Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

how many enjoy the build?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

how many enjoy the build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how many enjoy the build?

LOVE, LOVE,LOVE the building. Up to the sanding part, then I do not love it so much. I do take my time cause I want the best job I know how to do on all of the build. Opening a new kit, or just ordering a bunch of balsa & scratching something together is the best saticfaction this hobby has to offer. Bill
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

Well I have been out of the hobby for 35 years, that is until last November when the bug just up and bit me. Since then I have built one modified Tauras, one Fledging, one Gazariator, one Fokker DVII, and one self designed 46 sized pattern/sport type aircraft. All of these planes were scratch built except the Fokker which was a Sterling kit from 1975 that I had been carrying around for the last 35 years. As of this time I have yet to get my AMA license, find a club, or flown any of these birds. I would really like to accomplish all of these tasks soon, but at this point I would have to say that the "build "is what is holding my interest. As a matter of fact I am planning my next build in the Giant Scale Warbird category. I live in the Orlando, Florida area and  would love to hear from any locals who might be able to help me get these birds in the air, so give me a shout [email protected]      . Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
LargeScale88

I agree with everyone else. It just doesn't seem right buying an arf that someone else made, so the person who made it gets the satisfaction of the aircraft they built that flies. I love watching the airplane on the maiden flight when it lifts off the ground, all the time and money spent, and it flies is a good feeling. A person who buys all ARFS just like to fly, which is perfectly fine, but for me, I love to build.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
WestCoastFlyer

My dad was a contractor. He loved talking walks through newly framed up houses in the neighborhood and his own commercial construction. As a kid I'd go with him on those walks and I suppose he passed that love of construction and the feeling of artistic enjoyment of the framing on to me.

All these years later I still have ambivalent feelings about covering my models and hiding the sticks.

Oh well... it's not an airplane unless it flies.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
smkrcflyer

So it looks like there are lots of builders out there, so who is buying the ARF's and why aren't there more kit manufactures?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
roaddog2

Sensei!
I'm with ya 100%! Dead right!
RD
Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
roaddog2

WacoNut,
That's a seriously GORGEOUS bird. Congrats!
RD
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Wolflord

Big companies buying out the little guys is why their is hardly any kits and more B-ARF's.

I love the building and tinkering with the original planes. It makes the plane more yours and not the same as everything else on the flying field.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

To me the most satisfying part of our shared obsession is when we shoot the breeze and decide to build something from our ideas. It starts with a broad idea which is followed by decisions in engine size and other parameters. When the "Idea" is being built it is like creation in action. The final product, when flown, is satisfying in a way that no words can describe.

My good friend Scott and I were shooting the breeze about how well the H9 Ultra Stick flew and came up with the idea to scale it up to a true 60 size - 60cc that is. 2 G-62's are going to power these planes so they will be 60 size Sticks!

The build is progressing well and we should be done in a few weeks. Pics to follow.

Bliksem

Live to fly - Fly to live.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
tony0707

HI
REALLY enjoy the building part in the man cave ( shop ) no need to be in a hurry have a lot of planes flying have gotten real good at building and rebuilding when a plane goes in-think i enjoy rebuilding a lot because it is easier if the plane is just damaged a bit flying for 20 years -if you did not build then you had nothing to fly i like making my airframes perfect in the shop and do succeed all the time these days-20 years of building will do thathave worked over the years to work out any bugs of a given plane-usually in the first 5-10 flights mostly getting a new engine to run as it should OR get the balance right in the air-etc- get 300-400 flights from many planes-have some planes for 20 years still flying most recently-all a good time at the flying field on a great weather day-FLY 40-60 AND 1/4 SCALE STUFF MOSTLY- ENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Roaddog thanks for your comments, How may ARF guys get that[8D]

It is nice hearing what motivates everyone. I especially like posting my build threads and bouncing ideas and suggestions around. Helps keep the interest going in the build and sharing the experience. If you have an issue there is always someone willing to help out on here in a matter of minutes. I try to help out as much as I am helped, pay it forward!!
Anthony
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
wowplanes

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

So it looks like there are lots of builders out there, so who is buying the ARF's and why aren't there more kit manufactures?
They kits are here. We have a tendency to get stuck with one technique i.e balsa sticks. That was discovered over 50 years ago and the world has moved on. I love to build but I have many other interests in life than spend months or years on one model. So I found a new way that lets me build models in 1 or 2 months.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

wow i see im not alone or crazy!! thanks for all the post. i guess the reason i asked is because for the most part everyone in my area are ARF flyers. seems so many people have forgotten the days when if you didnt build you didnt fly....
Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Builder here! The only foam in my planes is if I need a plug for a cowl !

Nothing wrong with using foam, I've used it several great builds

Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM
RWeston

B-ARF's?? - I luv it!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another builder here! The only thing I hate about building is that when you're finished, they never look quite that nice again.

