Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to put an OS 120AX in mine with a tuned muffled pipe. For two purposes really. First is that with a properly tuned installation there is a pretty good boost in power coming from the engine. I've done this on a Bridi XLT with an OS 60 installed and it really took off. Vertical climbs would or could go out of site if I let it. Secondary reason is that we have some noise restrictions at our field and I found that using a muffled tuned pipe, it is actually quieter of the stock muffler then what comes with these AX engines. Less of a pop of the exhaust note. I'm very careful about tuning them in and making sure that the mixture is dialed in. Adding a tiny bit of extra oil in the fuel helps keep thing lubricated and protected. Oil content is fine for standard muffler configurations but internal pressures are a little higher on an engine when getting the pressure boost waves from a tuned pipe exhaust. Klotz oil goes a long ways for keeping the metal to metal contact at bay. Been using it for years with great success. I'm able to keep my motors running for a long time. Weather it be OS, Super Tiger, Tower Hobby or who ever. Treat your engine with respect, clean them regularly, use good fuel with the right oil content called by the manufacture and maybe add a percentage point or two when running a two stroke, then properly tune your mixture, and maybe you'll have the same success. Never tune an engine so lean that the exhaust note actually cracks of pops at full throttle. In the air it will unload and turn lean on you. Evidence of that will be the shinny metal flakes in the oil sludge left on your airplane when you land. I've actually read in a few places where the experts have said it is best to run the larger displacement 2 strokes at or near a four stroke sounding fuel mixture setting. The added fuel and oil really helps pull the heat away from these engines.

My UltraSport 1000 wing build commences after Christmas! I'm looking forward to it. Tail feathers are already done. Built to plan. I love this plane!

Cheers,
Timmy 2.0

(I use Timmy 2.0 in my signature as a tribute and a small joke from work to signify that I've been given a 2nd chance in life after surviving a very scary Cancer situation. A type of cancer that is very very agressive in nature, now I'm the improved version of Timmy 1.0. Renewed purpose in life, family and career. Serve to help others and hopefully inspire.)

Yes that hat is my actual AMA #. I have been in the hobby ever since I was 12 years old.

Last edited by tschuy; 12-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
lonestoner

Tschuy,
There is a great thunder tiger 1.20 for sale in the marketplace still, take a look at it and read reviews.
Stoner
Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 PM
tschuy

Thank you Stoner for the engine info. But already committed hardware wise to use the OS 120AX. Header, pipe and engine mount already purchased and sitting on the bench waiting for me to use. But your info is sincerely appreciated. Perhaps another could benefit?

Cheers,

Last edited by tschuy; 12-21-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo corrections...
Old 12-24-2014, 02:00 PM
lonestoner

Tschuy,
I have been flying a tiger 60 with a saito 91 for a few seasons and the 4 stroke is just not my thing,it happens to be the best engine I have ever ran .I am waiting to power my us 1000 with a moki 140 but I need to save up cash,it costs 350 $ so it will be a bit.after the running a 4 stroke I miss the 2stroke scream across the sky.
i also will start my build later on .
Old 12-24-2014, 06:21 PM
tschuy

Thank you Lonestoner... You'll have to share how the Moki 140 performs. I'm locked in to the OS 120 AX as stated earlier. Cost me more of my fun money if I try to switch at this point. I'm sure with my engine choice, I'll do pretty good...

I also have an UltraSport 60 kit still new in the box that needs to be built. My winter build season is all planned out.... Engine choice I went there is an OS 60AX with tuned pipe and header. I had the same setup on my Bridi XLT and it went like a rocket ship. Very smooth, powerful and ran perfectly for several flying seasons. Again a well maintained, tuned and properly lubricated engine will treat you well.

Wishing everyone one a very merry Christmas to you and your families. Have fun but also be safe!

Last edited by tschuy; 12-24-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-25-2014, 07:33 AM
lonestoner

I agree on keeping the maintained engine at all times,for sure will let you know how it goes , happy holidays
Old 12-27-2014, 11:35 AM
stankinator

Has anyone converted a trike to tailwheel? I'd like to do it with mine, but the manual makes it look like it might be impossible without removing the center sheeting and messing a little more with the inboard ribs than I'd like to.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Calvinman

I put the mains on the fuse Stankinator, easy to do, makes the fuse easyer to transport.

Calvi
Old 12-27-2014, 12:02 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to remove the leading edge sheeting over the bays that have the tail dragger main gear mounts in them. Add rib doublers and the gear blocks, then replace the leading edge sheeting in that area. It will not be necessary to remove the old gear blocks.

Jim
Old 12-27-2014, 12:09 PM
jrf

Calvin's solution is clean and easy, and will work well if you fly from grass. If you fly from a hard surface runway, that puts the main wheels too far forward and ground handling will suffer.

