Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

OLD KIT BUILDERS, WHAT'S THIS KIT??(AIRTRONICS JETFIRE 40)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

OLD KIT BUILDERS, WHAT'S THIS KIT??(AIRTRONICS JETFIRE 40)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OLD KIT BUILDERS, WHAT'S THIS KIT??(AIRTRONICS JETFIRE 40)

I have a some build pictures to post of a kit I recently acquired but thought I'd give 24 hours to see if any of you old guys(I'm one, also) recognize the kit. The plane was kitted as a tri-gear(nose wheel) plane but I changed it to a tail-dragger. Tomorrow I will edit the title and post more info and pictures, but until then, Any Guesses??

vpresley got the right answer in 53 minutes. It is an Airtronics Jetfire 40 with a couple of changes. Campgems, I believe the wing to be right-side-up. That was one of the important steps during construction that had the rib tops marked so one would not be inadvertently installed upside down. The picture you referenced was prior to final shaping of the wing tips. My changes from the plans starting at the front: 1) 2 1/2" spinner instead of the called for 2 1/4" size, 2) The kit calls for a 40 size motor but I had on hand an OS 46FX and an OS 55AX. The two motors are similar in size/weight so I went with the 55AX. 3) Nose wheel not used(prop clearance consideration) and main gear moved forward. Main gear wheel size is 3" instead of the 2 1/2" called for in plans. 4) I hate fuel tank compartments where the tank is installed from the receiver/servo compartment. I made a removable, magnet held top hatch above the tank for easy access. 5)HS 225 servos, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN664&P=SM , used for the elevator and rudder. HS 82MG servos, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTRE2&P=SM , used for each aileron and a HS 81 servo used for the throttle. 6)The battery is mounted in a removable holder in the fuse behind the wing to balance the CG. 7)A tail skid was used instead of a tailwheel for two reasons. Simplicity(the rudder stops on top of the elevator) and to keep the nose a bit higher for prop clearance. A tail skid turns out to be shorter than a wheel assembly. 8)The rudder was enlarged by about 50%. I figured I would need the extra help taxiing with the tail skid and if it is not needed in-flight, I will just put the rudder on low rate.
Seajay, I installed triangular stock on the fuse below the horizontal stab to increase the glued area. I will keep your advice about flutter in mind when it flies.

I've added some pictures of the finished plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf97573.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	1467005   Click image for larger version

Name:	zu64611.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	552.2 KB
ID:	1467006   Click image for larger version

Name:	af88489.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	527.6 KB
ID:	1467007   Click image for larger version

Name:	zw69464.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	584.6 KB
ID:	1467008   Click image for larger version

Name:	ql34621.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	1467009   Click image for larger version

Name:	lq37382.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	1467010   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex69262.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	1467011   Click image for larger version

Name:	fq88381.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	1467012  

Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: OLD KIT BUILDERS, WHAT'S THIS KIT??(AIRTRONICS JETFIRE 40)

Kinda looks like a StrikeMaster(RCM Plans), but I think maybe the tail is a bit different on the StrikeMaster.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Looks like an Airtronics Jet Fire 40.

Vince AMA 7051 Are You Watching Big Brother [X(]
Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Hi

Looks like an Airtronics Jet Fire 40.

Vince AMA 7051 Are You Watching Big Brother [X(]
I like your answer better then mine!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Campgems

Don't know what it is, but it sure looks like the wing is upside down. It looks like a semi symmetrical wing that is mounted with the shorter surface on the top vs the bottom. Could be the aspect view of the photos, but all three lead to the same conclusion. I would check it out before I Went any further on the build.

Don
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

You might be right camp, but the blocks are still not carved and sanded all the way. The right one looks off, but the left one looks good ?

Vince
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Yup, Jetfire: http://txbb3.txwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=167
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
RCPtero

Don't know the kit, but love the looks! Just begs for a nice electric motor. Looks like she'd be fast and quiet! Tom
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, It's a Jetfire 40..  I built a beautiful one when I was 17, and crashed it when I was 18.. I had a Rossi .40 on it, and it hauled butt... 

