Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Anniversary Cub Build-up.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Anniversary Cub Build-up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
BIG4D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Anniversary Cub Build-up.

Okay, here we go.
So my Father gave this this old Cub kit. There has been a lot of discussion about this build here - www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9823982/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm complete with a little history and a considerable amount of discussion about what engine and what size.
I am starting the build and will post progress here. This will be a slow build and it may be a while between post as I gather the funds to progress on the build-up.
So far, the discussion about this kit has been very positive. A considerable amount of discussion has been raised, and still continues, about wheather to build the clipped wing or the full size wing version.
Since I am fairly new to flying, and this will be my first kit build as an adult (13 when I built my last one, 41 now) I am going to build the full sized wing version. I know, Iknow, but I want the little extra "float time" on the landings, and who knows, Imay want to add a video camera or something in the cock-pit sometime. Besides, the plans are for the full sized wing and Ithink since i am new to kit building this may be easier to follow.
Some time in the future I may build another wing for it and make it the clipped version.

I love tips, tricks and advice and I read EVERY post. If you have something to add or see something I may be doing wrong, please, don't hesitate to post something.

The RCU community is GREAT~! This should be a lot of fun.

Below is exactly how I got the kit. Opened but re-sealed.

C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60112.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	1458712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57124.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	586.4 KB
ID:	1458713  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
BIG4D

Default RE: CG Anniversary Cub Build-up.

So I got the kit unpacked. And guess what, there is a very important part missing......the windshield!!! The side windowa are there, but the windshield?GONE! Anyone know where Icould get one?

Idid a check-off inventory of the rest of the parts. All of them seem to be there and in good condition.

Name:	Jh14772.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	581.8 KB
ID:	1458722   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42763.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	1458723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55638.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	646.2 KB
ID:	1458724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91921.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	1458725  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM
BIG4D

Let the build begin! Igot the plans all streached out and taped down.

This evening, when it cools off a bit, I'll be out there building.

Name:	Bz77521.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	703.3 KB
ID:	1458727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81196.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	1458728  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Cool! i am glad you started a build thread! now we have to find you a front windshield! You might be able to order it direct from Goldberg, I know they used to sell wing kits as some guys built both long and short wings for their Cub.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Tarasdad

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/

Contact CG and see if they have the windshield available.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 PM
BIG4D

Thanks Tarasdad. Isent then an e-mail about the windshield. I'll post their reply as soon as I get it.

Out to build...........
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIG4D

I am going to build the full sized wing version. I know, I know, but I want the little extra ''float time'' on the landings, and who knows, I may want to add a video camera or something in the cock-pit sometime. Besides, the plans are for the full sized wing and I think since i am new to kit building this may be easier to follow.
[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Daddyo57

I built both of my Cubs full span, they fly great! if you want an aerobatic airplane later, there are tons better suited anyway. You will love it! even full span they will be fairly aerobatic with an OS 70 or similar.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
BIG4D

Minn...you have me laughing!!

Thanks Daddyo57.......

Here is a question for you kit builders. How do you keep the wax paper (used under the wood and on top of the planns.) from sticking to the parts?After they dried I went to lift them off of the plans and the wax paper was stuck all over it!
Any suggestions here?

Picture of tonights progress......

Name:	Yw67521.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	634.6 KB
ID:	1458953  
Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

BIG4D,
If you haven't seen my 2-cents worth on your Cub, take a look at your previous thread.

Cowls and Windshield:
Fiberglass Specialties http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Windshield - $15.00
Cowls - three choices for 4-stroke installation. Take your pick $25.00, $32.00 & $30.00.

They even have landing gear if you're so inclined.

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM
retransit

I use plastic wrap. It sticks too.

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM
BIG4D

retransit,

Yes, I saw you comments and Ireplyed over there. Thanks! Great link for parts! When I decide on a power-plant I'll order them both from your suggestion. Have a picture of one of thier cowls?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM
retransit

Here's a suggestion. Trace a copy of the rib outlines on a piece of stiff paper or thin cardboard before assembly so if you need to repair it later you will have a pattern and can cut out a new one. That goes for fuselage parts also.

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
retransit

I have a fiberglass cowl for the Cub, but I'm not sure if it one of theirs. I'll check on it.

