Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit sent and damaged in shipment

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit sent and damaged in shipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit sent and damaged in shipment

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this but it involves a kit. I sent a kit half way across the country by XXX and they crushed and detsroyed the contents. It was insured. But if you read the "by laws" of shipping it seems the insurance "might" be a waste of time. I was just wondering if any one out there has had any luck collecting on the insurance. So far I can't say much for their cooperation.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Kit sent and damaged in shipment

Yes but it doesn't happen over night.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XXX is a bad shipping company, dont use them.

Now to a serious resonse.The major shipping companys will honor a insurance claim on a crushed shipment. Of course, if you warpped in tisue paper vs a strong box, they may balk. All you can do is file a claim and then wait the long time required before they pay off. I've had damaged and lost goods that were insured. The lost ones take quite a while, while damaged ones are usually a simple claim. File the claim withe the XXX comany and see what happens. Not much else you can do.

Don
Old 05-16-2010, 06:18 AM
jjscott

If XXX begins with "U" I can relate my insurance experience. I sent a fiberglass hull boat kit half way across the US. UXX crushed the box. The recipient noted the damage and UXX picked up the box. They advised him the contents were improperly boxed and denied the claim. The box was sent back to me. I protested and found UXX has a company that manages their claims. Basically, I think their standard procedure is to deny most claims and force you to fight for the insurance you paid for. It's the same old "it's not my fault, it's your fault" line. I had several conversations with the claims company as well as photos showing creases in the box where it had been crushed. In the end they paid the claim but not the original shipping cost I paid. A couple of weeks later the UXX driver came to pick up the kit, no doubt so it could be sold in some damaged goods auction somewhere.

It was a pretty unpleasant experience, and I no longer use UPS unless there is absolutely no other option.

Jim
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Several years ago I went thru the same thing with the postal system. They wanted me to send it several hundred miles away to St. Louis so they could asses the damage. Then they would decide how much if any they would pay. But if they paid any thing at all then I wouldn't get it back. Damage was only partial. I only wanted a small payment, not the total value. Thought I was being generous only asking for the amount of damage instead of the total value. But the wholoe process was so involved I just let it go. I think thats what they want any way.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don, did we loose anything in the mail???
Old 05-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Campgems

Nope, it got here OK.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Having shipped 1000's of packages over the years, i can tell you that USPS is almost always the best way to go. UPS is extremely hard on packages, and will very rarely payoff on anything -
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

Best advice i can give you is to document every conversation with customer service and send letters and emails as much as possible. Take lots of pictures and be meticulous in your note keeping. They will pay, but you have to keep them on their toes. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

I like Fedex ground. They are not the cheapest but in my case, they seem to be the most reliable.

www.rcaircraftworks.com
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ronwc

Having shipped 1000's of packages over the years, i can tell you that USPS is almost always the best way to go. UPS is extremely hard on packages, and will very rarely payoff on anything -
Well,

I have to agree with this statement 100%. I live in Canada and UPS has become a shipping company of questionable validity. Not only are parcels routinely mishandled and regularly damaged but they also charge and exorbitant brokerage fee for getting a parcel through customs. Lately this fee has been in excess of 30% of the value of the package - simply unacceptable.

The postal system on the other hand has been nothing but a pleasant experience over the last few years. It is simple, it is fast and it is very reasonably priced. In fact, they don't even deem it necessary to charge tax unless the value of the package is in excess of a certain amount - but I have no problem with that.

I've had good experience with FedEx but they are a "we're good, we're fast and we charge for it" company. If you need something fast, use FedEx. If you're shipping or receiving hobby items, use USPS - especially in the US. The only draw back with the postal system on international shipments is that one relies on various countries postal system if the parcel is traveling far away. In my case, I'm lucky as there is only USPS and Canada Post involved and Canada Post is a fine service based on experiences I've had with the postal system in other countries I've lived in.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

An employee for UPS came to my home to inspect a package that had puncture holes in it. The inspector advised me to send the item in for warranty repair. After a lot of calling, I got someone high up in UPS and told him that my wife witnessed that statement. They suddenly became anxious to get me my money.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

I am stunned to hear that a UPS inspector told you that...it's such a foolish statement.