Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Maiden of the 4*

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Maiden of the 4*

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maiden of the 4*

I know, another 4*60 but I use this kit as a teaching aid so I have built a few. This is the first time I have built one bone stock though so it's a first for me. I would talk my student through what I was doing and show him how then glue it up. Then I would turn over the glue bottle to him and have him build the other half. In this case the student caught on very fast, this was good for a change. Bone stock build using a nice OS .61AX, also the first one I have ever done and not used the Saito 100. A mix of standard Hitec and JR servos and using the Futaba FASST 2.4 6 channel radio with a 6 volt battery pack. I try to only use Ultrakote covering and this is there Corsair Blue. Maiden was today.
It required a little left aileron and down elevator trim and flew just like all the 4*s, slow and smooth. I was really surprised at the roll rate with this big stock wing but it was really smooth and quick without and diving. I thought it was very under powered but I pulled one huge loop from straight and level without having to add any correction inputs. Loops and rolls were all I tried today, my eye sight was off a bit {a lot, that age thing again?} and I didn't want to risk the fellows plane. Landing was so normal, brought it in and cut throttle and it landed. Just another 4*, don't you wish all planes landed that easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time of build, 6 working days from start to finish. Another proud 4* owner and a brand new builder!!
Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15815.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1445932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95990.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1445933  
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maiden of the 4*

Ah, the trusty 4*s. Probably the best 1st kit, the best 1st low wing, the MOST trustworthy plane to have in your hanger. If ya want to get a "new guy" hooked on flying, just put him in a 4*. The 4*s will NOT give you any suprises. Nice looking plane GrayBeard!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Gray Beard

The photo is of the owner/student and he liked that blue. After I landed he let me know he lost it in our nice blue sky as soon as I was up a couple of mistakes high. He went home with it and it is now getting some wide white stripes on the bottom before the next flight. I used to use the SupreSportster kit as a teaching aid. I can't remember who put me onto the 4* but it really is a smooth plane, easy to build and easy to fly. As my first stock one I was impressed with how well it flys but I would still take out a couple of wing bays.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66547.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1445958  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A project well done.
Congratulations, Gene and the new builder!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Gene - It's Clean.

I couldn't resist.

It's great that you've had the chance to teach a young guy to build and that he wanted to build. Hopefully enjoyed it. Next, hook him up with those 80 inch Sukoi plans. I bet he'd be all over one of those planes.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

Gene - It's Clean.

I couldn't resist.

It's great that you've had the chance to teach a young guy to build and that he wanted to build. Hopefully enjoyed it. Next, hook him up with those 80 inch Sukoi plans. I bet he'd be all over one of those planes.
The kid didn't stick. I have more luck with older people as students. They tend to have the time, money and don't care about the girls!!! I don't teach scratch or plans building at all. When I was building for other people I never built from plans for anyone either. Working with Bill on his Smurf was a joy. Only down side to it is I started doing repairs and engine work plus wood working at my club and haven't gotten back to my own kit. Too bad the kid didn't stick with it, he soloed in two days, it could have been one but I held him back. He was really a good pilot. I figure he will be like a lot of us and pick it up again when he is older.