RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   My GP 60 size Extra 300 Kit + DLE 20!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10259194-my-gp-60-size-extra-300-kit-dle-20-a.html)

brenthampton79 02-08-2011 02:42 PM

RE: My GP 60 size Extra 300 Kit + DLE 20!!!!

stiches
no, I didnt even notice it till i had it all mounted up with the control rod already installed. When do you think you will test fly your plane?

Stiches08 02-08-2011 05:58 PM

<div>Supposed to be 55 and sunny here Sunday. If it's dry and not to windy I may shoot for then. I've gotta add a lil weight to the nose and set my throws and tune the engine and I'll be ready to go.</div><div></div><div>Can't wait!!</div>

Stiches08 02-10-2011 12:52 PM

Moved a battery forward and the CG turned out perfect! added no weight. pics up soon. im gonna call it done except for engine tuning and a few decals and trim on the tail and turtledeck! \

Cant wait to maiden this bad boy. ill be sure to post a video asap!!

RICKSTUBBZ 02-10-2011 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Stiches08

Moved a battery forward and the CG turned out perfect! added no weight. pics up soon. im gonna call it done except for engine tuning and a few decals and trim on the tail and turtledeck! \

Cant wait to maiden this bad boy. ill be sure to post a video asap!!
Stitches,

Good Luck. Looking forward to pictures of the finished trimmed plane, the video, and flight report. by any chance were you able to get a weight on yours. I am comparing the information you and Brent provide to a couple similar 64" extra's with Super Tigre 90's in them. Thanks for the updates.

brenthampton79 02-10-2011 06:41 PM

well Im down to finish adjusting the engine and finish the checkerboard on the left side of the rudder then time to fly, I think if the wind is good on saturday then im going to cut her loose unless I have a technical difficulty or somthing. Here are some pics, I'll get some final pics right before I fly here with the cowling and hopefully get some video of it flying. My plane weighs 9lbs total, w/o fuel and smoke oil, Therefore if I took the smoke out and went to one battery I would be in that 8lb neighborhood pretty easy and thats with the heavier fiberglass cowl as well. I am taking the plane to the airport with me tomorrow so I can get the engine running good.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/2f8bcd07.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/5144a3e2.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/422e601f.jpg

brenthampton79 02-12-2011 03:19 PM

Well flew the plane today. And all I have to say is awsome! the thing flew a lot lighter on the wing than I expected and slowed down well. I really am pleased with the plane. I put one flight on it to now recharge the batteries tonight and see what it used and then also to check everthing over and put the checkerboard on the other side of the rudder and do some trim on the bottom wing. I think this plane is going to one of my favorites in the hangar to pull out and fly. The smoker worked very well. i can't wait to fly the thing more, I hope i'll have time now, its warming up so its time to light the fire in the big plane now, but I think I'll get to fly the models on the weekends, most of the chemical companies are closed on sunday so I should be good to get some weekend flying in just not any flying in while im at work/airport. My wife shot a video so I'll post that once she gets done uploading it on youtube. Servo's seemed to have plenty of torque for everything, even when i kicked the rudder on the hammerhead to soon I could tell I was getting full deflection. I am going to have to manage the power better she is slick and doesn't need to be wide open all the time for sure, so power is definately there. Stiches plane should be really good on power since he doesn't have the extra weight of the smoke system. I personally would definately recomend this plane/engine combo for sure!

brenthampton79 02-12-2011 04:03 PM

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWdr4re2iY

collectivepitch 02-12-2011 08:42 PM

Nice video!! I like the smoke!

Stiches08 02-13-2011 04:47 PM

Looks good, looks like its pretty quick!!!

How was the landing?

brenthampton79 02-13-2011 04:52 PM

thanks yeah its pretty fast, i flew it mostly at about half throttle, it lands really predictable I think, I think it has a pretty slow landing speed considering mine weighs another pound more than your plane so you should really like how your pland flies. I think this is probably going to be my favorite model I have, I hope i can fly it some more tomorrow afternoon.

emilsanto 02-13-2011 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe when the weather is good you can take a video of it and see if it will <span style="color: #3366ff">tork roll/hover</span>. just do it real high so not to risk plane. you guy are doing a heck of a job on you bulds. i have a n older arf laying around a cmp giles 202 with a 67 in wing i think i am going to put a dle 20cc on it
being that the planes are a simular size. and build the extra later in the year. i know this is the kit forum but i put a pic of the arf below and will be gettting the eng in a few weeks.
i will let you guys now of the buld in the arf section when i start.

Stiches08 02-14-2011 02:18 PM

Planning on a maiden this weekend if the wind cooperates!! Can't wait!!

Flew my Heli today to get rid of the itch somewhat!!

brenthampton79 02-14-2011 05:56 PM

Let us know how it goes, I think you will be happy with the plane though I hope I have time this weekend to fly mine some more.

emilsanto 02-17-2011 10:06 AM

after watching your video a few times it looked like it was eleator senstive.? is it still tail heavey.?
thanks

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWdr4re2iY

brenthampton79 02-17-2011 11:04 AM

I flew it again tuesday afternoon, i thought it may have been a little tail heavy to at first but it was just me on the sticks i guess. I flew it about 10 minutes for one flight that afternoon and it is a fun plane, it will hover very easily and torque rolls are not a problem for the plane, maybe for me as the pilot but the plane seems to have plenty of thrust, im not a 3d pilot and fly pretty much scale type aerobatic stuff so im not a good one to consult the 3d capabilities of the plane but as far as power and weight and all that this engine is a fine fit with the plane if y ou are looking for a hot rod acro machine, plenty of power, seems to fly on the wing very well for the weight and it seems to slow down to a nice approach speed to me as well, its not a cub it an extra but I can 3 point it pretty easy.

partisan 02-18-2011 06:57 PM

I got mine finished up today. I am ready to run the engine on sunday. Not sure when i will have good enough weather or the time to maiden it.

