Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Tubthumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Thank you everyone with the comments about my build ideas. I've decided against the Sato FG-14. Not sure what it's going to be but definitely a 4 stroke, maybe a FA91

I'm still on the fence with the flaperon thing. My take on it is a flap is a lift increasing device which allows you to fly at a slower airspeed. The consequence of increasing lift with flaps is you also increase drag. The turbulence of induced drag is what causes the boundary layer separation causing the stall condition. This is the nutshell version of what I was taught in A&P and flight school.

Now my logic comes in to play here with the full span flap idea is that by increasing lift over the full span of the wing you don't need as much flap to create the same amount of lift you create with conventional flaps. I believe what people are doing is trying flaperons and setting them at what the regular flap setting would be which would be too much. I'm thinking somewhere around 5 to 8 degrees would be sufficient. I'm not an aviation engineer and don't know any to discuss with this so I'm relying on those who have been there before. I lost all my textbooks in a fire so they're not available for research. This shouldn't be too much of a problem with today’s internet.

Zor, I don't see washout being an issue because the leading edge doesn't change. However, I've been wrong before. This theory deserves further investigation.

My observation though is there aren't many full scale planes out there with flaperons. That indicates there's something to not using them. I only know of 1 kit plane which used them. (I don't remember its name but I'll see what I can find. It looked like a mini Maule) I'm not sure if it's due to aerodynamics or rigging (cables and pulleys etc to make it work). If it's rigging then we have the problem solved with the computer radios. I'm not willing to experiment with this plane. It's time to dig out the Nexstar again.

So far my build progress is the tail feathers are glued together and I'm sanding.
I think my next build is going to be a wind tunnel. LOL
Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will be safer flying your US with a flap setup vs flaperons. Because with flaps you're only increasing the angle of attack on the inboard section of the wing where the flaps are. If the wing stalls in the region where the flaps are first you should experience a higher sink rate but still have aileron control. With flaperons, assuming there is little or no wing washout (outboard section of the wing is twisted down) the whole wing can stall giving you a corkscrew into the ground.

Like Tubthumper says, flaps increase lift and drag so you would need to fly your final approach with more power or make a steeper descent to compensate. Flaps also lower the nose a bit.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tubthumper
>
>
>
Zor, I don't see washout being an issue because the leading edge doesn't change. However, I've been wrong before. This theory deserves further investigation.

My observation though is there aren't many full scale planes out there with flaperons. That indicates there's something to not using them. I only know of 1 kit plane which used them. (I don't remember its name but I'll see what I can find. It looked like a mini Maule) I'm not sure if it's due to aerodynamics or rigging (cables and pulleys etc to make it work). If it's rigging then we have the problem solved with the computer radios. I'm not willing to experiment with this plane. It's time to dig out the Nexstar again.

So far my build progress is the tail feathers are glued together and I'm sanding.
I think my next build is going to be a wind tunnel. LOL
Tubthumper

unquote

I wonder from what you wrote and I just quoted above what is your understanding of washout and washin.
The leading edge does not change is correct. What changes is the angle of incidence built into the structure resulting in a diffeent angle of attack from root to tip.

The washout can be gradual from root to tip or can be built only in the outer part of the wings where the ailerons are.

As i think I wrote before, flaperons are used to allow aileron differential and exponential.
Also used for setting up camber in which the trailing edge moves only 1 or 2 degrees.

Have fun with your wnd tunnel LOL.

Zor
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
box car

Will I never used flaperons and never will. I use flaps but in another way. My flaps are tied into my elevator control. Up elevator down flap and down elevator up flap. No drag on take off. Makes aerobatic maneuvers a lot of fun.
Ken
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Quikturn

ORIGINAL: Zor

As i think I wrote before, flaperons are used to allow aileron differential and exponential.
Also used for setting up camber in which the trailing edge moves only 1 or 2 degrees.

Zor
Flaperons have nothing to do with differential and exponential.

Differential is where an aileron deflects downward less than it deflects upward. This is done to decrease adverse yaw while rolling. Sure, you could use the flaperon function to achieve the same thing but it's not the proper way to do it because you are also changing the incidence/AOA of the wing. You're much better off programing in differential on your radio if you have 2 aileron servos. If using one aileron servo it can be mechanically set. I mechanically set differential on a Sig Kobra and rolls were straight as an arrow.

Exponential is where the ailerons (or any other control) can be made less (or more) sensitive near the center position of the stick giving you a softer more managable feel. I added aileron expo to a Shrike 40 I had that was very twitchy and it made the airplane easier to fly.

Think of flaperons as a poor man's flap system. No added servo or linkages required.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

ORIGINAL: Zor

Zor
Flaperons have nothing to do with differential and exponential.

Differential is where an aileron deflects downward less than it deflects upward. This is done to decrease adverse yaw while rolling. Sure, you could use the flaperon function to achieve the same thing but it's not the proper way to do it because you are also changing the incidence/AOA of the wing. You're much better off programing in differential on your radio if you have 2 aileron servos. If using one aileron servo it can be mechanically set. I mechanically set differential on a Sig Kobra and rolls were straight as an arrow.

Exponential is where the ailerons (or any other control) can be made less (or more) sensitive near the center position of the stick giving you a softer more managable feel. I added aileron expo to a Shrike 40 I had that was very twitchy and it made the airplane easier to fly.

