Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig kadet MKII build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig kadet MKII build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 AM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig kadet MKII build

i'm looking to get another plane. hehehe. i like the kadet MKII, but i was looking and searching in here to see if there was a build thread, AND... couldn't find one. i was wondering if anyone has ever built this plane and done a thread on it, and where is it if so. i'm not trying to build a dozen planes at once, but just getting something ready for the winter time coming up and having something already on hand will be nice. i hope to have the mini done and maidened by then, so i don't have to put skis on it to knock that part out with it. i really like my LT-25 alot, and would rather an LT-40 over the MKII, but i'm getting a fairly good deal on it, and the LT-40 is about 75 bucks more. plus i think the MKII kit i'm gettingcomes with a glass cowl from FSI. (stretched for a 4-stroke though ).
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 AM
huck1199

Default RE: sig kadet MKII build

I think there is a thread on a MK I. The only difference there are ailerons on the MK II. If you don't need training you may want to reduce the dihedral quite a bit to improve the response. 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
LargeScale88

I have built on, and sold it, but never did a thread on it. The kadet markII, if its still old fashioned, comes with the parts drawn out, or stamped on wood, and you cut yourself.It aint no laser cut or die cut, almost scratch build, except the pieces are already stamped on wood, you just have to cut them out. Of course, I build that probably 6 years ago, and they may have changed it by then. Other than that, its a great flying airplane. I was running a super tigre 40, i modified it by taking some dihedral out like huck said, and it was close to an aerobatic airplane. I also fiberglassed the sheeted fuselage, still was as fast as lightning.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
crash bandicoute

i'll probably reduce the dihedral all the way and see what does for it. i still have my LT-25 to warm up with and take out the "not flying for a while" jitters. i'm also going to modify the wing for bolt on and more than likely turn it to a tail dragger. thank for the tip on the MKI thread. i'll do a search for that one and see what went on with that. i'll definitely do a build thread with it though, when i get it going. it may be a while, with the mini going on right now. then i gotta get some stick time in between the builds. but i'll keep posting on here as everything goes.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
crash bandicoute

just wanted to throw in an extra note about the plane. the guy says it is a kit from the 80's. also going to mod the ailerons for dual servos and maybe scratch design some of the barndoor type. going to build up the tail as well, as the instruction book on line looks like the vertical and rudder are sheets stamped with the outline. not sure about the one i'm getting, but i like the built up a lot better. plus it saves that tiny bit of weight. i may get some clear styrene and do a regular windscreen too, versus the balsa block shaping for it. i'm going to move the gear up to the CG marker or a little farther forward and get the dural type gear.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
crash bandicoute

i have a question about modifying the plane from a single motor to a twin. being a .40 size single, i'm sure twin .40's would be over kill. would the .25FX motors be good enough, or should i go with a little more like the .35's or somewhere around there?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i built one in the early 80's and flew it many many times. it was my 1st build and i made my maiden flight with it. i still remember the flight very well. i am now assisting my 7 yr old build his Kadet. since i make him do most of the work it is moving very slow but it's not impossible. it is a simple build but be prepared for outdated instructions.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
crash bandicoute

i need to get ahold of some plans. i got my kitfrom a clown on ebay and it's missing half the pieces, plans and instructions. i got the instructions from sig's website, going to order plans today, and more than likely the entire build is going to be scratch build so to say; as far as fabricating my own parts. the guy didn't know what he had, and claimed it was new/unused/unopened. 65 bucks later, i had half a box of sticks and a cowl. gotta get ahold of the landing gear too. so if anyone buys a kit onebay, correspond back andforth about the contents of the kit before you win the auction, or even bid for it.i've learned my lesson from not knowing. no refnds or returns, either. 75 or 80 bucks after all is said and done. i could have had a brand new one with everything. then i have to still buy materials to cut the parts out of. i was planning on waiting for winter to build it, as i'm in the middle of an SMP from Sig right now. talk about a fun build. lots of sticks and some soldering to boot. i tend to kick myself in the back side every once in a while anyway from not following the instructions and getting too far ahead of myself. but from building so many kits, i guess i can get away with that.