RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Topflite Gold kit P-47 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10332537-topflite-gold-kit-p-47-a.html)

twn 05-28-2011 03:18 PM

RE: Topflite Gold kit P-47

ORIGINAL: bigtim

latex house paint works fine for Gasoline, its the alcohol in glow fuel that eats the latex up,it sprays fine with a cheap touch up gun from Home Depot, I use my nail gun compressor with it and its sprays well,I have used water based materials on several projects and they work well,I work with paint and the lustre coat is nasty stuff, I have a whole box of it and I don't use it any more just for the stench it makes in my shop

www.warbirdcolors.com paints are water clean up and glow fuel proof to 15% as well as being gas proof they also have authentic colors for those who prefer that
I did not know that latex by itself was gas proof! Right on! thanks bigtim!

Terry Bolin 05-29-2011 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jordan, look real close at the pic and you might can tell this bit I glued two 1/4" balsa strips to the firewall with just enough space for the tank floor to fit between and then the rear of the floor is fasten down with two screws. one on each side, Dont glue it in, this way you can remove it to service anything you need. I cut slots on the sides to allow for rubber bands to hold the tank on top, the batteries on bottom.. hope this helps! Terry

Terry Bolin 05-29-2011 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one more shot of the items made for tank floor..

Goran619 05-29-2011 02:41 AM

Thanks Terry thats what I thought but I wasn't sure. I couldn't really tell from the pics when I enlarged them they became to fuzzy to see. I'm trying to figure out where to mount everything since I decided so use a servo for the choke instead of a linkeage. so I was planning on building up a servo mount on the bottom of the tray with the batteries mounted to the fuse crutches inside. Yesterday I did start my siwtch hatches, I glues a pair of 1/2" sticks to the lower stringers between F1 and F2 and then cut out a panel and cut out a slot for the switch and a pair of slots where my charge lead and balance lead will feed through to make for a quicker access to charge. 
Jordan

green river rc 05-29-2011 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just drug out out my old P-47 for a radio upgrade and a flight test, I built it about 6 years ago I think. I'll throw a couple pictures on here to help keep the thread going. A lot of people ask why the canopy frame is not green like the rest of the plane and the reason it because the documentation picture I used that is the way it was, maybe a repair job?

cloudancer03 05-29-2011 06:26 AM

I badly want to build a "jug"..looked at the thread and its making me realize before trying anything huge just build a 60 size.I have a spare os91 but I really want to use retracts.covering is not my best subject and instead of momokote I was thinking of fiberglassing the sheeted wood.will that significantly increase the all up weight to use a motor bigger than a 91 four stroke.

green river rc 05-29-2011 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

I badly want to build a ''jug''..looked at the thread and its making me realize before trying anything huge just build a 60 size.I have a spare os91 but I really want to use retracts.covering is not my best subject and instead of momokote I was thinking of fiberglassing the sheeted wood.will that significantly increase the all up weight to use a motor bigger than a 91 four stroke.
Mine is fiberglassed with Zap finishing resin, Robarts, bomb drops, trop tank, flaps, interrior kit with a 91 Surpass and it hauls *****. These planes are great flyers maybe the best of the wasbird series from TopFlight. No doubt a film covering is lighter but glassing is not much heavier if done correctly.

Terry Bolin 05-29-2011 06:00 PM

Clouddancer...build it and use Ultracote covering.. it is sooo much easier than monokote to get around corners and shrink...You will like it alot!
Greenriver... I like the silver around the canopy..Actually thought about that when finishing my bird.. Its a good look on yours!
The Supass 91's run just as hard as alot of the 120 4 strokes.

kiwibob72 05-31-2011 12:17 AM

Terry, great thread, and great build of a stunning warbird ...... this is getting me thinking a lot more re these Top Flight 'jug' kits!!

