Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit. Need Help with Supplies!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit. Need Help with Supplies!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 10:51 PM
MockV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit. Need Help with Supplies!

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be getting my Aero-Star kit soon. But before it comes, I'd like to start shopping for my building supplies. Already got my working area started on.

I'd like to find out what supplies I should be looking for. Also, which brands are the best used so far. Such as types of epoxy, ca (what does that stand for anyhow?), sandpaper, iron/heat gun, etc.

Also, if anyone out there has built one of these kits (or similar type) I'd like to find out if I should watch out for anything in particular when building. I've already sent out for Getting Airborne #1 and 2 by Harry Higley. And when it comes time for covering, Tom's Techniques by Higley also. Can't wait to get started!

On Tower Hobbies, I found this neat little covering/trim chart to use.

Like always, any help is very appreciated.

MockV
Old 02-04-2003, 11:13 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi MockV-
Here's a small list of the things I use most when building:

-CA, thin, medium and thick
-CA Accelerator
-Razor saw
-PLENTY of razor blades or xacto blades, whatever your pleasure
-Wax paper to protect the plans
-Toothpicks for getting glue to hard to reach places
-Q-Tips for getting glue out of hard to reach places
-Sandpaper, like you said, I use 100, 200 and 400 grits
-T Pins for holding parts in place
-30 Minute epoxy - I find this is strong enough for everything but cures fast enough so that your whole night of building isn't over when you use it.
-Top-Flite Iron and Heat gun like you said
-Paper towels for wiping sawdust, etc. etc.
I feel like I'm forgetting a few things, possibly many things, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling.
Enjoy!

Reid
Old 02-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Live Wire

Check with your LHS. I wish I was in Ca. These people will be glad to give advice and take your doe. Most shops are great people. If you want to shop on line it is easy but be carefull. Follow Instructions on what yo use and where to use it and you can not go wrong. Remember extra strength means extra weight.
Do not take short cuts It may be the long way.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Live Wire

You got it man go for it sound like you have a handle on it. Caught me typing did not get your last post in time. Enjoy building and flying. ENJOY
Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Mystic6
My Feedback: (1)

As a new builder, I can suggest buying your #11 blades in bulk. Trust me, you will use them! Maybe not so much when you're building, but when it comes time to cover, you'll go through them like a kid through Halloween candy.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Tippie

MockV

A few more items that are important:
Needle nose pliers (miniature)
Combination square - how else will you get the formers straight?
Titebond - wood glue
Small spring clamps - clothes pins work fine also
Sanding block
Razor plane
Metal yard stick for a straight edge - take the ruler out of the combination square for short surfaces.
Band-Aids for the small cuts from the xacto knives - tourniquet (yeh, that's the right spelling, I looked it up) for the big cuts.
5 minute epoxy for the small/quick bonds that need strength
A nice assortment of drill bits (small)
And above all a flat building surface!!!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 02:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cigarettes... Lots and lots of cigarettes.

And BEER! Don't forget the beer!

Did I mention cigarettes?
Old 02-05-2003, 02:59 PM
G.F. Reid

Ca= Cyanoacrylate
Now you know why they call it Ca.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Quote from MinnFlier:
---------------------------------------
Cigarettes... Lots and lots of cigarettes.

And BEER! Don't forget the beer!

Did I mention cigarettes?

----------------------------------------

Crack me up, Mike! I gave up smoking six months ago and still miss....no, long for, those quiet building times with a beer and a cig. Sigh......

Anyway, MockV, the Aerostar was my first airplane many years ago. Just lost her last year to a dead battery after over 10 years and 1,000 flights! You couldn't have picked a better plane.

One last thing I might add to the great list of have-to-haves you've already received are micro-dispensing tips for your thin CA.

Beginners (me, too!) seem to always use much to much CA. These cheap little tips will allow you to actually dispense one little drop at a time. You'll have less of a chance of gluing your plans/wing/wax paper together! LOL

The Aerostar is a straight forward build. Great picture manual/plans that leave nothing to guesswork.

You won't have any trouble! Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Phil69

Built one a couple months ago. Here's what I remember about the experience...

Good kit, wood well cut, no discrepancy between the parts, the pictures, the manual, the plan, etc... Not like my second kit, the GP cub 40...

Need some CA accelerator for the fuse mainly: CA does not stick too well on plywood, and the fuse is all plywood...

Since you will most likely use too much CA (I did too!), use foodwrap stuff rather than wax paper...

Tends to be tail heavy so keep that servo tray close to the front.

Epoxy the servo tray supports, mine came unglued in a rough landing. No problem since.

If you tap the holes in the engine mount, go slow... I broke the tap in the 4th hole...

The screw that holds the front landing gear wire/collar assembly needs to be replaced: it is made of a soft metal and the threads get messed up real fast.

I used regular hinges (with a real pin) on it and cutting the slot and epoxying them is not easy and rather messy. I would probably use CA hinges now, the slots are a lot easier to make.

You want to follow the Manual advice and fill in the area where the stab is glued to the fuse, then epoxy it. My stab came loose twice on rough landings.

I use an OS 40 LA and it is just enough power. It could use a little more.

I would stay away from 5 min epoxy, especially when joining the wings. At least 15 min or even 30 min.

Use epoxy rather than CA (the fumes!!!) for the fiberglass reinforcement of the wing. Dilute with 90% isopropyl alcohol until it has the consistency of motor oil. Cut the edges of the fiberglass cloth before applying it or you will have a ridge once the epoxy cures.

