RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant P-47 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10635038-top-flite-giant-p-47-build.html)

redbiscuits 10-16-2012 07:03 AM

RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Any suggestions as to where I should set the elevators for a starting point? Should I set them EVEN with the leading edge of the stab or maybe a little down? I don't want this thing to climb like a homesick angel on the maiden.
Is there a decent gauge out there that will take the guess work out of this?

redbiscuits 10-16-2012 02:07 PM

I sure am sorry that I asked this question over in the "yeah, another bloody one" forum.

redbiscuits 10-16-2012 03:33 PM

BTW, My good friend Daryl is going to loan me his deflection meter so I can get the elevators zeroed out and set to the incidence, Thanks Daryl.

Doomking 10-16-2012 03:53 PM

I think what's most important beside keeping the elevator close to neutral (I usually look to the side of the stab and eye it in)
is the correct CG.
An incorrect one will really give you a handful regardless of your elevator settings.
I have flown several top flite birds over the years and the reccomended throws and CG location seemmed always close to my flying style and very little trim was necessary during the maiden flight.

As for the "other" thread......I think that it got diluted over the years to the point that right now if you ask a question about the build some of them feel like you are bothering them and distracting them from the usual bla bla bla.
I am glad you started this thread since here we are still all in the process of building and are helping one another.

Ram360 10-16-2012 04:04 PM

Like Fabio said set them neutral  to stab. The scale hinge line should make that easier.  The stab and elevator should be flush to each other at the tip. I would not set them down, on maiden I would rather a plane start to climb instead of dive.

redbiscuits 10-16-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks guys, good advise.

Mustangman40 10-17-2012 06:42 AM

Gary,
did you use an incidence meter on it when you set the stab and wing? When ever I do a plane I always use one (with the control surfaces off) and right down the final numbers. Then when I set it up I put it on again and tweak the C.S till they read the same numbers... Another thing I do while I have it on the bench with the fuse level and my incidences numbers lined up, is take a measurement from the bench to the center of the trailing edge of the control surface and check the other one to see if the numbers match...
Hope that makes sense.. Like others said, take the time to make sure the CG is where you want it and make sure to balance it laterally as well...

I'm like you, when i take off I don't want craziness happening, just a nice climb out...
My buddy always ask me how do i end up never needing a bunch of trim on a new plane..lol
I learned over the years, the more we do on the bench, the less we have to do in the air... Taking the time and getting real anal with the final set up also makes me much more relaxed on the maiden.. I never have to worry if I did something wrong in the final setup...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

redbiscuits 10-17-2012 07:22 AM

No, I didn't set it up with a meter, Everything was level and measured correctly so I went with it. I'm going to have to borrow one now just to make sure everything is correct and centered with the stab. I'm like you, I'm going to know what to expect when she lifts off and no doubts what-so-ever.
Thanks,
BTW, still waiting on another package from China so I can finish the airlines in the fuse, and get to work on the wing. Hopefully it will be there when I get home from work.

Mustangman40 10-17-2012 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

No, I didn't set it up with a meter, Everything was level and measured correctly so I went with it. I'm going to have to borrow one now just to make sure everything is correct and centered with the stab. I'm like you, <span style="color: #ff0000">I'm going to know what to expect when she lifts off and no doubts what-so-ever.
</span>Thanks,
BTW, still waiting on another package from China so I can finish the airlines in the fuse, and get to work on the wing. Hopefully it will be there when I get home from work.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

I'm getting ready to get back on mine, looking forward to getting it all ready for the spring...

Jimbo

RWHorton 10-17-2012 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice plane Gary, Mustangman40 responce is dead on. Follow his advice and she'll fly great. Here a pic of my P-47, been seven years in the making, Hope I am on the last leg of this build.

redbiscuits 10-17-2012 08:58 AM

Very nice Ron! Do you have an idea of the final weight yet?

RWHorton 10-17-2012 02:32 PM

Right now 24lbs. But I need to install the fuel tanks, batteries, a couple of servos, some airline, and the reciever, My best guess is a flying weight of 28 to 30 lbs on takeoff. I hear of them flying as heavy as 34lbs and they fly ok, so says the owner. If it flies as good as the small p-47 it will be a great flying plane, looking foward to flying it next spring.

Ron

RWHorton 10-17-2012 02:34 PM

How far along on your are you. I haven't gone through the whole thread to see.