Terry Bolin 05-31-2011 07:44 AM

KiwiBob, it is a great kit but a time intense build. Actually worth the money and time. I am glad this is the only project I did for myself this winter. Still waiting to test fly but as you know, The weather has not been good here in SW Mo. Thanks for the post.. Take care* Terry B.

raptureboy 05-31-2011 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim

latex house paint works fine for Gasoline, its the alcohol in glow fuel that eats the latex up,it sprays fine with a cheap touch up gun from Home Depot, I use my nail gun compressor with it and its sprays well,I have used water based materials on several projects and they work well,I work with paint and the lustre coat is nasty stuff, I have a whole box of it and I don't use it any more just for the stench it makes in my shop

www.warbirdcolors.com paints are water clean up and glow fuel proof to 15% as well as being gas proof they also have authentic colors for those who prefer that
Gas will soften the latex,(ask me how I know) but other than that it is great to work with and cheap! you can go to any big box home center now and buy the 8oz sample bottles for around $3 ea and get custom colors mixed. Finish off with a coat of satin poly urethane varnish and your good to go. A small oiless compressor available at the home center will cost around $125 and you can use it to blow up your raft to float around the pool in after a hard day of flying:D

Goran619 06-01-2011 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here are a few pics of my progress. I got all the servos mounted into the fuselage, I haven't connected the linkeages yet need to wait till I get the fuse and rudder/elevator glassed and painted. I got the fuel tank installed with my servo to operate the choke, which is mounted on the bottom of my tank try. I got the 2 hidden switch compartments created on the lower part of the fuse in front of the wing with the covers made, magnets epoxied in just need to mount the hinges.
Jordan

kiwibob72 06-03-2011 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Terry Bolin

KiwiBob, it is a great kit but a time intense build. Actually worth the money and time................
Yeah, even more so when I try to find a good .60 sized Razorback ARF, as on a personal side of things, I don't care much for the bubble canopy option - common as it may be, the Razorback just has that "seriously? ...DON'T" attitude written all over her lines ..... that said, I still think she'd be a great fun build, as with the cockpit kit and all, plus spending time on other scale details, it would end up giving me exactly what I want.

I'm curious how those new E-flight 60-120 sized electric retract kits would go/fit in her though, as I also like the look of them (no airlines and or links to go awry, and pre-programed fail safes built in)

PS - As for "taking care" ..... the grounds not shaking as much down here now days ..... so hopefully we are done with them 7.1 and 6.3 quakes for a while now!! ;)

raptureboy 06-03-2011 09:26 AM

Earth quakes, floods, and tornados, oh my[X(] What is going on?? Jugs Rock! anyway you build em! Time to get back to work on mine now, now that the PT- 17 is done and maidened.:)

Terry Bolin 06-05-2011 05:39 AM

Jordon, good choice to have double battery! I do the same after I found out 80% of plane crashes are from battery failure...pretty cheap insurance to me! (Stats for AMA and Don;s RC)
I went out yesterday with a great friend to the field...we got a few flights in on my Pete-n-poke and then ran the P-47 motor.. Fired right up but had some runnning problems.. My fuel was older so would not run right.. I got fresh new fuel today so Back out to the field to try and set everything again today! Next week is the big War Bird fly in at Eurika Springs Ark.. a great event to see alot of fun birds..hope to be ready! Take care! Terry ....Where's your post?

Goran619 06-06-2011 10:34 AM

Terry the second battery isn't a backup battery for the recever, its my ignition battery for my DLE 20. I haven't gotten any work done to it since like tuesday or so had a few chores to do this week and then on Saturday my second son decided to be born so I have a second soon to be flyng partner in several years. Good luck Terry on your maiden flight I hope everything goes well.
Jordan

raptureboy 06-06-2011 11:02 AM

:D Congratulations!:D but don't be surprised if he doesn't like to fly. Mine loves trains and tanks and could care less about planes:eek:

Goran619 06-07-2011 07:48 AM

Well I'm hoping he gets into it eventually, my oldest boy loves RC stuff. I have the Realflight sim and he loves to attempt to fly on that with me until he gets bored and decides to crash in the ground.
Jordan

brockettman 06-07-2011 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jordan,

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I'm sure one day he'll be flying dad's warbirds!

