RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   sig vs balsa usa 1/4 cub kit? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10262059-sig-vs-balsa-usa-1-4-cub-kit.html)

emilsanto 01-13-2011 10:12 PM

sig vs balsa usa 1/4 cub kit?

I am looking for advise on what 1/4 scale cub kit to build

i have had the sig in the past but thinking of building a new cub . has anyone here built both ?. if so whats the better quality kit
and what was easyer . any pros and cons of the kits .

any help i would be greatful

thanks

frank99 01-13-2011 10:26 PM

RE: sig vs balsa usa 1/4 cub kit?

I have built and still have 3 1/4 sig cubs and all are great,it may be 50/50 on which is the best , but you will like the sig cub, working on a 1/5 sig cub as we speak thanks frank

bps 01-14-2011 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the finishing stages of mine. Clip wing 1/4 scale Sig with 3 piece wing. Sig Koveral with latex paint. Have a little bit left to do including motor purchase and instal. Planing on using the DLE 30cc as it looks like it will fit into the kit cowl without cutting out most of the cowl.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

ARUP 01-14-2011 06:14 AM

I agree with Frank99: 50/50. They bost cost about the same, too!

JCOKEEFE 01-14-2011 02:25 PM

[8D]I have built both kits and I would say that the Balsa USA kit gives you a Cub that is slightly more scale.
Both kits are good kits.

JollyPopper 01-14-2011 02:31 PM

Buy Sig

Chip_Mull 01-14-2011 07:27 PM

Buy Sig and cover it with Stits.

Edwin 01-15-2011 01:29 PM

I have 3 busa 1/4 scale cubs. What can I say, I'm a little nuts for them. The first one was bought at a swapmeet. The second two are being built. One is ready for paint, will be done in a Navy NE-1 scheme. The other is an L-4 with the green house. A fair amount of work is required to make it scale. The ailerons need to be changed to bottom offset hinge, the kit is top hinged. The stab needs to be moved forward about an inch. The kit has the stab trailing edge even with the rudder hinge line. I'm also making mine pull-pull on the ailerons. Just a little more effort. So the swapmeet plane is a practice plane for now. The only thing I dont like about the busa kit is the wing attachment method. You have to bolt them on from inside the fuse. Kind of a pain but not bad once you get used to it. A pvc pipe jig to hold the wing level while bolting in place would be a good idea. I really like the way it flys. All of mine will have 4 stroke 1.20's. Throttle back to about 1/3 throttle and it looks very real up in the air. High winds at ground level can be a problem. You have to stay on top of it and keep it pointed into the wind. If you ground loop and get pointed downwind with full up elevator, it will flip over. Been there done that. It was between 15 and 20 mph winds that day.
Edwin

GAP-RCU 01-15-2011 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Edwin

A fair amount of work is required to make it scale. The ailerons need to be changed to bottom offset hinge, the kit is top hinged.
Edwin
Interesting, Sig's 1/5 scale is top hinged too. I don't know why Busa & Sig do that, as differential throws are just as easy to accomplish with a scale bottom hinged arrangement. I almost sprung for an unbuilt Sig 1/4 kit at the swap meet this morning, but the box was ragged & water stained, and the plans had already been cut up. I wasn't too confident in what I might get out of it.

Edwin 01-15-2011 03:16 PM

Yeah, GAMA does a good swapmeet. I regret having to miss it but a nephew graduated Air Force boot camp on friday and I wanted to be there for that. The good thing, lots of static display aircraft around the parade grounds at Lackland. I was in heaven. Just miserable weather. He scored high enough to be a crew chief on the heavies when training is done at Shepard AFB.
Edwin

TripleDeucer 01-19-2011 11:07 PM

I agree with Chip. Buy Sig.

Oh, and cover it with Stitts:)

emilsanto 01-20-2011 09:00 AM

just wondering has any one built the sig 1/5 scale anniversary cub? if so do you prefer the light ply fuse building /or how this kit is over the 1/4 scale stick bult method.? i downloaded the manual for the 1/5sig cub.its seems like it would be a easy build.

also has anyone hered or AMR-aircart models out of canada they havea lot of huge kits along with a 1/3 cub.
http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...&page=kits

also anyone know of any cub building web sites.
THANKS GUYS

ARUP 01-20-2011 12:36 PM

There are a bunch of various makes and marques of Pipers being built on the website, RCScalebuilder.com. Lurk for free but create an account to do so.

emilsanto 01-20-2011 04:03 PM

AmR sent me a pdf maual for the big cub. it's pretty well put toghter with photos and looks like a awsome kit
if anyone want to take a look at it just pm me with your email and i will send it to you.
BE FORWARED ITSS 98 PAGES IN COLOR AND WILL TAKE A WHILE TO DOWN LOAD
SO IF YOU STILL HAVE DIAL UP DONT BOTHER
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif

frank99 01-20-2011 10:53 PM

sir do you have a pic of the Navy NE-1 scheme , i have a 1/3 framed up and might try some thing different, thanks frank

Bill Diedrich 01-21-2011 03:56 AM

also anyone know of any cub building web sites.