It is easy and fast to build, looks fairly good for a trainer and is a lot of fun to fly. I recommend that kit!

Good luck,

Philippe
Old 02-06-2003, 11:28 PM
BECKERFLY

MinnFlyer,

thats funny!!!! but right on the money.
a desk lamp, #2 pencils, ca accelerator, and maybe ca debonder for your after building sessions. especially if your messy like me and get the stuff all over your fingers. get extra tips cause the one will usually clog before all the glue is gone.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:11 AM
MockV

Default Thanks SO Much!

Thanks alot for all the great helping information. Guess what? The plane is finally here! Arrived during my lunch hour. Opened it up and made sure that everything was okay and quickly snatched out the manual to read! Still though, I have a few more questions....

-The CA accelerator just quickens up the drying/curing time, right?

-Which is better to use Titebond or CA? Would certain areas need one over the other for strength? Or are they the same?

-What's the difference between thin, medium, thick CA and what are the different applications for each? I haven't found any info on this yet.

I know I have more questions, but can't think of them as of yet. Thanks again for all your help. When I get started building, I'll be sure to post some picks. I'm so worried that I'll mess something up, but it's really exciting!

MockV
Old 02-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Phil69

The CA accelerator will force the CA to cure instantly. It helps with materials not as porous as balsa, i.e. plywood. However, you should let the thin cA penetrate the wood and wipe off the excess before you hit it with accelerator, otherwise it fizzles and makes bubbles which you then have to sand. Once a piece of wood has been exposed to accelerator, if you drop CA on it before all the accelerator has evaporated, it will cure instantaneously. Also, don't breathe the smoke that sometimes comes out, it is very irritating to the lungs and nose.

I'd stay away from Titebond for a first strainer kit, but that's just my opinion. Too frustrating, you have to wait until it dries. It is recommended for wing sheeting because it sands easier that CA.

Thin CA wicks between pieces of balsa. You can position them, drip CA on the joint, and it's done. Works great with the fingers too...

Thicker CA can be used to fill joint which are not tight, or can be spread on a part, prior to assembly. It gives you a little time once you have joined the pieces before it cures but not much. A few seconds at most, then it's stuck. I have only used thin and medium so far. I think I would use epoxy rather than thick CA.

Enjoy,

Philippe
Old 02-10-2003, 08:29 AM
MockV

Default Thanks Again!

Finally got a chance to read the posts. Thanks again for all your help and advice. I'm going out to buy the supplies tomorrow. I'll probably be starting to build that night also...hopefully. Been busy all of a sudden lately.

Again thanks for helping. Can't wait to get started and post some picks!

MockV
Old 02-10-2003, 11:14 AM
G.F. Reid

Be aware that the accelerator slightly weakens the bond of Ca glues. Don't be too quick to dismiss aliphatic type resins such as Elmer's Carpenter glue and Titebond. They work great for our purposes and even better than Ca on lite ply and ply, spruce, maple, etc. They take a little longer to dry but I really like them for their ease of cleanup, no odor, price and they are as strong as just about any glue including epoxy when used properly.
Also, look at Home Depot for a glue called Weldbond. It's great for everything I've tried it on so far. Dries clear and has good gap filling properties. Better than Elmer's or Titebond but similar to both.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:54 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it might be early in your process, but consider getting a dremel tool early on. It is great for a lot of different uses. Too many to list here. I also like having a small removable vise for the table edge (if you have one). I can put mine in place or remove it in about 15-30 seconds. More like a few minutes if I have finished the beer.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Crash_N_Burn

MockV......

One more thing......

If this is your first plane, you may want to substitute another landing gear rather than the wire ones that come with the Aerostar.

I can't tell you how many times I knocked out those wire gears learning to land.

I switched to a Du-Bro (I think) Model LG15 glass gear with axles and 2-1/2" wheels.

The reason I mention this now is that it is MUCH easier to install prior to covering.

Also, I just ran across the manual, so if you get stuck somewhere, just yell!
Old 02-11-2003, 07:39 AM
MockV

MAN THIS SITE IS WONDERFUL!

Thanks again for all the help you guys are giving. You don't know how much I appreciate this!

And now for the recap and replies! lol

-First of all, my worries of using ca accelerator. Should I not even touch the stuff? How has everyone elses experiences been with this? I really don't want to have ANY joints weakend from its usage.

-Got the micro-dispensing tips! Also using a 15min epoxy.

-Already have a dremel. Just got it for Christmas! Also have access to a vise if needed.

-Thanks for the tip on the landing gear. Don't remember if it came with the kit. But if so, I'll look for the mentioned brand or something better.

Starting supplies cost me around $50 bucks today. And later on I still need to get covering supplies and flight box tools! Going to have keep checking out this board and Ebay! Then, check around for good prices on a transmitter.

I'll get this damned plane completed soon enough!

And Crash, thanks for offering to help on your end with the manual. I might be needing you!

Take care everyone. You'll be hearing from me soon! hehe

MockV
Old 02-11-2003, 11:44 PM
NGH00d

MockV
I can't add much but I'll try. A 25w Flourecent retractable magnifying lens. (you know the kind the dentist uses) And maybe a small band saw or scroll saw for manufacturing your own parts. (IE: If it calls for 1 airelon servo but you want 2. if it calls for fixed gear but you want retracts. ETC.)
Old 07-29-2003, 04:20 PM
TX-Deck

MockV,

How is this coming along? Any updates?

Thanks,
TX-Deck