Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Super Sportster build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 03:45 AM
MrRover75

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster build

Snow and rain outside... Decided to put the current projects aside and pull one of my old boxes out of the attic and start a new build. A fairly simple but nice GP Super Sportster 60 now arising slowly! I Plan for an OS FS @81 in its nose. A project that I might be able to complete within a decent timeframe (hopefully), which is not the case with my other projects Name:  1f603.png
Views: 188
Size:  505 BytesName:  1f603.png
Size:  505 Bytes

Some nice progress. Most of the main components in place for the first wing panel. The SS60 is a of a simple conservative construction which assembles quickly. Despite being made by "die-crush", the parts fits nicely and needs minimal of sanding/adjustment. What a joy Name:  1f642.png
Size:  480 Bytes Some modifications are done. I added shear webs to one side of the spars and have made 2x dihedral braces from 3mm ply to strengthen up the wing joint. The center rib also needed to be tilted slightly for a nice fit. Made a template for getting the angle correct. Needed to slot rib #2 to accept the dihedral braces before adding the bottom sheeting. The inner rib will be slotted just prior to joining the panels. By the book. there should be a tapered piece of balsa between the wing panels and no dihedral brace. Just some glass fibre epoxied over the joint. This can be omitted as I have added the dihedral braces, giving a much smoother joint. Will no add on tip details, aileron and start the second wing panel.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:12 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

With that nice dihedral brace, maybe you won't need to glass the center section?

The Super Sportster series of kits/planes were all nice looking a good flying airplanes.
Count me in for riding along and watching your build....
Old 01-19-2024, 05:37 AM
MrRover75

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
With that nice dihedral brace, maybe you won't need to glass the center section?

The Super Sportster series of kits/planes were all nice looking a good flying airplanes.
Count me in for riding along and watching your build....
I will install 2 off them, so no need to glass the center section

I will keep you updated!
Old 01-19-2024, 09:15 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I flew the wings off of the 20 size back in the 80's great flying plane.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:58 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am currently flying a .40 size sportster and have 2 kits of the .60 size when I get around to building them.

carl
Old 02-05-2024, 02:48 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a .40 size Sportster with an ST .45 in the late 80's that I flew the pants off until overconfidence reared it's ugly head and bit me, causing me to lose the model due to youthful stupidity. I had countless hours of enjoyment with that nice flying model.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:59 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The lines on that plane are nothing short of gorgeous, and a pleasure to build. I also built one in the late 80's, with a ST .45 on it, covered in red/yellow, just like the box. It took me a little while to learn how sweet they land when you get behind the power curve, coming in on final just a tad nose-high, regulating descent with power. Up until I learned that, I would burn up an entire runway slowing it down. But I was a self-taught pilot, coming from a Telemaster.

My Super Sportster's demise came while setting up for a landing, something failed in the plane (likely electronic), and it just broke right and dove in. No warning and no control.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:15 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably my second favorite airframe of all time. Be sure and set the firewall back for the 4-stroke.

David
Old 02-15-2024, 12:27 AM
MrRover75

Hi all!

Thanks for the replies! I guess we all have good memories from these planes. Back in the days when balsa and glow was the thing, I had a SS20 with an OS32 in its nose. It was covered in red with yellow trim like on the box. A nice little plane. It went like a rocket and of course got crushed at a point. The wing was not badly damaged, so it was saved. A few years later I repaired the minor damage on the wing and scratch built a new fuselage. This time it was covered in white with red trim. Flew nicely but had a serious crash in the end. I still have it and it is repairable but have been laying around for 20 years now. You can see its wing in the background of my first picture.

But now, its the building of the SS60 thats hot. Things moving slowly, as usual, but are shaping up nicely:

Wing panels more or less completed except for the ailerons and sanding. The wings are laying upside-down on the pictures, just as a note I have moved the aileron servos out in the wings, using two midi servos instead of one in the center.
I am at the moment working with the engine installation. This also shaping up nicely. I actually started building the fuselage nearly 2 decades ago. Firewall was already then moved back to accept a 4stroke and engine mount mounted and drilled and airframe adjusted for an OS FS91. Not much adjustments are needed to make the OS @81 fit, but had to replace the mount and do other cut-outs for needle valve etc. The @81 will have more than enough power and is a portion lighter than the FS91. To be honest, I think the .91 would be to brutal and heavy.... (or its just me getting more "mature"...

The only thing I have noted, is that this plane is not set up with any down and right thrust. Concervative-vise, it should be... any thoughts around this?

More to come

Last edited by MrRover75; 02-15-2024 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:02 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Both of mine flew so good I wouldn't mess with the thrust. Think about covering the fin, stab and tail fairing blocks before assembly.

David
Old 02-19-2024, 01:48 AM
MrRover75

Originally Posted by daveopam
Both of mine flew so good I wouldn't mess with the thrust. Think about covering the fin, stab and tail fairing blocks before assembly.

David
OK. Good advice! I always cover the fin and stab before assembly. That often looks better as long as I don`t mess to much with the glue I have a habbit of making a "dummy stab+fin" tack glued to the fuselage together with the fairing blocks. I can then sand the fairings to shape in place. The remove the "dummy tail", cover the model and mount fin + stab. I will post some pics of this when I get that far.

Here are few pics of the engine installation I am working on these days:

Old 02-19-2024, 11:57 PM
MrRover75

Hi,

A few pictures of the "dummy tail" and fairing blocks tack glued in place, ready to be shaped to match the contour of the fuselage: