Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick~ Rudder with tail dragger question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick~ Rudder with tail dragger question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Ultra Stick~ Rudder with tail dragger question

I have not built anything for over 30 years with the exception of a slow stick recently.
I am starting out assembling a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 40 and I am going to build it as a tail dragger.
The instructions seem to be a little vague on the assembly.
I found that the rudder already had two CA hinges installed (not glued yet). The lower CA hinge had to go as it was right in the area where the tail gear bearing had to go.
So I now have the tail gear bearing and wire installed where it goes but from there it seems there is little documentation on what to do.
The bearing is much larger than the CA hinge and appears to be a plastic of some sort. It has a tab on it with two holes in it as if it was going to be bolted to the vertical fin.
Is this bearing tabsupposed to replace the lower CA hinge? And if so I will have to cut a much larger slot in the vertical fin to accommodate it. And do I epoxy it into place? I am not sure CA will work on it and I would also be afraid that the CA would get into the bearing itself on install.
The documentation for this portion of the build is rather poor.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Hangar 9 Ultra Stick~ Rudder with tail dragger question

The bearing does replace the bottom hinge. The holes in the tab are for epoxy to flow through.

Page 17, step 2
Note: If you are installing the tail wheel, it will be necessary to enlarge the slot at the bottom of the fin to fit the tail gear bushing as shown below.

Page 17, step 3
Note: If you are installing the tail wheel, use 30-minute epoxy to glue the tail gear bushing into the fuselage.

A note at the beginning of the "rudder" section mentions using a tiny bit of vaseline to keep epoxy out of the bearing.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

OK, that makes sense.
Page 17 step two in the photos does not show the tail wheel bearing assembly in place and that confused me. It does shows the locations of the CA hinges right where the factory had already placed them which of course would not work with the tail wheel assembly. So I did not know if that bearing replaced the bottom CA hinge or not as it served the same function as the CA hinge.
I had also missed the note in step 3 about using the 30 minute epoxy for the bearing hinge.
I had seen the note about using the vaseline on the top and bottom of the bearing hinge on the install into the rudder but missing the note of the use of the epoxy on the install into the vertical fin made me worry about using CA and it getting into the bearing sleeve itself and ruining the bearing.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
carrellh

They could have inserted about two more pictures to make it more clear.