Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Zor I might just a well put my two cents in this as long as we are talking about stalls. You are correct as far as you went in describing a stall. Actually a stall is technically when the wing stops flying or fails to generate lift because preasure over the top of the wing is equal or greater than preasure on the bottom of the wind. In a vertical climb you are accurate the wing is not flying, only the power produced from the propeller pulls the plane. The wings act as stabilizers to prevent rotation or spin. Once forward movement stops, the planew will fall backwards toward its tail. Applying rudder will rotate the nose into a downward position. As speed increases in the dive the wings will commence to fly once more and one can rotate to level flight but without adding power the wings will truly "stall". See there, always a smartillic in the crowd!!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Need more rudder and practice catching it just as the airspeed bleeds off. There's a transition there; you'll get it. The US does great stall turns, a lot of fun.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you guy's have jobs to go to or something. You have way too much time on you're hands.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
digital_trucker

The US isn't stall-proof, just highly stall-resistant (and it recovers very quickly). I learned very early to start my landing approach waaayyyyy out and waaayyyyy slow (and even then I often had to dead stick to make a decent landing). Bear in mind this was a US40 with an HP61 on the nose. It did balance perfectly with no nose weight, however.

*chuckle* I used to have a blast doing what I called a stair-step landing. I'd come in about 15 feet up, kill the engine, and hold full up on the elevator until it landed. Thing looked like it was coming down a set of stairs, and the three-point touchdown was always impressive (as was the 1-foot rollout). I mainly did it to hear the old-timers screaming at me to "LOWER THE NOSE!!!". It wouldn't bob the nose much in that maneuver, it would just go forward a little bit, drop a foot or two, go forward a little bit...etc.

Fun stuff!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: matadco

Zor
I might just a well put my two cents in this as long as we are talking about stalls.
Glad to read you.

You are correct as far as you went in describing a stall. Actually a stall is technically when the wing stops flying or fails to generate lift because preasure over the top of the wing is equal or greater than preasure on the bottom of the wind.
I understand this a bit diffefrent than your description above.
As the stalling occurs the smooth flow of airstream above the wings breaks into a turbulent airflow and the venturi effect is reduced resulting in a lower net lift force. The absolute pressure is still lower than the environment but turbulent.

In a vertical climb you are accurate the wing is not flying, only the power produced from the propeller pulls the plane. The wings act as stabilizers to prevent rotation or spin. Once forward movement stops, the planew will fall backwards toward its tail. Applying rudder will rotate the nose into a downward position.
True unless the prop wash (too fast engine idle rpm) counteracting the rudder force coming downwardmight delay the yaw.
Some momentary elevator can also be used with or without the rudder to swing the nose around.
What many fellows are doing is actually fly the nose around and never reaching a real zero speed and fall backward. They usethe prop wash on the rudder to create the yaw.

As speed increases in the dive the wings will commence to fly once more and one can rotate to level flight but without adding power the wings will truly "stall".
Not so, elevator control at the beginning of the dive can control the angle of attack of the wings (as it always do) and the plane can recover to a gliding attitude without using power.

See there, always a smartillic in the crowd!!
Ya . . . I leaned this expression a little different when I was a kid as being a "smart Alex" ( Alex being a first name of that individual). The expression is mostly used as a derogatory term referrring to anyone that knows a little more.

All the best to you in the New Year.
Stalled turns are enjoyable to practice using both methods.
Fly them around or let the plane reach zero speed, fall back and flip over into the dive on its own.

Zor
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 AM
matadco

Hay Zor, thanks for the corrections. Actually we were both saying the same thing with the only difference you were speaking Canadian and to some extent pure English while I was speaking Oklahoman, which is a totally different language understood only by Oklahomans. Occasionally though I break into Texan since that was my birth language. Finally please take into consideration the increased knowledge in the last 60 years since I learned about flight at Camp Walters helicopter school. But then they were talking about rotating wings rather than fixed wings. Serioursly though I was unaware slow wind speed over the top of the wing caused a turbulant effect reducing the venturi effect. Is that true in landing and take off speeds also? That must have been taught the day I was on sick call. Serious though hope you and yours have a great new year keeping the clean side up and the dirty side down.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 AM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

I had plans to get out to the field this morning and work on that "finesse", too bad I'm not cleared for IFR flight. The kids have things to do this afternoon, this morning was mine to fly.......but it's going on 11am and fog is just starting to burn off! My next chance to fly will be Thurs morning. I'll let you know if I make any headway then.

JP
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: matadco

Hay Zor, thanks for the corrections. Actually we were both saying the same thing with the only difference you were speaking Canadian and to some extent pure English while I was speaking Oklahoman, which is a totally different language understood only by Oklahomans. Occasionally though I break into Texan since that was my birth language. Finally please take into consideration the increased knowledge in the last 60 years since I learned about flight at Camp Walters helicopter school. But then they were talking about rotating wings rather than fixed wings. Serioursly though I was unaware slow wind speed over the top of the wing caused a turbulant effect reducing the venturi effect. Is that true in landing and take off speeds also? That must have been taught the day I was on sick call. Serious though hope you and yours have a great new year keeping the clean side up and the dirty side down.
Hi matadco,

Thanks for the Serious good wishes. I shall contimue my best to keep my clean side up (knowledge) and my dirty side down (ignorance). ___ .

