Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultra Sport 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultra Sport 60

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
eskimo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Sport 60

I'm finally dusting off the box and starting to build an Ultra Sport 60. I was thinking of putting an OS 91 FX in it that I have lying around. To much? Its the same physical size as an OS 61 FX. Also wondering if a 3 -blade prop would work so that I don't need to lengthen the landing gear very much. I plan on building it as a tail dragger.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Sport 60

It won't be too much, but it's not really needed either.

Do yourself a favor and move the wheels out by one rib bay and try the flap option
Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Eganwp

I'd do it. My ST 75 from Italy just aint enough grunt in my US 60 for flying pattern/IMAC. For basic sport flying only even a .61 would be fine though.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
eskimo

I'm looking to get into pattern flying, so i suppose the extra power would be beneficial for the various maneuvers.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The extra power would be nice, but forget the 3 blade prop. A APC13x8 would be the ticket.

David
Old 05-29-2010, 06:13 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not in rush to start and have time to look around a bit, you might consider a different landing gear configuration. Before I started my US1000 build, I had seen one with the gear mounted to the fuse instead of the wings. I thought it looked better than the stubbier wire gear called for in the kit. One day at the club field I saw a guy flying an Ultimate Bipe that had neat looking gear. I bought from Great Planes a replacement gear set for the Ultimate Bipe and installed it at the rear of the reinforced tank compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx72653.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	1444365  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ST .90 on my U,S. 60. and it's overkill. for the plane. Going to switch to a ST.75 as the 90 isjust not needed and I think takes away some of the flyingstyle of the plane. Hard for me to explain , but the extra thrust is pulling the nose around and fighting the airframe. I,m not sure if I'm explaining it right , but it;s the first plane I have over powered , that I didn't like the extra power Weird huh?