Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

great planes

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

great planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM
broonzie 09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes

i bought a supersposter 40 kit, it will be my first build. has anyone ever built this kit? can i get help onadvice to building a kit and theDOES and DONT'S about building kits?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: great planes

That's a great kit! Ask any questions you need and we'll help you out.

Start by reading this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1196
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to kitbuilding... When you see your baby lifting off for the first time you'll be grining like a new papa!!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM
broonzie 09

the main thing i want to no is, IS IT AN EASY BUILD when i say easy i mean buildable to a good standard for the first time builder
Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

IS IT AN EASY BUILD when i say easy i mean buildable to a good standard for the first time builder
Well...

I'd recommend something like a Goldberg Tiger, Cub, or Four Star for a 1st build if you have experience flying.

The issues that would cause confusion on the Super Sportster are bending large planks of soft balsa with windex or ammonia, and the nose takes a lot of carving. The carving could frustrate a lot of people without come shaping experience. NOT saying this is the case with you, I just see it as a shortfall wanting to get your 1st build into the air. Whenever something takes a lot of time to produce, it becomes an exercise in lengths of patients. It is important the right tools be used.

The landing gear is another area to consider. It needs some extra strngth if flying off of grass strips.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the SS as a teaching aid for students first build for a long time. It really isn't a bad build at all, just follow the instructions and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! I have students take the instructions home and read them through three times before the glue ever comes out. Someone put me onto the 4*60 years ago and I started using that for first time builders but depending on the pilot I'm thinking of going back to the SS. I'm pretty sick of the 4* right now and the SS is a better stunt plane. That's why I mentione it depends on the pilots skills what plane I'm going to use to teach.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:48 AM
broonzie 09

ive built a sig monocoupe free flight and that turend out good and that was delicate soi have got some pashience lol.
Thanks for the help and the landing gear point.i will make sure to strenthen the gear or even mount one to the fuselage as the grass strip can get bumpy if the horses escape into the field.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: broonzie 09

ive built a sig monocoupe free flight and that turend out good and that was delicate soi have got some pashience lol.
Thanks for the help and the landing gear point.i will make sure to strenthen the gear or even mount one to the fuselage as the grass strip can get bumpy if the horses escape into the field.

Horses!!! I flew a couple of times on a polo field so I understand the problem. The gear isn't bad where located. Stiffening up the gear blocks is something most builders do to all kits. Even ARFs right out of the box.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
broonzie 09

it the supersporster heavy as the fusealage it thick sheet and none of the plane it ribs its all sheet balsa.
example: rudder all thick sheet
elavator all thick sheet

so wont that be heavy??
Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Not really.

Actually, I do not always think lighter flies better. In this case, I believe the design helps the performance.

(Don't worry. I'm ducking all the artillery being lobbed at me for saying that!!!)

Brian
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Gray Beard

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!! I like my planes a bit on the heavy side, I live in a high wind area and the more stout the plane is designed the longer they last. My planes last for decades if I don't do something really stupid. Most of the light weight ARFs last out here for about 1 season before the air frame is shot. It's your plane and you can do with it what you want. You can buy and use contest grade wood and replace parts and sheeting. You can use 1/16th balsa when they gave you 1/8 or 3/32. It's up to the builder. I keep a lot of contest grade wood on hand in my shop and replace wood when I think it would be better then the kit supplied. It's isn't a light weight ARF, it's a plane that will last. Don't worry about the weight. Too many people have bought into the ARF thinking. Wood weighs more then air and there is way too much air in an ARF.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
broonzie 09

thanks i might lose saome weight as i am addind a bigger fuel tank,proper copbit,bigger rec.engine ect