Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

what size fuel tank do i need?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

what size fuel tank do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size fuel tank do i need?

hello. i have a midwest aero-star 40. im to the point in the build where i have to fit it with a fuel tank. only problem is, nothing tells me what size tank to put in. ive done some checking, and found that dubro seems to make the style of tank that the diagram shows. now i just need to know what size. can anyone help me with this? oh, and this kit was manufactured in 1987, so im sure its different from the ones made today. thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: what size fuel tank do i need?

The tanks are still made, nothing there has changed a lot over the years. You can measure the tank shown on the plans and go by that if room is a problem. I usually figure one ounce per minute but I really don't use that much most the time. It's just my ball park figure.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Andrewmc

For the 4 star 40 an 8 oz tank was called for on the plans, I have a 10oz in mine - larger tank equals longer flyinging time but also more weight and trim changes during the flight. I would go with the 8 oz if you are using a 40 or 46 engine.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

What engine are you using? If it's a .46....use a 10 oz. tank. Dubro, Graupner, Sullivan...all good ones
Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You also will want to leave some room on all sides of the tank for foam to wedge the tank in place so it don't move. An 8 oz tank is always a safe bet for a 40 size engine. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

well, i took measurements from the tank in the plans, and from what i got, an 8oz isnt big enough to fit the dimentions, and a 12oz is to big. so, im putting in a 10oz. i guess the dimentions have changed slightly over the years, but its almost a perfect fit. thanks for the good suggestions all. im off to get the tank today!