Ron

redbiscuits 10-17-2012 03:40 PM

Fuse is almost done, just about ready for paint. I still need to do a few little things to the wing and that will be ready too. I'm really looking forward to the week of Thanksgiving, I'm off work all that week and I hope to be spraying some paint.
I have a buddy at "Best in the West" this week and he's going to pick up a few little things for me from the Dream Works trailer, it's all a matter of getting all the small things rounded up now.
Texas winters are infamously windy (and cross at my field), so who knows when I will get it in the air, may end up being after the new year.

Doomking 10-17-2012 04:45 PM

Gary did you apply the mirce set yet?

redbiscuits 10-18-2012 03:33 AM

No, not yet. I'm waiting till I get all the electronics in, and the linkages set, that will be the last thing before paint. I'll make sure to post a lot of pictures of the process.
I still have to drill the gun barrels and I still haven't made my mind up on the wing tip lights. I tried making a lens, and the heat was hard to control, either too much or not enough. I managed to get one made that looked and fit the contour of the tip pretty good, but it was very brittle, it cracked as soon as I started to trim it. [:@]
I'm starting to think maybe just some paint to simulate the lenses would be good enough???

Edwin 10-18-2012 04:58 AM

Just to be sure, you DO know about the angle of the gun barrels in the wings, right? If I remember correctly they are not inline with the wing.
Edwin

redbiscuits 10-18-2012 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah Edwin, I knew that but thanks for pointing that out. I found a decent pic that illustrates that.

RWHorton 10-18-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary making the lens are really quite easy. Start with .030 lexan sheet. Now the wing needs to be finished, or ready for paint, as you will use it as the template. I used a monkote gun to heat the lexan up, then I pulled it over the wing, it setup quite fast. Don't skimp on the size of the lexan sheet, you need to be able to hold on pull it. then trim the lense and cut the wing to fit.

Ron

Mustangman40 10-18-2012 08:37 AM

RW,
looks great, very nice job...... I think mine will be getting nav lights, any links you have to the products you used would be great.. If Gary doesn't mind, post them, or send me a PM..

Jimbo

redbiscuits 10-18-2012 08:45 AM

I don't care at all, the more pics and info, the better.

I need to go back and get some more lexan and try it again this weekend. Might make a nice hubby/wife project together since two hands just isn't enough. ;)

Doomking 10-18-2012 11:13 AM

I am kind of confused.
Did war planes have navigation lights?
I thought they flew in the dark so they didn't give up their position.

RWHorton 10-18-2012 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's been so long since I bought the lights, I will have to go through my records to find where I bought them. I Also install the formation light in the bottom of the right wing, and a landing light. They are LED's that run on 4.8 volts so I can use the reciver batteries to power them. The landing light was the hardest to make, took several prototyps to get right. I made it sound easier than it really was, but anyone will to take this bird on an make it work. I will have to get a closeup of the finished light when I get home from work.

Anything I do please feel free to ask. That's what we are here for.

Here a pic of my small TF P-47 Builted it in 1996 flies like a dream.

Ron

redbiscuits 10-22-2012 10:29 AM

Not a good weekend for getting anything done on the plane. All I managed to get done was trimming and gluing on the oil cooler shutters and mounting my switch and airline chuck hidden panel.
The wifes car overheated and broke down on the side of the road yesterday on the way to church and I had to limp it back home. Put a water pump on it and went ahead and did the brake pads on the front. That pretty much shot half the day and I was tired after all that. :(

Doomking 10-22-2012 02:14 PM

I finally covered the right wing.
Was little puzzled with the installation of the ply strip that butts against the flap LE.
I also took extra time to change the spar webs from rib 3 all the way to rib 5 to 1/8" ply and I doubled it front and back.
I also doubled front and back with balsa spar the rest of the wing.
Top Flite GS planes have a tendency to be skimpy on the landing gear area.
The p-51 in particular has a flaw to this day where they run the grain of the web spars horizontally to the spar creating a very weak construction.
There is a good mod that I followed on the p-51 thread years ago and it has been proven to work to the point that sometimes I botched the landing and bended the Robart gear but the wing stayed intact.
As paranoid as I am I am reinforcing this area eccesvly so hopefully I don't have to do it later once the plane is up and flying.

On the left wing next.