Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Rapture 40 Guidance

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Rapture 40 Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
GP23
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rapture 40 Guidance

I have researched what threads I could regarding the Great Planes Rapture 40, but there is so much information scattered all over that it is almost impossible to cover all of it. I just ordered my Rapture 40 kit yesterday from Tower Hobbies and it will be my first kit.

I have little building experience, and after much research, I believe I made a good choice for the kit to buy...for my needs: mostly the building experience, but also a nice cheap "favorite" model to always bring to the field, and something to diversify and experiment with. I have found a lot of information that answered many questions I had. However, there are still a few areas I haven't made up my mind about.

First (and most important), the engine. My primary objective is most bang for the buck for this model. I have a couple in mind...For 2-stroke: Super Tigre GS45 or G51, Tower Hobbies 46, Magnum XLS 46 or 52, O.S. 46 or 55AX. For 4-stroke: Magnum XL52 or XL70 RFS, Thunder Tiger F-75, Saito 56 or 62. As much as I'd like to purchase brand new, I really don't want to cross the $130 mark, so another consideration I'm really exploring is seeing what kind of deal I can run into on eBay that falls into the above parameters. I just wasn't sure if some of these listed are too big or too small for this plane. Also, I am only personally familiar with the quality of O.S., Saito, and Evolution, only just read about the rest. I'm not necessarily looking for a super machine, just something very realistic, not underpowered, that I can enjoy for a long time.

Second, modifications. I read about a rudder mod that was done that seemed interesting. Another one was flaps. I believe someone mentioned that this plane could come in a little hot, so I'm wondering if the flaps mod would be worthwhile. I would also be interested in doing something with the landing gear (eventually). At the very least, the wheel pants mod that I saw I thought was an awesome idea. Any other suggestions or ideas that I'm missing?

Finally, covering. I know most have used MonoKote for this build and I was planning on using Hangar 9's UltraCote. I know that UltraCote is easier to work with, but thinner so not as durable as MonoKote. And I know there are a bunch of other types out there that I haven't mentioned and am not familiar with.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone has to offer in any or all of these areas...thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Rapture 40 Guidance

I like my Magnum engines, so I can recomend the XLS 46.
I have heard that the Super Tigre's are hard to tune.

You can research thru owner's reviews of and compare each engine here in RCU:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...ex-engines.cfm

Just in case you have not seen the manual for the Rapture:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma0220-manual.pdf
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
outdoorhunting

I don't know how much experience you have flying, but as far as your first kit, your choice shouldn't that bad. You would have a lot more ease doing a 4* 40 or 60. As far as motors any 46 to 52 2 stroke will be fine. As far as the Super Tiger being hard to tune,I've never had any major problem with them & I've been flying a couple of ST for over 5 yrs. ( they were used when I got them) The ONLY thing that I would caution you on would be, stay away from any mods on your first build. When you get started, read the instructions at least 3 times & familiarize yourself with ALL aspects of the build. & DON'T GET IN A HURRY !!!!!! Remember, you are only a "click" away from all kinds of help here on RCU. Good Luck !!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The rapture is an excellent choice for a first build.

And i don't know where you ever got the idea that MonoKote was more durable than Ultracote. If anything, it's the other way around. MonoKote is hard and grittle (especially in cold weather) and a slight bump can cause a crack or tear, whereas Ultracote is more "rubbery". I have accidently layed an ultracote wing on top of a sharp object like a prop and all it did was put a dent in the covering - a little heat and it was good as new.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll enjoy the Rapture. I built one several years ago.

If it is your first build, I'd probably stick with a good .46 2-stroke. The OS would be my first choice but the Magnum would work too if you want to save a little money. You could go with a .55 but the plane doesn't necessarilly need it.

Someone thinks the Rapture lands hot? It must have been built really heavy if that's the case. If anything, it is somewhat of a floater on landing. It doesn't need flaps at all in my opinion. The designer of the plane got it right the first time.

I think the stock rudder is fine too. It has plenty of authority for a sport plane of this type. It isn't a 3D plane after all.

The only thing Imight do is beef up the landing gear blocks a little. Not because they are designed poorly or anything but just because planes can get a little abuse in this area. You don't really need to do much, just use enough epoxy.

Your Ultracoat covering will be just fine. I personallylike Monokote a little better but it is just because of personal preference with no real, solid reason for it. Both have their advantages and their issues but both are good overall.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Someone thinks the Rapture lands hot? It must have been built really heavy if that's the case. If anything, it is somewhat of a floater on landing. It doesn't need flaps at all in my opinion. The designer of the plane got it right the first time.
The published wing loading is low enough for a slow landing:

Wing Loading: 16-19 oz/sq ft [50–57 g/dm2]
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: LNEWQBAN
The published wing loading is low enough for a slow landing:

Wing Loading: 16-19 oz/sq ft [50–57 g/dm2]
Iagree. Someone must have built a real porker if it landed hot. Mine floated almost as much as a Sig 4-Star.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM
GP23

Thanks a lot everyone, I greatly appreciate the replies...I get a little over-analytical, so my apologies.  From your input, I believe I will stick with my original idea of using UltraCote (it is all I have used thus far), I was just thinking if there was a time to try something else, now would be ideal to start.  

