Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

how many enjoy the build?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
wowplanes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: how many enjoy the build?

Quote:
ORIGINAL: tailskid

It seems to me (looking over some ''OLD'' RCM's) we used to be a segment of the hobby that solved problems - invented things and the like. I don't see/read that anymore nearly as much. That's sad because it was the 'old' stuff we developed that are now the norm - when's something 'new' coming? I mean ideas, techiques, etc.

Yes I remember when 'Giant' meant a 72'' wingspan
Hi tailskid,
If you are looking for a new technique, check out my A10 build thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98..._5/key_/tm.htm
Give me some feedback on what you think of it.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: R!aan

What was he thinking! What kind of idiot would try and hover a trainer[img][/img]
Actually, you can hover a trainer real easy with the right power and setup.

Bob
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Ken Kehlet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was a time that I had to demonstrate to a proficient R/C Pilot, that nothing was wrong with his SIG LT-40 Trainer, Rolling Circles and Rolling Figure Eights were just maneuvers that he could learn.

Here is My slightly modified SIG LT-40, with O.S. .70 Surpass II Four Stroke.

Built from Plans, Balsa Slab sides, 75" Span, Knock Around every-day flying model, 4 3/4 Pounds.

Macular Degeneration in both eyes, 21 Hypo shots into each eyeball so far, has slowed down my flying, but not my desire to build.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29585.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1481124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80501.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1481125  
Old 08-09-2010, 04:11 AM
thailazer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think kit building is really the core of the RC Flying hobby. I always enjoy the process, and work to make things as light as possible while making careful modifications. Since I've been missing building since finishing my Tiger 2, I thought I'd build a Mooney-style tail plane for it that would make it easier to fit in the trunk of the car. The forward sweep reduces the length by 5 and half inches where it counts! Should look cool when its done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ki19397.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1481323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17596.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	1481324  
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
CanDo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent! Problem solving and thinking "outside the box" are two very important aspects of model building. I have nothing against ARFs, but I have experienced serious structural failures under that pretty ARF covering (the flaws are hidden). Putting your own ideas into a model plane is the reason I keep building. Here is one example, how do you put a 80" OV-10 into a Honda Element? You build a 3 piece wing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bz79558.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1481456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90917.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1481457  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
R!aan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CanDo:Nice plane! O.o
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
mistermnkim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your right about ARF flaws, seems i was just a victim of a flaw this weekend. I lost the top wing on my GP 1/3 scale pitts, i was able to get her down not a total lose but i guess ill have to change the thread to ( how many enjoy the rebuild!! )
Old 08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
tr4252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just started RC flying last June; that's about 2 months. I started with an RTF (Hobbyzone Champ) and am now putting an Eflite Nieuport 17 ARF together. I also built a little balsa & tissue airframe to replace the Champ airframe when it's finally too ruined to use any more, haven't needed to use it yet, but I'm anticipating flying a plane I designed and built myself.

I think anybody who flies RC planes is a builder of some sort, even if it's only in repairing their planes. Since I'm making substitutions in the N17; motor, servos, etc., and stiffening it and repainting it, I think there's some element of "build" there. And I know, from handling the parts, there'll be repairs and modifications to it in the future. The plane seems to be pretty frail.

I've noticed that I revert to what I know and enjoy, and when the factory foam plane needs fixing, I usually make old style built-up balsa components instead of just buying new foam parts. In that respect, my RTF is evolving into a scratch build by degrees.

I'm grateful that the market provides a chance for me to get into RC in this easy manner, I might not have done it otherwise. Looks like I'm progressing from factory built planes to being a builder as a learning process.

And, to paraphrase a previous post, the time for flying is now, and I have the coming winter to concentrate on building (I hope).

Finally, I'd like to express my admiration for those who have the talent and time to build their own.

Tom

Search this Thread