Now, I have to say this- there is one scenario where I will never look down on an ARF. That is when it's someone's trainer, and/or they're just getting into the hobby. I guarantee you that the person who just finished 'building' his or her ARF has a lot of pride tied up in that piece of Chinese light ply... and if they have success with it, then hopefully there is another R/Cer for us to play with! Just food for thought

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I here ya,
I have never given anyone a problem about flying ARF's, to each his own it's just not my cup of tea. I may even buy one one of these days if I want a plane to just throw around and do things I wouldn't try with one of my hard earned builds
You don't see the 3D guys spend 1,000hrs building a plane then try to hover 6" off the ground.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Kits and ARF's. I don't judge. It's all relative. A guy building a stock manufactured kit can't carry the relative jock strap of a true master scratch or scale builder. We all climb the same mountain in this hobby - the summit is the same for everyone, but we take different routes based on our talents and the situation life gives us.

I've built more airplanes from kits than I've bought ARF's. I only have one kit built airplane left, the rest of my flyable models are ARF's. I have one kit on the bench that keeps me motivated in the hobby - and my ARF's keep me having fun in the sport of flying.

It's all good. I celebrate whatever is brought to the field to fly.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm half-and-half. I appreciate and own ARFs. They fill a need. But when I need to lose myself in a project to get away from work or worry it is with a kit, preferably bashed in some way so I have to work out a few kinks. That's the trouble, though. It may take me anywhere from three months to two years to diddle away on a kit. The ARFs get me out flying, and I confess I do "throw around" an ARF in maneuvers and altitudes I would not a cherished kit-built. But that's just me.

The part that slows me down is the hardware install, for some reason. Once I've assembled it "dry" in the bones it takes forever until I get to the point I'm ready to cover. I think maybe I'm afraid to seal off the harder to reach areas?? That, or I just love the looks of a balsa skeleton aircraft.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I enjoy flying much more than building! I do build my planes because I want the planes built right, and I know the person who built it!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 PM
tr4252

I've always built things; guitars, knives, models, guns, furniture, etc. I think there are a variety of personality types; some people haven't got the ability or won't get their hands "dirty". Personally, I can't seem to own a thing without imagining how it could have been done better (or at least to my liking). I like the sense of doing, as do the majority here. You create something unique, and have the satisfaction of reaching the next level of craftsmanship.

I too enjoy the work area and the tools etc.

As for the ARFs, even assembling one gives you the opportunity to change it, and is a good place to practice for the time you'll be kit building.

Tom

Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

I'll give you a number of reasons why there aren't more kit manufacturers:

ARFs from Asia are cheap.
They "ASSEMBLE" fast.
They give the "assembler" instant gratification.
It takes a bit of room to have a workbench of a decent size.
Building is messy. Spouses do not like balsa dust, epoxy fumes or paint overspray.
We are becoming a purchasing society. "Why build it when I can buy one?"

Builders generally like the process, can have something no one else has, and have an opportunity to showcase their talents.

I like building more than flying and I also like to see other projects that I will probably never get to accomplish. That's why I like to see what Carl Bachhuber or Keith Sparks have that is new. These guys simply amaze me with their building talents. There are plenty of other too. I'm no slouch but I tend to take my time. I actually enjoy rebuilding something that has been crashed and get a kick out of bringing it to the field after everyone has seen it auger in previously.

I presently have a previously built Fleet that I got for free which is about 20 years old. It had everything wrong with it but flew fine. I had to strip and rebuild two wing sections, a new tail and other assorted pieces. It's almost there now.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77863.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1478246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36406.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1478247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21551.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1478248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71311.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1478249  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
JW0311

Just finished my first build and I can tell you that I am head over heals in love. Having nothing to build now is just killing me. Have not even flown the first one yet and I can't wait for the next build. Can you marry a hobby?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM
davidgeorge212

I love building up anything made out of balsa. I have come to realize that there are not many more descent "new" kits out there on the market that I like or havent built yet. I have lately been going to alot of RC swapmeets and trade shows and collecting older/vintage kits that either look really fun to build or are challenging to build because I love both. I think I am currently working on about 5 or 6 kits or plan builds at the moment, all at different stages and all with different challenges. One of my biggest projects is a 1/2 scale Stits Sky Baby which I have been building on since 2006 and I have a build thread for it here on RCU. When I get tired of working on one plane I will start building on another and it helps me from not getting burned out one one particular plane. I grew up around woodworking machinery and started cutting everything out under the sun on my scroll saw. In fact, One of my most favorite parts of the build is taking a set of plans and cutting out all the parts (formers, bulkheads, ribs, etc...) on my scroll saw. I recently just got two of the most top of the line scroll saws on the market. One is an RBI Hawk which is American made and the other is a Hegner which is German made. I can spend several hours at a time making sawdust on my scroll saw because I love it so much.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I'm an arf guy and do not like long tedious work! I'm more into the mechanical side of it, installing the electronics, servos, switches, engine and fuel system and so on. What I find hardest that I have to make myself do is all the upkeep that is needed after the planes have maidened. Five of my seven gas planes are over 2 years old and always seem to have an issue or two pop up, (mainly covering issues) after a day of flying one of them. My glow planes get abused and if a little packing tape is needed here or there so be it, I would not treat my gas planes this way! It is getting harder to build a new plane because most of my spare time is eaten up maintaining the ageing fleet. Oh well, the majority are still around and I'm glad that they are ageing rather then in a trash can!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.