Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Engine mount extension on firewall

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Engine mount extension on firewall

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:40 AM
smitymax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount extension on firewall

I need to make about a 2 inch motor mount extension to mount a Brison 2.4 with Slimline inverted pitts style muffler. What my concern is attaching the extension to the firewall. I can make a box from plywood but am leery of just epoxying and or bolting the box to the firewall and then fastening the engine to the front of the box. Will this be strong enough to assemble the ply box with epoxy and triangle stock in the corners? or should I do something else that will ensure that everything will stay together. I have thought about using long engine mounting bolts through the engine, through the box and into T-nuts behind the firewall. Any suggestions for a better design?
Old 07-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Mount Extension

Check with centralhobbies.com-I believe it's them- or do a search for engine mount extensions. A couple of companies make aluminum extensions/stand offs you can bolt to the firewall, then screw your engine to them. They have sizes for the really big engines so a 2.4 shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:06 PM
smitymax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount extension on firewall

Thanks Ed, I will give a look and see what I can find

Chuck (W6ASO)