RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant P-47 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10635038-top-flite-giant-p-47-build.html)

redbiscuits 03-17-2012 08:25 PM

RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

:D:D:D
Nice, My thoughts exactly! Actually this weekend is a great weekend to be a Texan. We have South by Southwest going on right now, and also Rodeo Austin, we had a great day enjoying everything that this great town has to offer.
The nice breeze this afternoon made it even better!

redbiscuits 03-18-2012 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up the wing tips this morning and blended everything in together.... I also cut the new flap horns.

redbiscuits 03-19-2012 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One flap down, one to go.....I think these are the biggest pain in the arse out of the whole build. [:@]

redbiscuits 03-20-2012 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have finally setteled on a trim scheme. 78th FG, Capt. Alfred F Eaton's "Ozark Queen". I like how she looks, anyone else?

Notes from 78th FG webpage: "Unlike most of the 78th FG's repainted P-47's this particular one was painted in olive drab and not the medium green associated with the unit."

Zor 03-21-2012 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

I think I have finally setteled on a trim scheme. 78th FG, Capt. Alfred F Eaton's "Ozark Queen". I like how she looks, anyone else?

Notes from 78th FG webpage: "Unlike most of the 78th FG's repainted P-47's this particular one was painted in olive drab and not the medium green associated with the unit."
redbiscuits,

Thanks for the pictures which reminded me of the time I was teaching at the Veterans's Rehabilitation Center where my oldest student named Sequin was 44 years old and had been a squadron leader in the RAF.

I could tell he was out of his element and kind of felt sorry the war was over.

He had known nothing else than fly fighter airplanes all his life with the RCAF before transferring to the RAF.

Zor

redbiscuits 03-22-2012 07:01 AM

I have Callie working on the art right now. She has been GREAT to work with. I will post the art as soon as I approve the final round of proofs.

I finished up the other flap last night (thank god) and will be laying up the gear doors this weekend.

getting closer......[8D]

Zor 03-22-2012 08:07 AM

I have Callie working on the art right now. She has been GREAT to work with. I will post the art as soon as I approve the final round of proofs.

I finished up the other flap last night (thank god) and will be laying up the gear doors this weekend.

getting closer......[8D]
redbiscuits,

It is nice to have an artist in the house.
It is also nice to be able to follow your progress.

I always think of all the readers out there also enjoying your work.
I am just one of the readers.

Zor

redbiscuits 03-22-2012 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, here is the artwork, Callie did a great job!

box car 03-22-2012 12:34 PM

That is real nice, top of the line, will look good on your P-47.

Zor 03-22-2012 02:18 PM

redbiscuits and Callie,

WOW ___a super beautiful art work.
Nice to have such talent.

red . . you are the luckiest man in this community . . . thanks to Callie.
I am anxious to keep following this thread.

Cheers,

Zor

redbiscuits 03-22-2012 04:01 PM

Zor,

She's not all mine, Callie is the owner of http://www.callie-graphics.com/
That is what she does. If you ever need anything done for your project, shoot her an email and she will promptly take your idea and turn it into whatever you want.

Her prices probably can't be beat by anyone else out there.

Zor 03-22-2012 06:59 PM

Zor,

She's not all mine, Callie is the owner of http://www.callie-graphics.com/
That is what she does. If you ever need anything done for your project, shoot her an email and she will promptly take your idea and turn it into whatever you want.

Her prices probably can't be beat by anyone else out there.
redbiscuits,

So I had the wrong impression but it produced useful results.

I am hoping that all the readers now know there is a source of beautiful graphics.

Thanks for your reply and I am with you to promote Callie's nice work.

Zor

CARS II 03-23-2012 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeap! nice grafics art work indeed.

i added the page to my favorites for future references.

Awesome build!

Here is mine, not build [:@], assembled, but I keep looking at the bigger ones :D

redbiscuits 03-23-2012 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the ailerons leading edge shaped and hinged this morning. Next I decided on laying up the main gear doors. First I ironed down some Cub Yellow Monokote and taped it off. Next came a couple of coats of whatever wax I had on hand. Then I Z-poxy 3 layers of each, 10oz, 5oz, and 2oz. We'll see later how they come out, I'm going to let them cure out overnight before I lift them off.
I might regret it later, but for now I'm just going to lay up one set. If I ever need another, I will just fashion them out of litho plate and 1/32 ply

redbiscuits 03-23-2012 11:06 AM

Hey Cars,
I'm not an ARF snob so any P47 in this thread is okay by me. I understand that a lot of people don't have the time to build, and in that aspect I am very lucky, as I enjoy it so much.
I sold my last ARF two weeks ago, a Giant Super Sportster, all I have left in my hanger is planes that I built.....Not sure how I feel about that yet :) Sure is going to be more painful when one goes in.