One word of caution, You need to re-enforce the Horizontal stab..  Maybe Using Carbon fiber strips, maybe a strip on the top from center Leading edge, out to outer trailing edge, and on the bottom from the outer leading edge, to center trailing edge, in kinda a criss cross fashon, if you were able to see both strips through the wood..  or even hardwood (Basswood, Maybe) on all edges..  the reason I say this, is because my plane was so fast that the trailing edge fluttered.. I had zero gap in the hinge line, tight servo linkage, etc.  I had to run "Flying Wires" From the bottom fuse to the outer (2/3 the way out) horizontal stab, then up to the Vert stab, just to stop the flutter in the Horizontal stab..   then it still hauled Butt....

It was an awesome plane..  If I find a Picture, I'll post it..

Good luck. It's a great plane!!

Craig.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: vpresley

You might be right camp, but the blocks are still not carved and sanded all the way. The right one looks off, but the left one looks good ?

Vince
Vince, look at the ribs, then make the determination if it is right or not.

I've got to second the other comments on it looking like a kick mule plane.

Don
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 1/2A kit out in my shop from Sureflite that's about 200 years old. The picture on the box looks just like that. Mine is called the Baby Turkey.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Gray Beard,

WOW, a 200 year old Kit..  is that a kit that you are given a log, then you just have to carve away anything that doesn't look like a plane, kinda like how the Native Americans used to make canoes?? 

Craig..

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
airbusdrvr

Just a final post for this plane. Flew the maiden flights and they were non-events. A few clicks of trim and she flies really well. The prop clearance, or lack thereof, requires a perfect, on speed, smooth touchdown or the prop will hit the grass and the engine stops. How I hate walking out to get the plane
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Don't know what it is, but it sure looks like the wing is upside down. It looks like a semi symmetrical wing that is mounted with the shorter surface on the top vs the bottom. Could be the aspect view of the photos, but all three lead to the same conclusion. I would check it out before I Went any further on the build.

Don
Good eye!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeaJay

Gray Beard,

WOW, a 200 year old Kit.. is that a kit that you are given a log, then you just have to carve away anything that doesn't look like a plane, kinda like how the Native Americans used to make canoes??

Craig..

No, that would be most of my old school pattern planes that require all the sanding. I'm building one like that now, glue it together then sand the plane to shape. I really hate sanding!!!!!! I just sent out some stuff to a fellow yesterday in a kit box from Hobby Lobby, that was the Little Gasser 1/2A kit. These little 1/2A kits make great electric planes today. Well worth scooping up when you see them. The wood is a bit dry though!!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

OK, I gotta gripe; what is it with the side exhaust engine laying on its side with the muffler sticking out in the slipstream anyway? This guy needs a back door front breather with a pipe running along the fuse, preferably a stinger[>:]. BTW, nice ship.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Roary m

OK, I gotta gripe; what is it with the side exhaust engine laying on its side with the muffler sticking out in the slipstream anyway? This guy needs a back door front breather with a pipe running along the fuse, preferably a stinger[>:]. BTW, nice ship.
I have two NIB YS 45s but decided to save them for something more deserving
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Roary m

TWO even; lucky guy.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM
airbusdrvr

Roary M, I bought them for a Dave Platt Duellist MKII that I intended to build. But as time progressed, I decided my old eyes were not good enough for a speed demon like the Duellist. A fella out in Texas bought the kit and didn't want the motors. Just as well. They are great little motors. I have two YS-61s, one flying, and they are great motors, also. Really good when the tank can't be right behind and in line with the carb.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Roary m

Apart from the sheer power these things generate, I forget the pump makes the tank location less critical-good one there. I'm with you on the duellist with regards to the vision issues, I still have my kit and I'm hanging on to him as long as I can.