My final weight came out a 9 pounds. I will take some pics and post them later prolly tomorrow.

Stiches08 02-18-2011 07:35 PM

awesome man. i plan on maidening mine tomorrow as well. cant wait to see yout photos!!!!

RICKSTUBBZ 02-20-2011 02:25 PM

Brent,

I just now was able to watch the video of your Extra. I admit I am quite surprised. The airplane appears to fly very well at 9 lbs. I watched particularly when you did the stall test with altitude and the plane was very predictable. Additionally you put it through enough maneuvers and tight radius turns that if the weight was going to cause a problem it would have. From the perspective of the video it seemed to slow down nicely at landing. I also like the way it sounds. The only thing that I thought was out of place (and I know it just MY opinion[:-]) but the plane seemed to be going really quick for doing aerobatics.

Also, watching it in the air for the first of the video I was not prepared for the snow when it came time to land. [8D]

Anyway, congratulations on the maiden, and good job with the plane. I now know the DLE 20 is a good alternative. I really thought at 9lbs the plane would be a flying brick.

Stitches, good luck with your maiden flights............Hopefully you were able to put them in today.

Partisan good luck with your maiden when the day comes. I’ll watch for your post with pictures.

Stiches08 02-20-2011 03:06 PM

Nope no maiden!!! sad face lol... High winds here all weekend!!! it sucks....

brenthampton79 02-20-2011 07:11 PM

yeah rick it slows down quite well i think for the size of the plane and the weight, I don't know about the acro speed, i fly the full scale stuff pretty much with as much as speed as i can per my iac club members' request, one of them says "red line is not a limitation but a goal" which was a little unsettling at first since they have me dive the pitts wide open throttle with the rpm past the redline and climbing airspeed and then pull hard to level then the next manuver, i am still new to the full scale acro world too, but its fun. That may be why I fly the model the same way. Of course the extra with the dle doesn't need the excess energy since it has unlimted amounts of energy on the nose, my hammerheads on the video were really bad I needed to slow down and get it stopped and then rotate the rudder, i had problems with that in the pitts too. And yes snow we couldnt really beleive it either, usually right where we live we usually don't get much snow in the winter but if you drive north about 30 minutes it does and then if you go west to the ridge they usually get the snow, but we don't, oh well it gave me a chance to get my cub out and make some ski's for it and play with it, that was pretty fun, im going to have to get me some of the dubro ski's one day.

yes stall is very predictable, not sure if my 1/16 inch of washout i put in the wing helped with that or not, i like to think it did though. on the second flight i did some inverted snaps and etc and the washout i put in which isn't much didn't seem to have any adverse affect to the inverted performance hoever i may pay for that doing tight inverted loops though. I'll do more testing on this as i fly it more, so far its got to be my favorite plane i have now. The dle is just awsome!

stiches i feel you man we got done fertilizing yesterday morning at 8 am and i could tell the wind was already picking up and i was really wanting to go to the club at cape and fly it and show the plane off but the wind kept me home working on other projects and cleaning up in the shop, hopefully next weekend i'll get a shot at it though, we already have quite a bit on the books and with our smaller airtractor in the shop that leaves the heat on me in the 802, shouldn't be to far behind but enough to keep the afternoons busy and not available for model flying though, but hey it pays the bills though hahaha, I hope your maiden goes well and maybe we can hook up one day this spring and fly together that would be cool, how far is the field from the paducah airport?

Stiches08 02-21-2011 11:20 AM

Paducahs field is probably 5 mins from the airport. Not to far at all.

brenthampton79 02-21-2011 05:48 PM

cool maybe i could throw my model in the cardinal and fly over there and meet you at the field one day if thats possible, i assume as long as i have an ama card they would let me fly over there with you there if you wanted to, just a thought

Stiches08 02-21-2011 06:07 PM

yeah that is all. its not to big of a deal at are field. there is only a few guys that ever check to see if your card is posted on the board. other than that every body is pretty cool there and never says anything. when i first startrf flying i didnt even have a card just went up there with a buddy of mine and nothing was said.. So just let me know when u wanna head this way and i could even pick u up at the airport...

Stiches08 02-22-2011 07:14 PM

Plan To maiden tomorrow!!! 2/23 and cant wait!!! will post pics and a video as soon as possible... Cant wait to share with u guys!!!

brenthampton79 02-22-2011 08:17 PM

it should be a good day for it, I flew mine this afternoon and i had an aileron that broke two ca hinges so i am in the process of repairing that, but landed with no issues. I plan to fly mine again as soon as the weather cooperates and I'm not flying the 802 we have a full days worth of work for tomorrow so I'll fly till it rains or gets dark, I will check on my iphone to see how your maiden went during the day though good luck!