Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Das Box Fly about finished

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Das Box Fly about finished

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Das Box Fly about finished

Thirty years or so ago, I was given this kit in appreciation for flight instruction. It got framed and then stored during many years inactive then hung in building room as wall art with no serious intentions of finishing.

Months ago, a modeler in Sweden commented that the Das Box Fly had been a favorite and was a good flier, which sprouted interest to finish. A month ago opportunity to acquire a NIB Saito .30 came.

The plane is nearing completion and even though I'm now into bigger stuff, I'm excited about seeing how it flies.

Weight will be less than 3.5 lbs and is covered with Ultracoat transparent red. I'd tell how many inches but most of the plan is in Japanese. It was a Pilot kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97588.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1487151  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Das Box Fly about finished

It looks good.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

You did a great building job and bet it flies great.

Tom
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

That plane really brings back good memories. I had a few Box Fly's as I learned to fly over 35 years ago. A lot of my club members at the time started with the BoxFly Jr. It was a .19 powered 3 channel plane and with the plywood fuselage and foam wing, it was hard to kill. We had a source for the foam wings and they were usually the first casualties as we learned to land. I had one we called Custer as it was shot out of a tree it was caught in by a member with a bow and arrow. It was hit at least 3 times and I never covered over the arrow holes. My favorite was the Box Fly .40. It was my first aileron ship and was a handful for me. I had a couple of them. Really good memories.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM
AA5BY

The final weight came in at 3lb 6oz and taking the measurements and punching them into the area/loading calculator reveal an area of 623 sq/in for a loading of 12.5 oz/sq ft, slightly lighter loading than my Sig LT-25 that flies very much on its wing.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: AA5BY
... Months ago, a modeler in Sweden commented that the Das Box Fly had been a favorite and was a good flier, which sprouted interest to finish. ...
That must have been me :-)
Congratulations on finishing the Box Fly. It's beautiful and really brings back a lot of good memories.
I am sure it will fly as good as it looks, but do not forget to use plenty of rubber bands to attach the wings.
If you have the opportunity to shoot some video from the first flights it would be very nice to see them posted here.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 AM
AA5BY

Hi Red B.

Again, thanks for the inspiration. The finishing items such the windscreen, head rest and gluing tail feathers on has been completed and it is ready for maiden. Too many miles between or I'd surely let you have the stick as I heard in your words how endeared you were to this airplane.

It looks pretty cute and has very light wing loading so ought to fly well. I've read that ground handling is a chore. Often bipes require some trial and error to get them trimmed out well. I've yet to do the final balance but will not fail to do so before flying. I do have a Saito .30 on another plane and love the little engine that idles well and is very quiet. They are not power house engines but do provide a lot of torque so should be a good match for the extra drag of a biplane.

Will try to get someone to do some video but I'll certainly offer a full flight report.

edit note: The final balance was checked and it was a good bit nose heavy likely because of the use of the Saito .30 as the plane called for a .20 two stroke. Required was 1 oz of tail weight, throwing the overall weight to 3lb 7oz.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 AM
adamb1

I got my hands on this kit about 3 months ago. just started it yesterday
Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 PM
AA5BY

The Das Box Fly Bipe flew a couple of flights today. Winds were 5-8 and gusty so the plane having only a tail skid was set on the runway facing directly into the wind. Take off roll was uneventful with solid tracking into the wind without much rudder effort needed, so the concerns written about ground handling on take off weren't an issue, at least with a head wind. With no wind, it might be all over the place.... we'll keep alert and see.

After climbing to reasonable altitude, the plane was given four clicks of up and three clicks of right trim though after landing an inspection showed no noticeable up trim to the elevator or alignment issues with ailerons.

The Saito .30 four stroke pulled it adequately and it flew slightly faster than expected and actually the up lines were very impressive. Climb to stall turns was quite high and rudder response to throw it over was quite good. As expected, it can be flown with rudder and elevator so if the ailerons fail, it can be gotten down.

Loops were large and tracking through was good. It is a bit sensitive on elevator, which might mean that it is a bit tail heavy and some of that 1 oz added to the tail might can come off.

Ailerons were a bit sluggish as typical of strip ailerons only on the bottom wing of a biplane. I'll have to check to see if more throw is available but fear that the torque rods foul with the rubber band dowel. I had to grind part of that dowel away but more throw can be obtained by fitting an offset support for the dowel. It will roll upright fairly well on the top of an Immelman so aileron authority is positive, just not very fast. Rolls are slow but without hesitancy and even when slowing for landing aileron authority was adequate to keep the plane level even in the gusty conditions of today. I had to make the ailerons as the originals were lost somewhere in the last thirty years and was tempted to add a quarter inch and now wish I had.

Both landings were smooth and without any hint of nose over or ground loops but did require going to the runway to retrieve the plane even though the motor continued to run. It just didn't want to turn off of today's wind. One landing attempt saw it hit something that caused it to lurch airborne about three feet, where power was added and it flew easily out of the situation.