Jim
Old 12-27-2014, 12:10 PM
stankinator

I considered that. I was thinking about putting retracts in as well, though (but that would be much more involved than just moving the gear forward). I'll check it out--as unfortunate as the factory gear looks, I want mine to look good if I'm going to go through that kind of work. Is this you? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348179

Now that I think of it, though, I intend to replace the pilot figure with a GoPro, and perhaps the trike gear would suit that better (but then again, who cares about what the camera sees when the plane's on the ground?).
Old 12-27-2014, 12:12 PM
stankinator

For what it's worth, jrf, I do fly from grass most of the time, and I'm working on my tailwheel endorsement, so perhaps having a model that keeps me on my toes will keep me sharp.

Last edited by stankinator; 12-27-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Calvinman

I don't mind the take off roll on either the landscaping cloth runway we have or the grass, I just roll on the throttle slowly. If there is a crosswind it is a little different though for sure, but the US can be forced of the ground in a very short distance if needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	2058143  
Old 12-27-2014, 02:35 PM
stankinator

That looks very similar to what I am planning to do. It looks like there's some reinforcement on the fuselage where the lading gear meets it. Thin plywood?
Old 12-27-2014, 02:38 PM
stankinator

Also, that looks like the Dubro Semi-Scale tailwheel--is it the 20-60 size or the 40-90 size? And is your US a 40 or a 60? Mine's a 60.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears to me that the tail wheel in the picture is too small for the model size.

Zor
Old 12-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Calvinman

HI guys, it is a 40 size. the tailwheel looks small but works great off of grass or the fabric. Can't remember what size the tail wheel is I just grabbed what the LHC had in stock. The mains are great it would be nice if they made a larger version. I epoxied a 1/4 inch piece of ply to mount the mains and use two 10/32 nylon bolts in the front two holes. This is my first year back at flying after a 15 year hiatis and the bolts break away when I slam her in. The bolts do not work very well in the cold though and I am going to try to lgo with four for cold weather flying. I also glued a 3/8 or 1/2 piece of ply for the tail wheel. I think the only draw back to having the mains so far ahead of the CG is that the plane will land 3 or 4 times unless you hold the tail up or stall it in on landing.

Calvi
Old 12-27-2014, 05:48 PM
jrf

On hard surfaces, It will try to ground-loop on takeoff and landing also.

Jim
Old 12-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Calvinman

Yes it is more challenging for sure Jim, we fly off of a fabric runway which is very slippery, I have to roll out the throttle slowley and take it easy on the rudder. Landings it seems to be very well behaved though.

Calvi
Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM
stankinator

Fortunately, I do not expect to take off from or land on any hard surfaces soon. In reality, I probably won't be flying the US again soon. I need to work on my flying skills with some easier models first. It needs to get recovered, too, and that will be either a project for spring break or the second week or so of January. Here's the new scheme (with bonus crudely photoshopped wheel pants!):

Still not sure about making it a tailwheel (it would look a lot better and probably handle my local grass a lot better, but it would take a while and be reasonably expensive on my budget), but I have until the new covering goes on to make that decision.

Comments or suggestions about the color scheme, anyone? Also, I'm not totally sure about the side design--it could look better, but I have very little experience working with it so I'd like to keep it simple. I'm also a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, so the colors making up the scheme aren't about to change.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us60-scheme.png
Views:	158
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	2058198  
Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The colors and pattern look fine to me. Keep it simple till you get some practice. You'll gain experience quickly. Just remember to work your way from the back to the front and bottom to the top. Air flow will try to get under any exposed edges.
The ultra sport can be a very docile plane when set up properly. The us 60 was my second plane after a trainer and while I did have some hair raising experiences I wouldn't have changed a thing.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and mine was a taildragger with mechanical retracts that I built in motels while I was working out on the road. Got some funny looks from maids and was thrown out of 1 motel.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM
stankinator

Nice. The US was my second plane too, but I haven't flown in a while. Fortunately, I don't intend to fly the Ultra Sport until it heats up again and I have a dedicated winter plane until then (an Electricub for which I built skis over Thanksgiving). By the time summer comes back my flying skills should be sharpened and the Ultra Sport (re)finished.

EDIT: I thought this didn't get posted. Sorry for the duplicate.

Last edited by stankinator; 12-27-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:39 PM
stankinator

Nice. Thanks for your confidence in my covering design/ability. The Ultra Sport was my second plane too. I got it used and have flown it previously, but I havent flown much in several years. Fortunately, I have a dedicated winter plane (an Electricub I built skis for over Thanksgiving) and won't be flying the US until summer, so by then it should be finished and my flying skills should be sharpened once again.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 PM
stankinator

Oh, and the top of the cowl and cockpit will be black as well (oops) to reduce glare for the camera. I may try to make it a flat finish as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.