My progress has been super slow but I've managed to get the tail feathers installed and one side of the top sheeted.

Great to see all of the posts and progress of everyone. Hey Terry did you get to fly the Jug?

Build well!

Ben

Terry Bolin 06-09-2011 06:53 AM

Ben, looking Great! What a nice place you have to work on planes there! Congrats!
I went out to run the motor and get things tested and adjusted Sunday and last nite... Having motor problems right now... It is a new Thunder Tiger 91 FS and I knew they are a high compression motor to begin with. It is (Was ) Having trouble leaning out and kicking the prop off.. (Second plane this motor has done this on) So I went back and took the motor all the way down to inspect... Found the Exhaust valve rocker had no lash at all....intake was too tight also but had some lash.. I made some corrections and also drilled the pressure fitting out to a larger center hole.. SO , tonite I am gonna take it back to the field and do another motor run!

Goran619 06-09-2011 01:13 PM

Well everyone I got a couple steps further this week, I got the canopy fairings glued into place, this was kind of a pain since the instructions are very bad at showing how they go. I got the cockpit cut out and painted all black (waiting for it to dry then I will be painting everything to the proper colors and add the decals). Next I got the tail feathers done completly, I added a few fillets of epoxy w/micro balloons around the tail fin and the stab, and added some balsa filler to spots that got damaged by clumsy hands during the build. Lastly I just finished fiberglassing everything behind the tail wheel. Man I hate how much extra work it is to fiberglass, but very excited for the end result... I have pics of my progress but I'm on my wifes computer and anytime i connect my phone to it the computer likes to erase everything, so I will post some pics later this evening when I hop onto my computer. Terry hope you figure out whats going on with your engine and get that thing up in the air, I want to see some pics of it flying...lol
Later
Jordan

kiwibob72 06-09-2011 02:07 PM

Goran, as I'm currently researching prior to getting this kit (a big thanks to Terry, yourself and all the others for adding to, and making this a GREAT thread) - do you have any pic's of how that DLE20 goes within the cowl, as this is the same motor option I have been listing at the top of my 'wish' list, and are naturally just curious as to how it fits within the cowl re muffler and spark plug lead clearance.

Goran619 06-09-2011 02:14 PM

I have not finished the engine install completly, I do have the mount w/engine installed and the cowling roughly installed around it. Tomorrow I can throw the engine back on the mount and try and get everything inside the cowl held in roughly. I do have a pic of the engine installed with the ignition module up on top of the firewall however I will be moving that forward and be attaching it to the side of the motor mount, to reposition it so I can get it another 5" or so away from the reciever and the servos.
Jordan

kiwibob72 06-10-2011 01:36 AM

So in a nut shell, does it all pretty much fit within the cowl without the need to cut a lot of the cowl away??

Ps - nice to see another heli guy looking at a great looking warbird .... at least I'm not the only one! (got a Raptor 50 myself - GREAT heli's!!)

Goran619 06-10-2011 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes kiwibob everything does fit inside the cowl just nicely. all you need to do is cut outa whole for the exhaust and your good to go. When I installed the engine and mount I placed it in the same position as to where a nitro would go for the preset mounting position i just spun it so the engine would sit inverted. Well I got alot done today I got the entire fuse glassed, just waiting for it to dry so I can put on a 2nd coat of resin. Afterwards I will spread on some bondo all over the entire plane to fill in any weaves that I missed with the resin or an bubbles I had to cut out. after I get the fuse completed I will finish mounting, and filling in my cowl as I have a gap at the top of the cowl. Then it will be time to paint, I'm getting so excited I can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.
Jordan