All participants in this hobby do so for their particular interest. Their interest and motivation is not for anyone else to discuss.

Comparing to computerswhich we useto participate in this forum, we do not have to know or understand how they function to use them. Same for model airplanes(aircrafts) .

When I was young, that was World War II times, there was no computers. I was fascinated (I do not know why) by airplanes. As the war ended in Europe and then with the far east I was too young to have any money tolearn to fly. In 1948 I had a good job and started to take flying lessons. Ended with a commercial license and eventually became an instructor and later on acaptain on a corporate Aero Grand Commander.

My interest in aviation was deep trying to learn all I could. No one knows it all. The most knowledgeable individuals, I think,are those who had (have) the opportunity to work in the research departments of airplane designers and manufacturers. Like many hobbyists, I enjoyed flying more than spending times in a laboratory or a research environment.

It remains true however that some basic knowledge of aerodynamics including some basic knowledge of radio sciences makes this hobby much more fascinating. I graduated in electronics in the old days when I was 18 years old.

I do not speak Oklahoman nor Texan. I first learned to speak Yankee and later picked up some French.
Comment allez-vous? ___ Je vais tres bien, merci, et vous?

I can manage in a French environment Quebec style. When I was travelling in France some French people thought I was from Belgium. In Belgique they were asking me what part of France I was from.

All quite interesting and I have to say I much enjoyed reading your posting with a nice sense of humor.

Enjoy the New Year and the hobby.

Zor.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM
rthalls
My Feedback: (63)

need help guys need the rib patterns for the ultrasport 1000
bought some plans and there is no drawing for the ribs thanks bob
Old 01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

rthalls:

The bad news is that the Ultra Sports all haveblended airfoils. That is, the root airfoil and the tip airfoil are different, and the ribs in between are graduated to make a smooth transition from one to the other. Each rib is a different shape (not just a different sze)from the ones on either side of it. You will need rib outlines for each and every rib.

The good news is that you can get a set of plans that do showall of the ribsfrom www.RCMplans.com .

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: rthalls

need help guys need the rib patterns for the ultrasport 1000
bought some plans and there is no drawing for the ribs thanks bob
I got my 1000 wing from here http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/index.html save a lot of build time, I think it cost $40.
Ken
Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 PM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

read your post this morning and am curious as to what prop you are using.i have an ultrasport 40 with a magnum 61xl 2 stroke running 15% with an apc 11x7.this thing is to fast for me have to start my approach in the next county to slow it down.would like to continue using the same engine but maybe a bigger prop.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks Freddy
Old 01-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: freddy s

read your post this morning and am curious as to what prop you are using.i have an ultrasport 40 with a magnum 61xl 2 stroke running 15% with an apc 11x7.this thing is to fast for me have to start my approach in the next county to slow it down.would like to continue using the same engine but maybe a bigger prop.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks Freddy
Use your throttle control and slow down.

Zor
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrfpac

You will need rib outlines for each and every rib.
Not true. You only need the root and the tip.

Both LEs are the same and both TEs are the same. Stack 9 pieces of balsa between them and sand to shape.

It would be the same as if you were cutting a foam wing
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM
rthalls

THANKS for the information about the web site , didn't see US1000 listed but sent them a note
Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
rthalls

the plans I just bought are for a kit and not for scratch built. there is a out line for ribe #1 but not for the tip ribe , how can I get it ?? thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 AM
box car

THANKS for the information about the web site , didn't see US1000 listed but sent them a note
http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/foamwings/wing-u.htm
#4 from the bottom part# W1650
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 AM
rickbrad
My Feedback: (30)

Anybody have instructions or a build thread showing how to install landing gear/retracts in a foam wing?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Zor
Banned

the plans I just bought are for a kit and not for scratch built. there is a out line for ribe #1 but not for the tip ribe , how can I get it ?? thanks
You can scale down theroot rib any amount you wish and thus define the taper of the wing.

Note that when sanding in-between ribs pressed together and then distance them apart the angles of the rib countour do not follow the new surface .

Zor

Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 AM
box car

ORIGINAL: rickbrad

Anybody have instructions or a build thread showing how to install landing gear/retracts in a foam wing?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10425098post 17
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Minn Flyer......
Can you elaborate on the criteria for those wing ribs?

Do you have an actual template?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I have not gone to Eureka's site; is the 1000 they fabricate a 74 or the 80" wing? Any other changes?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: Roary m

I have not gone to Eureka's site; is the 1000 they fabricate a 74 or the 80" wing? Any other changes?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

After more than a year I'm still building my US60. This is a kit for someone who loves to sand. I guess I've been spoiled by the newer laser cut kits, where you just throw all the parts up in the air and they come back down fully assembled.

I'm almost ready to start covering. Just need to finish the fairing on the bottom of the wing beneath the fuse and the fillets on top of the wing that blend the fuse.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
matadco

try using a razor plane, it is much faster than sand paper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.