Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Epoxy Part A got hard???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Epoxy Part A got hard???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
robotfan
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Part A got hard???

I have a 9oz. 5min Kwik Bond epoxy set (Hobby People) and Part A has gotten hard, even though Part B is just fine. It is not all that old, maybe 5 months. I used a small portion for a project then put the caps back on and the bottles in the bag and set it on the shelf until needed again. Is there any way to soften up or hopefully liquify Part A back to its original syrupy consistency? How does everyone avoid spending $10 ($8 plus tax plus gas...) every time they need to glue in a firewall or some other teeny-tiny job?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Epoxy Part A got hard???

Kinda sounds like you got hardener in the resin maybe? If not, put it in the micro wave for 10 - 20 secs. If it doesn't liquify, throw it out.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree with Warbird (except it may not have been in contact with the hardener necessarily)- hit the hardened bottle with either a heatgun until it starts flowing again. I've had resins appear to crystallize somewhat - warming the resin up will allow it to be used again (it hasn't been mixed with hardener yet). I have no info regarding if it affects strength or not, but I've never witnessed anything adverse.

A microwave will do it too - just monitor it - better to heat it in shorter times to prevent overheating, and possibly causing a mess.

If you can't get it to flow again, you're probably going to have to head back to the hobby shop...
Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might have only had it for 5 months, but who knows how long it has been sitting on someone else's shelf. I personally would toss it and get some more. I have used the Bob Smith line of epoxy for years with no issu's at all. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something i found out is that the resin reacts to temperature . in a cold room it will solidify , store it in a warm place.
the hardner is not efected by temperature
Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I no longer keep mine sitting in front of the window, not that it seems to make any difference. I have never had any get hard and I have kept it there for a couple of years sometimes. It does sound like some of the other part got into your bottle. Doesn't take much!! Like David said, you never know how old a product really is unless it has a borne on date. I have had people bring me over filler to use on a plane I'm building for them and opened the little tub and it was hard. That's a product I always open the lid and take a feel before I buy. Epoxy????