanks to fit in or valves with pumps etc. Just plug them into your rx and that's it . I would not bother with them again in a sport plane though because I find that no matter how careful I am I end up bending the legs when I land or even when I take off . This might not be so bad if I swapped the spring legs out for struts but I think that voids the warranty . It doesn't take very much of a bend in the spring leg before the retract wont fit up into it's pocket and then you need to spend ten or fifteen mins. messing with it to get it working so that you can go out and bend it again . And you have two of them to play with . As I say . I just find they add quite a bit of weight , they are a lot of work to install ,even more to maintain and just not worth it in a sport plane . Not for me anyway . I might try them in a scale plane but I would use struts .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.