Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New kit from Sig???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New kit from Sig???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New kit from Sig???

Just saw this on the Toledo 2010 article here on RCU. Sig Four Star 20ep. It is listed on www.sigmfg.com at $79. Seems a bit high for a small lecky kit but I will likely get one and make it a .25 sized glow. Gotta support Sig!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31602.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1430708  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
mclina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New kit from Sig???

I've been wondering when it would show up on the Sig site. I am surprised that the price is no lower than the Four Star 40, but I guess is does include a cowl, and the engineering for the '40 was probably paid for years ago.

I will probably buy one when it shows up at my LHS. I think that I would rather build it with the side cheeks and make it look like a traditional Four Star.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
flygilmore

Is that a Herr pitts in the background or some other??
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

Is that a Herr pitts in the background or some other??
I would say, yes. I have built a couple of Herr kits and the box in front of that Pitts is definately a Herr box.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

When kits get down to this size range, cost is more about the manufacturing of the kit then the actual materials used to construct the airframe...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Excellent. You never hear about any new kits. Only new ARF's. Good on SIG for developing an actual new kit. Sometimes you hear about a manufacturer bringing back an old kit for a limited production run (like the ultra sport) but you never hear of any of the big manufacturers developing new kits anymore. Sad.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: mclina
I will probably buy one when it shows up at my LHS. I think that I would rather build it with the side cheeks and make it look like a traditional Four Star.
You have a LHS that will actually stock a kit?!? Count your blessings, man.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
mclina

ORIGINAL: GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: mclina
You have a LHS that will actually stock a kit?!? Count your blessings, man.
They have a fraction of what they had even a year ago, but they still do carry at least one of all the popular kits currently in production. If they don't put on one the shelf, I'll order it through them.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM
WCB

Last I heard Sig is about done. I hope not but it sure seems like they are headed that way.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll probably end up buying one of these kits though I need it like a hole the head. I had just started cutting out parts for a .25-size Corkscrew from RCM plans when they announced this thing.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
sneakywrist
My Feedback: (19)

I have an Eflite Power 15 set up laying around, do you think it would be enough to pull this around. I havent built a kit since the mid 90's and this looks like a good possiblity since I have all the electronics laying around.

FYI,
Power 15 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 950Kv

Key Features

Equivalent to a 15-size glow engine for sport and scale airplanes weighing 36–56 oz (1020–1590 g)
Ideal for 3D airplanes weighing 32–40 oz (910–1135 g)
Ideal for models requiring up to 575 watts of power
High-torque, direct-drive alternative to inrunner brushless motors
Includes mount, prop adapters and mounting hardware
External rotor design—5mm shaft can easily be reversed for alternative motor installations
Slotted 12-pole outrunner design
High-quality construction with ball bearings and hardened steel shaft
Quiet, lightweight operation

Overview

The Power 15 is designed to deliver clean and quiet power for 15-size sport and scale airplanes weighing 36 to 56 ounces (1020 to 1590 grams), 3D airplanes weighing 32 to 40 ounces (910 to 1135 grams), or models requiring up to 575 watts of power.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WCB

Last I heard Sig is about done. I hope not but it sure seems like they are headed that way.

I hope you are wrong, but you seem to hope you are wrong too. They are nice folks at Sig.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-15-2010, 05:39 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: sneakywrist

I have an Eflite Power 15 set up laying around, do you think it would be enough to pull this around. I havent built a kit since the mid 90's and this looks like a good possiblity since I have all the electronics laying around.

FYI,
Power 15 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 950Kv
Sneaky,
This motor will be perfect.

One thing I've noticed is that the electric motor industry numeric motor sizing is not quite the same as equivalent glow sizes even though it probably started out that way. Even though it is listed as a "15", it is capable of over 500 watts which clearly puts in the sport .25 glow engine category. A prime example of what I'm talking about is the Great Planes "25" size warbirds. They're listed as .25 glow size but the recommended electric equivalent is actually a "10".

Mike
Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

I'll probably end up buying one of these kits though I need it like a hole the head. I had just started cutting out parts for a .25-size Corkscrew from RCM plans when they announced this thing.
TB,

I LOVE the Corkscrew, I hope you do a build thread with lots of pics. One of my first builds after getting out of the Army was the Corkscrew 1.20. What a neat plane.

Mike
Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you guys say the E-Four Star would compare to an E-Super Sportster (ARF vs kit aside)? I believe 4* are semi-symmetrical. Are SS's fully symmetrical?

I've been thinking of a small low wing e-model that would be good for my younger brother.

Anyone have one of these kits yet? It would be interesting to see how the frame looks. I've built a 4*40 in the past but I'd imagine that frame design might be a tad heavy for a 25 sized e-model.

David.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
sneakywrist
My Feedback: (19)

Has anyone heard anything from Sig yet. Made my purchase a month or two ago. I know it would be awhile but would like at least an est date off availability
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

sig is terrable... My wife ordered me a kit on dec 12th... i still dont have it and every time i call i get some bs excuse about bad wood, shortage of wood. equipment broke... starting cutting the kits next week. ****... it has been 8 months.
dan
Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Dsegal

I ordered the Four Star 20 from my LHS two months ago and no sign of it yet.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM
sleepin

Since I got back into r/c a year ago, I've heard how great SIG & Telemasters are but you can't buy either one ....what a marketing tool, I always want what I can't have!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 PM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

I ordered the SIG Four-Star 20 about 3 months ago from the SIG web site.
So far have heard nothing.

I wonder if SIG is still in business ??
Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
R!aan

Guys, SIG is still in Business they are having a real hard time finding a supplier for their AA wood and it should be logical to check wether the kit is in stcok before ordering or is that just how I think? I'm buisy with a 4 Star 40 that I got in 5 days from order (International) 2 weeks ago ,so I'm pretty sure that when they have them made you'll get it soon but im not sure how long it will be bofore they have wood... 
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
wazzbat

I have to agree it is a good idea to check stocks before you order.  When I checked with SIG, they had the LT-40s in stock but not the Mid Star 40s so I found an online shop that had both and got them shipped!  They weren't going to be in stock for 3 weeks and I couldn't be bothered waiting.  You might be lucky if the Mid Star 40s were going to be ready at the end of this month then the 4 Star 20s might be ready by the same time?

Hope you get your kit soon anyway!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 PM
fly20
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: sleepin

Since I got back into r/c a year ago, I've heard how great SIG & Telemasters are but you can't buy either one ....what a marketing tool, I always want what I can't have!
The telemasters are still be kitted and sold by aerocraftrc.com.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

I called Sig yesterday and ordered one. The women told me I was the first to order one,LOL. She said by next week they would start sending them out.I'm puting a OS 26FS in it. Came outa a crashed cub I flew for firteen years. Still has the orignal plug in it too, and have never touched the valves.Great runnin motor.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: lilhachet

I called Sig yesterday and ordered one. The women told me I was the first to order one,LOL. She said by next week they would start sending them out.I'm puting a OS 26FS in it. Came outa a crashed cub I flew for firteen years. Still has the orignal plug in it too, and have never touched the valves.Great runnin motor.
Did you mention this post?? Going to be fun to see how long it takes to get your order. Please post up when it gets to you. Years ago I went through this with another company. I finally canceled the order after 6 months then 6 months later I got a call that the kits had come in. Now I'm like Riann and if it isn't in stock I don't order, I just shop around a bit more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.