Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building Tools Organizer

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building Tools Organizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Tools Organizer

I'm getting ready to build a kit for the first time in a while, and my bench space is at a premium...What does everybody use for organizing their building tools and supplies and keeping them within reach? I'd like to have a central place i can put my 3 types of CA, 2 types of epoxy, 3-4 different x-acto knives, mixing sticks and cups, epoxy brushes, sanding bars etc. I know great planes makes this thing called a bench topper. Has anyone built an improved version of this?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Building Tools Organizer

Organized tools? It just doesn't seem right.

I have a box to put some stuff, a drawer to shove things in and a few bowls to scrape stuff off the table into.

Oh yea, and on one side of my bench I have a bunch of holes that about once a year I put all of my screwdrivers back into for 5 minutes or so.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
cpeisher

it's crazy..i was listing the tools i would like to be in my organizer and there were so many i was like i would basically need another workbench to store things in...i'd need cutouts for pens, pencil, 6 and 30 min epoxy, regular titebond glue, thin med thick ca, debonder, accelerator ( i have actually never used either of those last two...) glue tips, hinge cutter, 3-4 hobby knives, 2 pull saws, epoxy sticks, cups and brushes, extra baldes, scissors, wire cutters, needle nose and blunt nose pliers,  rulers, builders triangles, square etc....
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
shd3920

Not organized in the least. Power tools and such are in my dresser drawer, some hand tools in my flight box, others are in a tool box, and still others are on my building table and shelves. Time to get organized I know, so soon I will be tidying up and for awhile at least be organized.

Steve
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

The only time my tools are organized is when I'm NOT building...[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Been building for 30 years and never got 100% organized but lately I have come close to it!!!![&:] Like you said, there are so many small tools needed and I wont try to list them here because we all know what we need by now. But storing them in a useable and convenient manner always eluded me. First I just had them in drawers elsewhere in my garage and took them out when needed and shared the tool box I take with me to field on flying days. Then I drilled about 200 holes in a 4X6X18 inch block of balsa for the tools and had a tray for glue etc. but it took up too much of my valuable building room. One day I was looking out back and my son had brought home a small roll-away with a big bottom section and 2 good sized drawers. I kept looking at it and hit on using 1X4 pine on 3 sides with all the holes to put my most used hand tools and a Robart airplane cradle on top with a wood base to give storage under and the same tray for my glues etc. I keep my other building stuff, clamps,scales,pens,Dremel set, Dial Indicators,drills, chemicals,Iron and Heat Gun, clamps etc. in the drawers and in the bottom and even have a towel dispenser and ash tray for my cigars on it all at hand. For ME this is working great!!!! we are all different so maybe it isnt for you but after all these years I have a solution for my hundreds of small tools. I keep my flight line tool box near but I duplicated most of the tools so I never need to rob from it and risk going to the field without a needed tool. now I can keep my building table bare (sure I can) and keep my tools (hopefully) in their proper place, so far it is working great! the first pic is when I had it on the bench... not good, the next 2 pics show the little roll-away, no not beautiful to look at but very beautiful to use! I can put a fairly large airplane on it for tinkering with and still roll it anywhere and still have a clear build table, anyway, this is my solution for a problem that plagued me for years!!! it is always changing for my needs as well and maybe a slightly larger roll-away or even a tool cart is in my future.My little garage has to serve multiple roles and my build bench doubles as my welding table for instance, everything is on wheels and that helps alot! always open for ideas and suggestions too! BTW, the Wal Mart plastic drawers sometimes on sale cheap are a life saver too! things like servos,extensions, mostly things not needed all the time can be stored in these and simply labled with a Sharpie, looks good too! and saves tons of space!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81011.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1437982   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43844.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1437983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34812.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	1437984  
Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

I set up an old card table behind me. I keep all my hand tools, glue, sand paper, etc. on the table during the building process. I put away my power tools at the end of the day because they take up too much space and I don't use them that often. I always have that needed hand tool at arms length. It keeps me from making a hundred trips across the shop each building session, but most of all, it keeps me from dinging up my model as I work on it. I never have a tool on my work top unless I'm using it. I do the same for the building, covering, painting, radio set up, etc. Just use different tools for each stage.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Organized tools? It just doesn't seem right.

