RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Topflite Gold kit P-47 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10332537-topflite-gold-kit-p-47-a.html)

JBryson 06-10-2011 11:53 AM

RE: Topflite Gold kit P-47

1 Attachment(s)
Terry,
Enjoying your build as I also have this kit and will be starting it as soon as I finish my current project( BUSA 1/4 Fokker D-VII). I've already purchased the engine and cockpit kits and the large fuel tank. Think I'll go with the DLE 20 for power in my bird. What size wheels are you planning on using, 3 1/2 or 3 3/4? I am also thinking of going with the E-Flight electric retracts for the mains, don't know if they have on for the tail wheel.

raptureboy 06-10-2011 01:01 PM

It looks like your prop shaft is not in the center of the cowl. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture. Go light on the epoxy or you end up sanding like crazy and adding too much weight. The best method I have found is to cut your epoxy 50% with denatured alcohol and brush the first coat on thin. after it dries a light sanding and then mix the bondo spot putty with acetone until you have a syrup like consistency. Brush this on all over the glass and then after it dries you can again sand it until smooth and all the weave is filled. Any bad spots can be hit with putty full strength and then sanded. it ends up being very fast and a whole lot less sanding and mess.:) I really need to get going on mine again.:eek:

kiwibob72 06-10-2011 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Goran619

Yes kiwibob everything does fit inside the cowl just nicely. all you need to do is cut outa whole for the exhaust and your good to go. When I installed the engine and mount I placed it in the same position as to where a nitro would go for the preset mounting position i just spun it so the engine would sit inverted. ........

Thanks for that, really appreciate the information, as it has now sealed the deal on which motor option I will look at moving forward!
Any idea on expected flight times from that motor/plane combo (obviously it'll be better than a nitro powered option)

Goran619 06-10-2011 01:31 PM

I only had the cowl just laying on there when I too the pic, and I was using 1 hand to hold my phone 1 to hold the plane and the plane was actually hanging higher than my head cause I have it hanging from the cieling to make it easier to glass it. Thanks for the tip on the bondo, I did use a 50-50 mix of z-poxy with a couple drops of denatured to thin it out. On the wing I did actually do it this way as well but instead of 1 layer of resin and then the bondo I did 2 coates of resin. It turned out pretty good I did alot of sanding to get it as smooth as possible without removing any glass, it came out pretty smooth there were a couple of runs and spots on the finish.
Jordan

kiwibob72 06-10-2011 01:49 PM

The plane is coming alone really nicely Jordan, you should be proud of this one!

Terry Bolin 06-10-2011 07:05 PM

I think the DLE 20 is gonna be the sweetest motor out there, Everyone I talked to loves 'em. ME, I am fighting motor problems with the new war bird.. MAde some progress today though I invested 5 hours of time. I ended up retarding the cam shaft and now the motor runs lots better so I will do some ground run in for a few tanks before risking a new plane to motor problems.. I am a little bumbed because Saturday is the War bird event that I actually built this plane for so we'll see! Take care and please keep posting........all good info! Have Fun! Terry

kiwibob72 06-17-2011 11:28 PM

Hey Jordan, how the Razorback coming along? (curiosity is getting the better of me ;))

Goran619 06-18-2011 03:17 AM

It's coming along, I haven't gotten much done in the last week. I do almost have the cockpit done just need to make a few touch ups yet. Today I was going to go and pick up some bondo and acetone and finish the fuselage and get everything ready for paint.
Jordan

Terry Bolin 06-18-2011 08:41 AM

would auto body glaze (red paste) work just as well instead of bondo for minor problems? Post some pics soon.
Still waiting on the maden for mine...motor is getting better.

oldtyme 06-18-2011 09:44 AM

Hi Terry.......I just noticed this thread and enjoyed it. I had one of these kits along with the TFP47 Giant Scale and gave the Gold Edition kit to my son because I didn't want to build two. It looks as though the Giant Scale builds pretty similar though.......I have the horizontal stab and elevators and the fin and rudder almost complete. I'm glad I have a 16' workbench for this baby. This will be my first and last giant scale......it's gonna take forever!!!

Cheers,
Andy

Terry Bolin 06-19-2011 05:05 AM

When you get it framed up, please post a pic.. We would love to see it...Terry

brockettman 06-19-2011 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys...

I managed to carve out a few more hours to work on the Razorback! :D

Just need to final fit the canopy and then I can flip 'er over and build the bottom of the fuse.