CARS II 03-23-2012 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks

And here I thought I was going to get kicked out the thread :D Love the P-47s, and you are right about not having time to build lately, just two nights ago at my club's meeting I got me an Ultra Sport 1000 kit ( always wanted to build/fly one ) so I'm going to frame it in the coming month and take it back to the next meeting and show to all those who told me I bought a pile of wood [>:]

HoundDog 03-24-2012 02:16 AM

<h3>If it/s got wings GO FLY IT No one can see how good or bad it looks as far out as most guys fly anyway. A lot of CA and some of "Red Greens" Duct tape and almost any thinge can be made flyable, with the exception of thems Wirlly Birds Ting-a-ma-Bobs,
There ain'ts nef Duck Tape ins the Holes worlds ta fix ones a thems babys. LOL.</h3>

redbiscuits 03-24-2012 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool, A US 1000! Thought about a 60 size US myself a few times. I would still like to build one in the future. Nice find [8D]

I went out to the garage early this morning and started laying out the gear doors. The fiberglass that I layed up turned out to be right at 1/16" thick. Just perfect and fits like a glove.
At least I could always go the duck tape route if this doesn't work :D

*Edit*
After looking at some more photos that I have, I need to extend the upper door down a little more for a more scale appearance. I will be taking my time as I only have one shot at this. After I get the first side the way I like it I can create some templates to do the other.

redbiscuits 03-25-2012 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got both sides of the gear doors drawed out. I will have to wait to do anymore work in that area until I get all the doors cut out from the glass and I get some door hinges. I bought a variety of door hinges from Hobby King last night so it may be a couple weeks before I can continue. Also picked up a miny F16 foamy just for grins:D
BVM and other places wants $12.00 for two door hinges! I got 25 hinges from Hobby King for a little under 7 bucks.
I guess I'll get the fuse back on the bench and see what else I can finish up on it.

EJWash1 03-25-2012 10:08 AM

<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica"><span style="font-size: small; ">
<span style="letter-spacing: 0px; ">Gary,</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana; min-height: 15.0px"><span style="font-size: small; "></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"><span style="font-size: small; "><span style="letter-spacing: 0px; ">I&rsquo;m following your landing gear door fabrication with interest. I have a few models in my queue that I want to install doors on and have read a few threads on techniques. Your&rsquo;s is the first I&rsquo;ve seen using Monokote over the door surface. I take it that you applied it at low heat just to tack it flat? No glue residue when you pull it up?</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana; min-height: 15.0px"><span style="font-size: small; "></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"><span style="font-size: small; "><span style="letter-spacing: 0px; ">I&rsquo;ve wrestled with the some considerations of the process. Because the glass is laid on top of the wing, you have an impression, or mold, of the top of the wing *under* the glass. I&rsquo;m under the impression that if you want the gear doors to match the surface of the wing that the glass for the doors should be laid-up inside of the mold. At the same time though, we&rsquo;re talking about a 1/16&rdquo;-thick door here. Not thick enough to matter. I guess I&rsquo;d just be making more work for myself.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana; min-height: 15.0px"><span style="font-size: small; "></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"><span style="font-size: small; "><span style="letter-spacing: 0px; ">Will you be making the inner doors as well, or leaving them out of this build?</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana; min-height: 15.0px"><span style="font-size: small; "></span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"><span style="font-size: small; "><span style="letter-spacing: 0px; ">Thanks!</span></span></p>

<span style="font-size: small; "></span></p>

<span style="font-size: small; "></span></p>

redbiscuits 03-25-2012 11:37 AM

I did a mold for the tail wheel doors and then pulled my part from it. With the tight curve of the lower fuse I wanted two piece doors that matched the curve perfectly. With the wing I didn't think it was necessary to first make a mold and then lay them up inside the mold. If I was going to have inner doors I may have considered that method, but I'm not so I didn't. Seemed like more work that I didn't need to do. And when finished, they would add that much more weight with the cylinders and door sequencer and such, Not worth the payout IMO.

I tacked the Monokote down with moderate heat. Just enough to get it to lay down like you said. Some of the filler pulled up when I removed it but that was no problem to patch back up and sand. No glue was left behind at all from what I can see. I suppose one could use a low heat type film, but I used what I had on hand.

This is kinda a practice plane for me before I do a big Ziroli or Meister Scale. Those will actually have scale landing gear placement, so maybe I will do it that way on that project when the time comes. I will definitely have to have inner doors on one of those.

redbiscuits 03-25-2012 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys can call me crazy if you want too, but I'm gonna go ahead and build this 5 piece cowling supplied by the kit. More money I can spend on something else.
:D

EJWash1 03-25-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks Gary.<div>
</div><div>I HAVE to have a P-47 in my hanger. I considered TF GS kit, but I've always wanted to build a Ziroli design. I went ahead and got the plans for the 92", cowl, belly pan, dummy engine, and a short kit from Eureka Aircraft.</div><div>
</div><div>Subscribed to your thread and watching with interest.</div>

redbiscuits 03-28-2012 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been just trying to do a few little things every night, even 15 min. here and there add up over the week. I tightied up the inside of the fuse a little and installed the servo tray. Also been making the cowl mounting blocks and ring. I have a big order from Tower coming in tomorrow to keep me busy for the weekend.

redbiscuits 03-30-2012 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
She's standing up on her own.
[8D]