Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

I like those gear. That's the way to go if you're not using retracts.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
mechdrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US60, OS75AX w/ 13x7 APC. I moved the cockpit back about 5in and addded the fuse mounted gear to change the looks a little. I'm not sure how moving the cockpit will affect knife edge. I also added flaps per Minnflyers' recommendation.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 AM
box car

Out standing build, great looking plane. I love it when some one thinks outside the box
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Moving the cockpit back 5 inches is a cool mod. I think it makes an already nice looking airplane look even better. Let me know how she flies.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mechdrew

US60, OS75AX w/ 13x7 APC. I moved the cockpit back about 5in and addded the fuse mounted gear to change the looks a little. I'm not sure how moving the cockpit will affect knife edge. I also added flaps per Minnflyers' recommendation.
Andrew,
very nice, she looks great.. I was just getting around to covering mine this week, but I'm glad that I took a look at yours first.. I love the look and will add your change to mine, but will be sure to tell folks where I got the idea..lol

Mine has retracts moved out one bay thanks to Mike, I also have flaps thanks to Mike. Also filled my bays around the gear with spray foam thanks to, well you know..I see a pattern here.. Mine has a ST90 (Italy made)on a tuned pipe and will have Hitec 645MG servos all around..

If you don't mind me using your idea, I will post some build pics as I go to show the other guys that might like to know...
Awesome job........

Jimbo
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

Moving the cockpit back 5 inches is a cool mod. I think it makes an already nice looking airplane look even better. Let me know how she flies.

Here here, I agree 100%........ I wonder if GP has ever thought about doing a new US 60 or bigger with the many mods that have been done to the original, hint hint Mike...............
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quickturn,
Love your aircraft. Whose land gear?
Thanks,
John
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the look of the canopy moved back, but I've compared some pics side-by-side and I think I still like the original better - Although I did notice that depending on the color scheme, the moved canopy could look better.

As for permanent mods, GP did some of them with the Ultra Sport Plus, which didn't sell very well. I asked my friends in R&D about updating it and they said it was considered, but it was decided that the Ultra Sport airframe was (as they put it) "tired", so rather than revamp it, the designed the Revolver in it's place.

Jim Samdquist of Great Planes let me fly his Revolver at the 2010 Watts Over Owatonna event and I have to admit, it's an excellent plane. (They even used a variation of my color scheme on it)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I like the look of the canopy moved back, but I've compared some pics side-by-side and I think I still like the original better - Although I did notice that depending on the color scheme, the moved canopy could look better.

As for permanent mods, GP did some of them with the Ultra Sport Plus, which didn't sell very well. I asked my friends in R&D about updating it and they said it was considered, but it was decided that the Ultra Sport airframe was (as they put it) "tired", so rather than revamp it, the designed the Revolver in it's place.

Jim Samdquist of Great Planes let me fly his Revolver at the 2010 Watts Over Owatonna event and I have to admit, it's an excellent plane. (They even used a variation of my color scheme on it)
Got ya Mike, makes sense... But what if they kitted the revolver, do you think they would sell? I know kits are almost a thing of the past, but I sure domiss them..

Jimbo
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM
mechdrew

Thanks for all the compliment guys. This was my first build since 1994; boy have things changed. ARF's were just coming onto the scene then, now we are flooded with them. I can see why their popularity has grown because I probably have spent at least twice what the average arf costs just on the build, not including engine and radio. Another thing to consider is the time it takes for a full build. But, I have always enjoyed the build. I have actually started hoarding some kits, SIG Bonanza ca. 1979, GP Super Aeromaster, Midwest AT-6, and a Four Star 60. I plan to bash the Four Star into a Spacewalker for my next build.

Jimbo, Please feel free to use any of my ideas in your build; you know what they say about imitation.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Here here, I agree 100%........ I wonder if GP has ever thought about doing a new US 60 or bigger with the many mods that have been done to the original, hint hint Mike...............
I am building one right now that is 15% bigger off enlaged RCM US-60 planes. Wing span is 71 inchs and the fuselage is 60 inchs.I have many pictures of the build I will post when the plane is done. I think my next build will be a US-60 Biplane or a US-1000-25% 92 inch wing span.
Ken
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
mechdrew

You have sparked my interest with the idea of an US60 bipe. I trying to visualize what that would look like, I''m thinking that with two wings you could make each wing thinner. I remember seeing a concept of a twin boom US that Minnflyer put together which also got we thinking how cool would it be to build one of those. Maybe Mike could work is magic with photoshop and put together the bipe idea.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Quikturn

mechdrew,

I've been hoarding kits myself. Building for me is half the fun and nice kits are getting harder to find.

How about a twin US ala dualist?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

mechdrew,

I've been hoarding kits myself. Building for me is half the fun and nice kits are getting harder to find.

you mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66046.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	1746249  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 AM
box car

Very nice plane Robert a work of art.
Ken
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Mustangman40

I think i am going to leave well enough alone on mine, I put mine on the bench last night and this is my opinion...

I think moving it back will compromise the strength of the fuse, there would be a whole lot of stress on the sides with a hard landing having retracts installed like I do.. Andrew has it right with the fixed gear he is using, if i build another one it will be set up like his...

I drew it out some on the prints and you can see I would loose F3A and the BG support, moving it back will start messing with my servo location which I already have done as well..

Looking at the pic where I drew it out on the fuse, you can see what i mean about not having much there across the wing.. I mocked up my pipe last night and I need a different header, I had to use the extra large on the Toni, but need the smaller one on the US.. I have to pick up my covering tomorrow and it's finishing time, I will post picks when she is ready for her maiden

Jimbo

Name:	Fd92787.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1746297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29686.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1746298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97642.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1746299  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
box car

You are right to leave it alone at this time, its something you would want to do while building. When I did mine I just ran the floor back to F4 that gives you a lot of strength back.

Ken
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: box car

You are right to leave it alone at this time, its something you would want to do while building. When I did mine I just ran the floor back to F4 that gives you a lot of strength back.

Ken
10/4 on that Ken, that's what I was thinking.. Right now there is not a good way to do this and get the good strength.........
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM
box car

You have sparked my interest with the idea of an US60 bipe. I trying to visualize what that would look like, I''m thinking that with two wings you could make each wing thinner. I remember seeing a concept of a twin boom US that Minnflyer put together which also got we thinking how cool would it be to build one of those. Maybe Mike could work is magic with photoshop and put together the bipe idea.
When I build my biplane I will get 2 sets of foamwings and buildthe rest off my RCM plansand use the same type of landing gear you have on your plane and A ST-90 up front.
Ken
Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 AM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: box car

Very nice plane Robert a work of art.
Ken
Shoot sorry about that Ken, everyone else, this is not my plane I have been trying to figure out who this plane belongs to for the past three years, I have had this picture all this time wondering who's this owner is and if this plane is still flying, how it flies, is it fixed gear, are the changes to the fuse to "help with the looks of the plane in general" I mean i have a bunch of questions. I have the picture on my computer desk back wall so I can stare at it .
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
mechdrew

When you mentioned US bipe I immediately thought of the Harmony II F3A.

Name:	Ig11251.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	1746322  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
box car

When you mentioned US bipe I immediately thought of the Harmony II F3A.
I can see why, nice looking plane. I think a US-60 bipe will be easy to build.
Ken
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Harmony is Korean for Grandmother.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Harmony is Korean for Grandmother.
I will sleep much better now knowing that...........
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Quikturn

ORIGINAL: rglgatortail

mechdrew,

you mean like this?
Yes! That looks very cool! Thanks for the picture.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.