Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

maiden time

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

maiden time

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM
JW0311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maiden time

Finished the Dreat Planes RV-4 kit about two weeks ago and have been scared to death to take it up and fly it. Well. I've had enough. going to take it up as soon as I finish this post. Good or Bad she's going up. Wish me luck.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: maiden time

I loved mine. Finally after many wonderful flights and one stupid crash when a bug flew in my eye. Flew it once more after the repair, but it was so over wing loaded that when the engine dead sticked, she came plummeting to the ground. Best of luck.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM
jship

Flight report?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 PM
JW0311

Funny how 3 months of work can be destroyed in such a small amount of time. Tried to take off with a little flap. instead of retracting them after take off, I fully extended them and did not realize it till after the crash. From there it went really bad. Nosed in and there is not much left. Not sure what else to say other than some times it's hard being stupid.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

JW,

You aren't stupid, this stuff happens to everyone that has the big ones to fly RC.

Compared to the stuff I've done on maiden flights you're Einstein - and I've got the brains of lettuce. I'm serious about that!

JW, Don't beat yourself up. Learn and move on.

Dave
Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi JW,
Look at the upside...... the Earth is still intact.......
We all make sometimes those "gravitional enhanced" mistakes....jointhe Broken PropBrotherhood

Cheers
Bundu
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

Look at the upside...... the Earth is still intact.......

Cheers
Bundu

I gotta remember that one..
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about the loss. My motto is to use any accident as a chance to learn a lesson.

For future reference, use 4 channels to maiden any plane. If the plane has flaps or retracts, never use them until the plane is safely in the air and at a good altitude - then "test" them, with the mindset that you will abort the test immediately if anything goes wrong!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so now what the next build going to be . I can only fly Butterfly with any chance of getting back on the ground, If I'm not reparing trainers mid week I've always got somthing on the boards.Repairing two this week from the last attempt at flying. Do have a look at the Butterfly if you are having that problem of it not going to last long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83766.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	1482323  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM
JW0311

It's bad......... Real bad. Not even sure were to start with trying to fix this thing or if I can. On a good note. My next project is here. A Topflight T-34 Mentor. Kid of feel bad about starting this without having the RV-4 flight ready. Thanks guys for the encouragment. Thanks Minn for the tip. Great idea and I will do that next time. I,m pretty sure that it would have flown ok if I had not screwed it up with " Dumb Thumbs "
Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We should have a forum on the "learning opportunities" of a maiden flight. On my GB R2 maiden, I was so focused on landing, I had tunnel vision and landed ~4 ft next to the runway! This resulted in hitting a gopher hole with the left wheel, which ultimately flipped the plane over on its back. The plane had a little damage, but my ego was badly bruised! Stuff happens! You learn, you move on.