Try this one:
http://thecubden.org/

Edwin 01-21-2011 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm doing a busa in the NE-1 scheme. This is the pic I'm going by. Lets see if the picture upload works. Its ready for paint, but its too cold in the garage right now. I have more pics if interested.
Edwin

Edwin 01-21-2011 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let me get them on here while the upload is working.
Edwin

JNorton 01-21-2011 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: emilsanto

AmR sent me a pdf maual for the big cub. it's pretty well put toghter with photos and looks like a awsome kit
if anyone want to take a look at it just pm me with your email and i will send it to you.
BE FORWARED ITSS 98 PAGES IN COLOR AND WILL TAKE A WHILE TO DOWN LOAD
SO IF YOU STILL HAVE DIAL UP DONT BOTHER
[img][/img]
I pm'd Emil for the pdf of the AMR cub manual. In return he wanted my impressions. The very first thing I noticed upon opening it was holy cow is this thing BIG! 139.6" wingspan. Good grief Charlie Brown but I hadn't noticed this is a 1/3 scale Cub - so it's a little larger than I can haul. Actually it's a whole lot larger than anything I can haul. After I got over my shock - what a great looking manual of a really nicely designed Cub, very detailed. The only lack I saw in the manual was the description of the landing gear was really skimpy. In real life if you had purchased the kit the landing gear would be in your hand so it's not a concern. Really guys, if anyone is looking for a 1/3 scale Cub take a good look at AMR's and ask Emil for a copy of the manual. I'll bet you'll be impressed too.
John

frank99 01-22-2011 12:08 AM

edwin if you can tell me where to get the colors my new 1/3 will not be yellow thanks frank

oh i guess i can get the stars and bars from some one thanks frank

Edwin 01-22-2011 06:56 AM

The paint is from warbird colors. I will have to get back with you on the colors, I need to find the msgs. His web site is having problems so the only way to get in touch with him is through here. When I ordered last november his web site worked but wasnt processing the orders. So he told me to send him an email with what I needed. That worked out fine, he replied with a paypal pointer and all was good. The only thing I dont like is not having any identification numbers on the cans. There is just a paint dot on the lid. When you get ahold of him, ask him if he still has a record of my purchase from around november 2010 ( Edwin Smith, Leander Texas). I cant seem to find the emails with the paint numbers at the moment.
Edwin

Edwin 01-22-2011 07:06 AM

Found it. You might want to get more primer. I already had some and just needed a little more. I'm painting over koveral and dope. I prefer to paint my insignias. The colors may not be 100% acurate but its good enough for me.

Warbirdcolors paint - [email protected] Chuck Graves.

Warbirdcolors
1521 N. Jantzen #112
Portland, Or 97217

1 pint - Clear Satin (10001u)
1/2 pint - primer (10000)

USA Colors
1/2 pint - Sea Blue (35042)
1/2 pint - Intermediate Blue (35164)
1/2 pint - Insignia White (37875)

Edwin

khodges 01-22-2011 03:41 PM

Both Sig and BUSA 1/4 kits are nice, the lines are more scale on the BUSA, and it lends itself better to mods.

I have an older 1/4 scale BUSA J-3 kit available, as well as a set of BUSA's L-4 plans, and a set of Robart scale gear, and a dummy engine kit. Also have a GP float kit that will work with this plane. Anybody interested, let me know, I'll make a good price.

JoeR 10-17-2011 05:19 PM

Old thread and a long time since last post. Khodges- still have that 1/4 scale J-3 kit available? What's the difference between the older and current kits?

Any other impressions of these two kits?

Cub Man 10-18-2011 06:31 AM

I have looked at both kits and I have built a sig kit. Talking ¼ scale now. If you could throw both in a box shake it up and pour a cub out it would be a great one. I’m a little more of a fan of the sig.
On the Sig I like how the wing plugs into the center and with a little work it can be built where the center section stays on the plane and both sides plug in. Balsa USA you have to support the wing until the wing and struts are attached to the plane. Sig just slid the wing onto the spar and it will support the wing until all screws are in. I also like the cabin area a little better on the sig then the balsa usa version. The conversion can also be don’t on the balsa usa to make it like the sig version

Outline. This is a big big question. One day I’m going to set down and over lay all three plans (balsa usa, Sig and full scale) and see who is more to scale.