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
BIG4D

Great suggestions! Would be well worth the effort. But I will never crash this Cub so I won't need them..................right, famous last words.........
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Daddyo57

LOL BIG4D as you have found it does stick, just not as much... as you no doubt have found, it will come off. I checked the Goldberg site and the price from Fiberglass specialties on the windshield is a great price! 25 bucks I think from Goldberg wow!!! The FG gear is fabricated from aluminum and is a huge improvement over the funky stock wire gear.Looks like the plans and the parts on your horizontal and elevator are a good match! some guys , me included had them about 3/16" off, no biggy at all. make sure you get the wire joiner fitted so the elevator is dead flat when you install it. A heavy weight to hold it flat until it sets up on your flat building board will do the trick.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
shd3920

ORIGINAL: BIG4D

Here is a question for you kit builders. How do you keep the wax paper (used under the wood and on top of the planns.) from sticking to the parts? After they dried I went to lift them off of the plans and the wax paper was stuck all over it!
Any suggestions here?
A great way to stop it from sticking is to use a painter's clear drop cloth, 2mil or thicker, instead. Glues WILL NOT stick to it. But it can still stick to the 1mil drop cloths so I don't recommend lower than 2mil
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 AM
dignlivn

I like your building table

Get your self a couple of fans out there. The
ca fumes can be too much at times. Then a stereo.

Bob
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
BIG4D

Thanks guys.

I'll give the drop cloth a try. Ithink I may even have some laying around.

Bob, what you don't see in the pictures is the rest of the "Shop" I am building in. The window in front of the table there is open. There is another table behind me for my other "stuff" and there is a fan sitting on that table I am using to try to keep cool. At the other end of the shop, outside my "hobby room" there is a 10 ft wide 12 foot tal door with a HUGE box fan moving air into the shop. It was over 100 degrees yesterday with about 60% humidity. Without the fans, it is just unbearable out there.
With all that air moving around, I could bearly small the glue. The activator I could smell, but it didn't linger.

It rained here this morning so it may be a little cooler today. Hope to get back out there this afternoon!!

Thanks for all your input. Enjoing sharing my project with you guys!

I am in Oklahoma City. Any of you guys local?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my Goldberg Cubby for about 15 years now and she still flys great. When I first built the plane, I made the wing full span but years later I decided to clip the wings. The plane is still a floater with clipped wings and flys great.

[8D]

Steve
Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Big4D,
Just wondering if you had decided on a power plant and covering yet?I built one back in about 1994, clipped the wing and used a .70 four stroke. Covered it with Sig Koverall, Stixit and dope. Tough covering. I once fumbled a 6" crescent wrench which landed on the wing directly between the ribs and never punctured the Koverall. The power of the .70 seemed to be a good match to that plane. Good luck!

Dave
Old 06-27-2010, 04:10 PM
BIG4D

TCraft, thanks for the comments. As for covering, I am going to go with some sort of fabric. Not sure which yet, Iwill decide that when Iget a little closer to being ready for it.

As far as a poerplant, I am still weighing my options. I am leaning toward the Thundertiger, but still contemplating the Saito. One manufacturer I have not seen recommended is ENYA. I have an ENYS .46 4 stroke on my trainer anw and really like it. It is old but in no way tired.
Anyone have any thoughts on ENYA's?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

Big4D
Don't know much about Enya motors but I know that Magnums usually get good reviews on RCU.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 PM
I_Fly

This is a fantastic plane!

I have owned 2 of these Cubs over the past 20 years or so.   The first one met a sudden end when the horizontal tail surface came apart during a vertical maneuver.  Totally my fault. 

My 2nd one has some plywood built into the horizontal leading edge and I use the throttle stick a bit more.   My father thought I was nuts for building another but this is a fantastic airplane.   The current one was constructed in 1994 and has flown quite a bit every year since.  

About 3 years ago a friend of mine introduced me to float flying off the water.  I now fly mine off the water several times a year.   The bottom line is that they are fun on land or water.  

I have a OS .60 two cycle on mine.   This provides plenty of power.   I have flown a friends plane with a K&B .40.  Even that flew the plane reasonably well.   Any .70 size 4 cycle will be a good power plant.   I don't know much about Enya engines but the OS and Saito engines are popular in my area.

Keep us posted on what power, radio, colors and covering you choose.  Their are many options beyond Cub Yellow!

Happy building and flying,

Carl

Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 PM
cf6_mech

If you are still considering Saito they have having an aniversary sale right now , but I think it ends on the 30th. I ordered mine about two weeks ago so I would not forget and miss the sale.

JJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.