It's starting to look like an airplane!

It's great to see all of the interest in the thread, keep the posts coming, I really like seeing how everyone else is doing on their projects!

Terry, thanks for the encouragement...;)

Build well!

Ben

raptureboy 06-20-2011 12:26 PM

Bondo is really just a trade name for a line of autobody products. They make the red spot putty and if you mix it with acetone and thin it down until it's about like heavy syrup and paint it on over your fiberglass after the first coat of epoxy it fills in the weave real fast and the excess sands off real easy.

Goran619 06-26-2011 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here's some progres on my Jug, Igot the fuse completed and ready for paint, The flap servos are installed and almost complete. I did not go with the stock mounting for the flap servos I made a bracket that screws into the wing itself an then you just screw the cover on. Next to do is bondo the wing and sand that down and then Ibelieve Iwill be ready to start painting the plane. Istill have to get all my control rods set for the rudder and the elevator and then plum the fuel line and do the throttle and choke linkeages and then I will be ready to start her. here is a few pics of the progression so far.

Terry Bolin 06-26-2011 04:47 PM

Comming along nicely...please keep posting pictures** Thanks, Terry

brockettman 06-26-2011 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jordan,

The Jug is looking great! Keep up the good work. :D

I've accomplished a little bit this weekend...

Build well!

Ben

Terry Bolin 06-28-2011 08:34 AM

Nice work Ben, looks like a great palce to build too.. Congrats!

brockettman 06-28-2011 04:17 PM

Thanks Terry!

I've got a two car detached "man cave" that is really great. It was real cold last winter so I'm hoping to get some insulation and heat installed before winter this year! Lots of room to move around and I found some nice florescent light fixtures at Habitat for Humanity that have really lit the place up!

Have you flown your Jug yet?

Build well!

Ben

Terry Bolin 07-04-2011 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I got the maiden flite in today at Pittsburg KS 4th of july fun fly,, (They have a great field) Some of you knew I was having Trouble with a new Thunder Tiger 91 4 stroke that I installed when I built the plane..Just was not confortable with the run of the motor to risk almost 5 months of building the Thunderbolt...SO I changed it out with a Magnum 91 4 Stroke last weekend, Got the time Sunday to do some bench running done , so today....I took it to the field.. Folks These planes are a REAL joy to fly! My plane took two clicks of down trim and nothing else. Came in like an old Trainer for Landing (With out flaps) and sat down so pretty on the pavement...You will love the way the plane flies if you keep it light. I sat my throws up the way the manual said and though I dont have alot of flying time on it yet... I think the throws are a good setting.. These Gold Kits are worth the $ and time...Get to building and have a great flying summer..Thanks for all the interest in the thread...Terry B.....Neosho, Mo.

raptureboy 07-04-2011 04:07 PM

Very, very, nice! :D Beautiful job Terry and I can't agree more, my last one flew on rails and landings were just like the real thing.:D Thats why I'm building another one. I met a guy in our club who is retired and has all these unbuilt kits he wants to sell so I could be building for a while.:D:D I will start up on mine again, as I want to get it glassed while it's still warm out. I'll keep posting on here. Thanks again for all the tips and encouragement you've provided and may you have many happy landings.

brockettman 07-04-2011 04:52 PM

Terry,

Congratulations on the maiden flight!!! Your plane is a work of art...

I've been working on installing the rudder/tailwheel push rod assembly today. I'll get some pictures posted soon.

Ditto to raptureboy's post... Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I'm sure the P-47 will give you years of enjoyment! :D

To those who are still building and are going to be building, please post your progress...

Happy Independence Day, and God Bless America!

Build well...

Ben

Terry Bolin 07-04-2011 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HAPPY 4th of July everyone! My wife told me it was a Great day to try a WWII Bird.. Here is a picture sent to me From Keith Spriggs of Ks..Thanks for the post.

brockettman 07-06-2011 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I have the rudder/tail wheel push rod installed and part of the lower fuse sheeted. I have also reinforced the tank/crutch area and fit the firewall.

Build well!

Ben

brockettman 07-09-2011 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well guys... The fuselage is about finished. I have to install the interior kit and the canopy, fit the right side inter cooler exit, and fill all of the gaps, dings, gouges, goofs, etc. :)

Time to get the wing plans out!

I have a few more pics of my progress....

Build well!

Ben

kiwibob72 07-10-2011 11:11 PM

It's looking really nice there Ben, please keep the photo's and reports coming!