Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

BTE Venture 60 kits shipping soon!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

BTE Venture 60 kits shipping soon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BTE Venture 60 kits shipping soon!

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

Anyone come up with a good alternative to the flimsy gear?
My gear has hundreds of flights and is still very solid.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I don't know how I've only flown mine about 6 times and after the 3rd I had to re-bend the gear as it was flattening out. never had a hard landing with it either. Maybe mine was softer aluminum than normal, even the guys at the field were shocked to see it bend so easily.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get your kit a LONG time ago? In the first couple of V60 batches, I used .090 aluminum. Got complaints, so bumped up to 1/8" aluminum, but we're talking about maybe 15 years ago....
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Star7

Thanks again for bringging the venture back. I just got my kit and is is beautiful quality.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received my kit tonight. Thanks Bruce!
John
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Here's the video from my 2nd flight. You'll notice the gear sagging from the first to last landing. 10-15mph 45 degree crosswinds make for a fun time landing.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYcRAN62Jlk[/link]

Shane
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM
JNorton

Here's the video from my 2nd flight. You'll notice the gear sagging from the first to last landing. 10-15mph 45 degree crosswinds make for a fun time landing.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYcRAN62Jlk[/link]

Shane
So how thick is your gear. Is it the new stuff? I used Bruce's gear on a Four Star 60 I built and had zero problems with it. Very sturdy. I'm really puzzled.
John
Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Pit-Viper 1

I've compared to the stock 4 star gear I have and it is thinner than that. Not sure of the thickness as I don't have an accurate way to measure it.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
JNorton

You've got the original kit stock. The new stuff is thicker than the 4 Star. Let me look if and see if I can find the old gear. If I can I'll send them to you.
John
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Pit-Viper 1

JNorton, thanks. Bruce is going to hook me up when I order my kit. By the way do you just call to order or email? I got my first one off RCU after they were discontinued.

Thanks again

Shane
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
JNorton

Call Bruce to order. He is a really nice guy.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Will do..

Thanks

Shane
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM
JNorton

I'm glad Bruce is going to take care of you. I moved two years ago and still haven't got the shop completely done. I know exactly where the gear were - just don't know where they are now. Boy is that frustrating.
John
Old 06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Bladejunkie

Anybody started their new kit yet?I had a couple of hrs last night,got the left wing panel done.Maybe tonight I'll get the right side done,and then join them tomorrow morning.This kit is a very easy build,I think it would be a very good first kit build.As a matter of fact I think one of the young guys I fly with was going to order one this morning,he's never built a kit plane yet,and wants to build one at the same time I'm building mine.Anyway lets keep this thread alive,and keep Bruce busy!!!Later

Jim.
PS my Father's Day gift came this morning,a brand new Saito 82B for this airplane.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 PM
airbusdrvr

The Saito 82 should be a perfect motor
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Clay Walters

My kit arrived Tuesday but I have another I intend to build first and my garage is in disarray and my building table occupied with other items just now. Not certain when I'll have the build table set up and start building but I've suscribed to this thread in hopes that it becomes a "build thread" with the current batch of kits. I've seen a few other build thread for the Venture in the past but would prefer to see current kits and current bashes when I get ready to build. I know each aileron will get its own servo but am not sure if I will locate the stabilizer and rudder servos to the rear or amidship instead of the usual tray location. And though I prefer a 4-stroke I just happen to have a freshly broken in Super Tiger 75 that I might utilize since I've seen it repeatedly posted by folks very happy with it in this model. Would be very interested to learn if the current kit builds nose or tail heavy too.

Regards,

Clay
Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Mine came out perfect with a 5-cell sub-c pack located under the tank and the servos in the tray. I also have a Saito 1.25 on mine. The only thing I don't like with the servo location is that the push rods tend to vibrate a lot unless you use flex rod in a tube that fits nicely. This is what I use.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFU91&P=SM[/link]

The servos in the tail would be good if you use a spinner as it would probably balance out. I don't use one or it would be slightly nose heavy. you still may end up tail heavy as the ST.75 is a bit lighter. Great engine though. I had one in a H9 P-47 and it flew it effortlessly. This is for engine reference only..

[link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Hangar9-P-47-mpg[/link]

Shane
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I don't know how I've only flown mine about 6 times and after the 3rd I had to re-bend the gear as it was flattening out. never had a hard landing with it either. Maybe mine was softer aluminum than normal, even the guys at the field were shocked to see it bend so easily.
Hmmm- surprised to hear this. I got the Venture 60 gear from Bruce for my 4-Star and went out to re-learn how to fly and land after 13yrs away from the hobby. Nine months of flying, landed hard enough to knock the gear off the plane three times and have yet to bend the aluminum. Just bolted it back on (four 1/4-20 nylons), same shape/stance as before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71098.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1459566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54745.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1459567  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Got a message from Bruce and it seems its from the earlier kits. Newer ones all have the thicker gear.. My old 4* had 100's of flights on the original gear and never had a problem. New Venture gear is the same I believe.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Lowvoltage

I know this is an old thread. The Venture 60 is a really well built kit. They have been out of production for quite some time. The following is an email I received from Bruce Tharpe today.

www.btemodels.com

Hello Venture 60 Enthusiast,

First of all, this is not all bad news. In fact, many of you already know that a new batch of Venture 60 kits are in the works right now and they will be ready soon. Ideally, I was hoping they would be ready in time to ship for Christmas. That seemed like a make-able goal a few weeks ago, but for a variety of reasons it is taking longer that anticipated. Right now it is looking like kits will be ready to ship a couple of weeks after Christmas.

Many of you have been on my notification list for a very long time and this announcement probably doesn't affect you too much. But for the handful of people who have been in touch more recently, and to those I have been telling "no problem" by Christmas, I sincerely apologize. I hate to disappoint anybody so it just seemed fair to give you some advanced warning on the situation.

So you know, I won't take orders until the kits are ready to ship, that's just how it's done at BTE. This is a big batch of kits and there should be plenty for everybody when the time comes. In the meantime, keep the faith, have a Merry Christmas, enjoy the holidays, and you will be hearing from me again very soon with the "good" announcement,

Thank you all for your extreme patience,

Bruce Tharpe

Bruce Tharpe Engineering | 8622 E Evans Creek Road | Rogue River, OR 97537