Also, I will heed the advice of outdoorhunting and ChuckW and not do any mods, with the exception of beefing up the landing gear blocks.  I believe it was somewhere on this forum that I read that the Rapture came in a little hot, I personally don't know anyone with one (one of the reasons I got this model), which is why I thought the flaps may not be a bad idea...glad to hear its a floater, and I won't be doing flaps.  Also, I definitely won't be doing 3D flying with this plane, mostly sport flying/aerobatics, so I'm not going to mess with the rudder either.   

The engine on the other hand is another story.  I'm very undecided here...I have never flown a 4-stroke and really wanted to put one on here to experience the different characteristics of one.  However, I'm having trouble finding one at a decent price.  I can get the Magnum 52 FS for about $130 at Tower, but then again I can also get an O.S. 55ax for about $130 w/coupon (seems like better value).  I worry if the 52 FS would be a little underpowered.  eBay is pretty dry right now, and the ones that seem worth the gamble are selling slightly lower than the brand new ones I just mentioned, so it doesn't seem worth it to go the eBay route. Although I'm not in a terrible rush to get it right now, the price on the OS at Tower is pretty attractive (especially with easy pay), and I'd like to have something before I get too deep in the build.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies, and I will keep my eyes open for the engine that will end up in here...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
ChuckW

Another reason someone could have one that comes in hot is a CG that is too far forward.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Nintendomaniac_00

GP23
I built a rapture 40 a couple of years ago and here are some thoughts;
I did not modify it at all and it flew great (read that as; "don't add any weight!")
I covered it with monocote but ultracoat is a good choice too
Use good contrasting colors, stripes, stars, etc for visibility (its much more fun when you can see your plane really well)
I used a Saito 56 and it flew awesome with that combo
Decent knife edge, crisp, fairly axial rolls, nice stall turns, snaps were fun and greased landings a breeze
Light wing loading, good proportions and good power make for a good flying plane
This is a great sport hack airplane you will fly all the time (with a smile!)

Regards, NM
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM
nitrobomber

My Rapture thread is probably one of the ones you read...It is the yellow one with the chrome wing. I used the wheel pants from a super sportster 40 arf...you can order them from tower and just paint them to match your colors. I did motify the rudder to add a little more area because I read somewhere that it didnt knife edge real well....but that might have been the guy that made his too heavy. I would just leave the rudder stock. You will love building this one as a first kit. Everything is staight forward and an easy build. I put the Super Tigre G51 in mine....Love It !
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 AM
nitrobomber

here is a pick of my rudder mod. The stock rudder is on the left. Also one of it on the plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30789.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1465740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71335.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	1465741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52144.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1465742  
Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 PM
GP23

Thanks dragzila for the info. I believe it was your thread where I found most of the info. Watching your progress was definitely an inspiration, and from the photos it looks like it turned out pretty sweet. I especially like the colors you chose. I'm sure when I get to it, I will obsess for a couple of days before I decide. I'm still hung up on the engine. The ST G51 is definitely towards the top of my list, however, that OS 55ax is also calling me.
I love your idea of the wheel pants, and that is something I will seriously consider once I'm finished with it, but I definitely don't think I'll do the rudder or flap mods. I will also tint the canopy...I'm not a huge fan of the clear look (maybe I got used to all the car windows being tinted here in AZ...non-tinted ones almost don't look right...)
I'm really excited about starting to build it...this week I should be able to knock out the rudder and elevators. I'll be taking my time with it since its my first kit, but I'll post some pics once its all finished. Thanks again for the input and starting that informative thread...it certainly answered a lot of questions I had.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 AM
ChuckW

One easy way to tint the canopy is to tape off the outside then scuff the inside with a scothbrite pad and spray with some black paint. Some paints can harm the plastic so you might want to test it on some of the scrap left over from when you cut the canopy out. I've never had an issue with Krylon flat black though. You could also use other colors. Just be sure to make a hole in the cockpit floor for all the hot air to vent or the canopy might get deformed in the sun.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
carrellh

Here's a "window tint" paint that is used to coat the inside of clear RC car bodies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCY44&P=M
They have a lot of colors.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
GP23

Perfect Carrellh, that's exactly what I need.  On that same thread mentioned above I read about a technique using clothing dye, but this is a lot more convenient...so I'll be adding that to my next Tower order (hopefully this week with the engine)!