Think of flaperons as a poor man's flap system. No added servo or linkages required.
Quikturn

I read your posting with great interest as I also read the DX7 instruction manual at page 44 where it is printed exactly as I type the text here ___

quote the manual exactly asprinted.
Flaperon Wing Type Selection
Flaperons require the use of one servo for each aileron and allow the use of ailerons as flaps or spoilers. This function also allows the precise independent adjustment of up and down travel, and independent sub-trim and differential of each aileron.
unquote

I certainly do not claim you are wrong. There might be more than one method of setting up these functions but the manual text is quite clear to me.

I conclude that "flaperon" has something to do with setting up differential travel of the ailerons.

Thanks for your post that makes me do some more thinking.

Zor
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
yukonflier

Another Ultrasport 40 ready for the flight line Did all the mods...Retracts mounted 1 bay outboard, flaps, taildragger. The trim is a tribute to the Canadian Snowbirds. Just waiting for a day without so much wind to get it in the air! Thanks to everybody for the tips and suggestions I picked up in this thread
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38524.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1760468   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10687.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1760469  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Tango Juliet

Very nicely done. Good luck with the maiden. Photos and video if you can.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
box car

Very clean looking, good build.
Ken
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: yukonflier

Another Ultrasport 40 ready for the flight line Did all the mods...Retracts mounted 1 bay outboard, flaps, taildragger. The trim is a tribute to the Canadian Snowbirds. Just waiting for a day without so much wind to get it in the air! Thanks to everybody for the tips and suggestions I picked up in this thread
I have a strange display on my monitor as if the airfoil was upside down.

As if the right wing should be on the left and vice versa.

Could you give us a picture of the wing tip with the camera pointing toward the fuselage ?

Thanks from Zor

Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Quikturn

What a fantastic job you did yukonflyer. Congratulations! Very tastefully done.

Which covering did you use?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
smkrcflyer

Very nice yukonflyer. How did you blacken the canopy, paint or dye? Mine is ready to cover I'm just not sure what scheme I'm going to do.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
kgibson4
My Feedback: (4)

Yukonflyer,

Your leading edge treatment is very realistic! What material did you use?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM
yukonflier

Thank you for the kind words. To answer the questions,the covering is all Ultracote...the silver leading edges, the red and blue RCAF rondells,and the stripes. I forgot to get a picture today of the bottom, which is also red and white, in the Snowbirds motif.
The inside of the canopy was painted black before installation. The engine is an OS .46AX.

Zor - I'm not sure what you see, but it's really not a very crisp picture. I'll get more next time I'm out. I can, however, assure you that the airfoil is correct side up
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

yukonflyergood looking bird. If it flys as good as it looks you'll have a great time. As to Zor's comment about inverted wing, at first glance it appears that way but after a closer take it's ok.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: matadco

yukonflyergood looking bird. If it flys as good as it looks you'll have a great time. As to Zor's comment about inverted wing, at first glance it appears that way but after a closer take it's ok.
So . . . I was not the only one to first have this impression.

I magnified the pictures up to 400% before posting my comment.

Zor
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Tango Juliet

It does look wrong at first, but it's just the lighting on the white wingtips and the angle of the camera, it tricks the eye.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tango Juliet

It does look wrong at first, but it's just the lighting on the white wingtips and the angle of the camera, it tricks the eye.
I now realize that what we see is on top a barely visible line that appeas to be the top of the airfoil and a higher curved line below which actually is the the curve of the wing tip piece.

All straightened out; thanks folks. A good optical illusion.

Zor
Old 05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's time to get back to my US 60 build. I have the main structures complete but I have not started the final assembly. I intend to power my plane with an OS .91 Surpass II. I'm sure someone has already done the 91 and I'm wondering how the balance worked out. Was weight needed in the tail? Was is still tail heavy with the 91? I remember when I built my first one I used an OS .61 and had to add weight to the nose. At this point I can still remove alittle weight from the tail by cutting some lighting holes in the tail surfaces if I need to.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
kgibson4
My Feedback: (4)

KaP2011,

The OS engine site lists the weight of a .61 SF as 19 oz. and the .91 Surpass II as 22.6 oz. Do you know how much weight you had to add to balance the .61? If it was about 3 oz. you will probably be in the ballpark with the .91.

Just crunching numbers since I don't have a US 60.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been too many years since I last built a US 60 to remember. That was around 93' or 94'. It seems that I had to add more than 3oz to balance. No big deal, I can pin the tail feathers on and do a rough balance check.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Scirocco14

Getting very close! Just need to paint the inside of the canopy before mounting it, install the landing gear in the wing and balance it out.

I was very careful with the paint and it looks like it'll come in at 5 lbs, 5 oz (empty fuel tank).

Can't wait to try it out.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63463.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1768044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54884.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1768045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26789.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1768046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55484.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1768047  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 AM
smkrcflyer

Looks very nice. Are the accents paint?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Scirocco14, very nice. What Fox engine are you using?

Bruce
Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Scirocco14

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

Looks very nice. Are the accents paint?
The wing stripes are painted, but the tail trim is vinyl. I may go back and spray the tail stripes at some point. It's just been hard to find a dry, calm day to paint lately and I was getting antsy to fly it!! The problem is that when it's dry and calm outside, I want to go flying instead of working on airplanes in the shop.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.