I have a box to put some stuff, a drawer to shove things in and a few bowls to scrape stuff off the table into.

Oh yea, and on one side of my bench I have a bunch of holes that about once a year I put all of my screwdrivers back into for 5 minutes or so.
Are you sure your not talking about my shop??
Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: FentonFlyer

The only time my tools are organized is when I'm NOT building...
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
buz2au

in my workshop I've got 18sq meters of hanging space for my tools - it's called the floor
Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a long block of 4X4 white packing foam and just stuck my small hand tools into it. Glues are on the side of the bench in a box I made. Right hand drawer is full of most often used hand tools like drivers and pliers, it's a hunt and peck drawer. Left one is full of odds and ends stuff and far left is least often used tools. The foam block has really worked out well. During a build or repair they are like everyones and all of them end up on the bench so I have to search them out. End of the day I put them back so I can find them again the next day.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's discusting! How can you find anything????

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/64396/Ca81011.jpg[/img]
Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I've got a big blue Rubbermaid container that says "Dan's modeling stuff - poisonous do not touch" with a little skull and crossbones on it. This is for my general building equipment. When I'm done building a kit...I organize my tools the same way each time. I situate the Rubbermaid at one end of the table, walk over to the other end of the table and lift it high in the air!!

Whooosh!! In one fell swoop my tools are organized in the blue bin.

My precision tools like calipers, incidence meters, etc., are kept in a drawer in my regular tool chest.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This works:

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr8500.html
Old 05-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Daddyo57

Allthegoodnamesaretaken, If you had read my post you would see that I didnt like that arrangement and used that pic as a how NOT to do it... I made a separate dedicated roll away just for my RC tools only. I have automotive tools in two other dedicated roll aways and the system works for me.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was being sarcastic. I joke with my friends that every time I clean my shop, I can't find anything...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Daddyo57

Figured you were and it WAS disgusting, but it is how I came to MY particular solution, as I said, it works for me but we are all different. I have honestly been trying for many years to solve my particular tool dilemma, I have so many small tools and now it is a pleasure to build and maintain my little fleet because everything I need is in its place and close at hand, amazing how much time I save now... But do you guys tend to get real messy when you are almost done with a build? it seems like that is the time when I have tools and stuff everywhere! [:@] have to stop, take a breath and put it all in it's place so I can find it again[sm=red_smile.gif] BAX i do like that little organizer you guys sell for sure, it just needs to be 3 feet wide and 2 feet taller with wheels to hold all the little tools and glues etc I seem to collect over the years! it looks good and more importantly, functional.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 AM
cpeisher

Yeah i agree, it's really nothing moro than a glue holder.  I needs lots more holes for knives pencils, pliers etc....
Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 PM
crossman

I do have one of these on the bench, mostly for knives and glues. I also have a large piece of pegboard above the bench for storage. i mostly gets picked up and storted when I finish something, I rarely clean up mid-project (this makes things quite interesting when I have 3 or 4 things going at once) I do have 3 large drawers under the bench to hide stuff in and a couple of plastic boxes. One holds all of my covering tools, the other is often the pieces from my latest "landing mishap".
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 AM
aerofly0610

Check local walmart for sales. I got shoe box sized Rubbermaid containers on sale for a buck. Got a dozen and organized everything into them, then stacked them on a shelf. I then got a cheap wall shelf and put it at eye level above my table top. My most used tools just sit on there. Yes the only time it stays clean is when... im not building lol.

Oh and I also picked up a cheap rubbermaid locker and put all my chemicals in there for safety. Have fun organizing!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 AM
cpeisher

Cool thanks!  IU'll keep an eye out for them at Walmart.  I'm also considering spending some time in sketchup and designing one that will hold all the bench tools when building, just like the great planes, only bigger and more slots for other items.