The Saito .30 probably needs more break in before it will idle down as low as I'd like to see it. My other Saito .30 idles very well. I'm thinking a no wind landing would see the plane float a good way until the motor is broke in enough to get the idle better... we'll see.

It yielded pretty though not violent snap rolls, you know.... the kind that are slow enough to predict coming out of a half spin right on the reciprocal course, always pretty to watch.

No spins were attempted. No in flight CG test was performed. No stall characteristics were tested yet do to the gusty conditions.

It received positive comments about looks and flight performance from fellow fliers, many of which fly almost exclusively smaller planes, many of them electric.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 PM
AA5BY

The Das Box Fly Bipe flew a couple of flights today. Winds were 5-8 and gusty so the plane having only a tail skid was set on the runway facing directly into the wind. Take off roll was uneventful with solid tracking into the wind without much rudder effort needed, so the concerns written about ground handling on take off weren't an issue, at least with a head wind. With no wind, it might be all over the place.... we'll keep alert and see.

After climbing to reasonable altitude, the plane was given four clicks of up and three clicks of right trim though after landing an inspection showed no noticeable up trim to the elevator or alignment issues with ailerons.

The Saito .30 four stroke pulled it adequately and it flew slightly faster than expected and actually the up lines were very impressive. Climb to stall turns was quite high and rudder response to throw it over was quite good. As expected, it can be flown with rudder and elevator so if the ailerons fail, it can be gotten down.

Loops were large and tracking through was good. It is a bit sensitive on elevator, which might mean that it is a bit tail heavy and some of that 1 oz added to the tail might can come off.

Ailerons were a bit sluggish as typical of strip ailerons only on the bottom wing of a biplane. I'll have to check to see if more throw is available but fear that the torque rods foul with the rubber band dowel. I had to grind part of that dowel away but more throw can be obtained by fitting an offset support for the dowel. It will roll upright fairly well on the top of an Immelman so aileron authority is positive, just not very fast. Rolls are slow but without hesitancy and even when slowing for landing aileron authority was adequate to keep the plane level even in the gusty conditions of today. I had to make the ailerons as the originals were lost somewhere in the last thirty years and was tempted to add a quarter inch and now wish I had.

Both landings were smooth and without any hint of nose over or ground loops but did require going to the runway to retrieve the plane even though the motor continued to run. It just didn't want to turn off of today's wind. One landing attempt saw it hit something that caused it to lurch airborne about three feet, where power was added and it flew easily out of the situation.

The Saito .30 probably needs more break in before it will idle down as low as I'd like to see it. My other Saito .30 idles very well. I'm thinking a no wind landing would see the plane float a good way until the motor is broke in enough to get the idle better... we'll see.

It yielded pretty though not violent snap rolls, you know.... the kind that are slow enough to predict coming out of a half spin right on the reciprocal course, always pretty to watch.

No spins were attempted. No in flight CG test was performed. No stall characteristics were tested yet do to the gusty conditions.

It received positive comments about looks and flight performance from fellow fliers, many of which fly almost exclusively smaller planes, many of them electric.

Last... clean up was a pain.... we've recently regraded our runway, which is now mostly dirt and I've been spoiled by gas.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM
AA5BY

I took the Das Box Fly to our fall fun fly yesterday. Late in the afternoon winds subsided yielding the first opportunity to fly it in still air. What a hoot.... it is a light airframe that gets buffeted around in windy conditions but in still air it is an absolute delight. I will try to get some video.

My concern that without a head wind, the takeoff might get squirrely was for naught as tracking on takeoff was true and simple. Touch N goes were a delight. This plane is really lightly loaded and half power or less produces no wallowing typical of heavier loaded planes... it was designed to fly. Full power doesn't make it fly much faster than half... but does produce the torque to leverage good vertical performance. During the first flights in windy conditions, I had it at full power most of the time, but in still air it loves to be throttle managed where coming way off the power still yields great flight. There are no trim issues between throttle positions.

This is a plane that ought to be kitted again and though I'm not into electric, I'd think would be suitable because it is quite light.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
YellowSquare

Hello.
My club mate was tidy up his hobby room and threw away some old junk.
Gladly he saved an old Pilot Kit for me.
I goggled for this kit and found this tread on RC Universe.
I also have a Saito .30 who had just about 30 minutes run time.
/Olof Rosenius (Sweden)

Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Bundubasher

Some clubmate you have...... should take him out for a couple of beers in appreciation......

Cheers

Bundu
Old 01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
YellowSquare

Off Topic.
My [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OA8QuF4YI4]Saito .30 video on You Tube[/link]
Mmmmm.......
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
AA5BY

Olof...the Das Box Fly and Saito .30 are a great combo. I continue to fly mine with great enjoyment.

You are fortunate to have become a benefactor of the kid and to have a Saito .30 to match to it with both being out of production and the kit a very long time ago.

Best of luck as you build it. Keep us informed as to when it is flown.