RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Carl Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1070884-carl-goldberg-anniversary-piper-cub.html)

hoppy 08-19-2003 10:49 PM

Carl Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub

Any insights on this kit. It was purchased in the early 80's I think. It's a 67 in clipped wing CB anniversary edition piper cub. The wings and fuselage have been built. Any ideas on what it should sell for?

CAPtain232 08-19-2003 10:53 PM

reallistically, $80 to $100 shipped

DBCherry 08-20-2003 01:01 AM

Yeah, $80 to $100 shipped if it's built straight!

hoppy 08-20-2003 01:20 AM

Thanks.

FLYBOY 08-21-2003 05:58 PM

Tower sells them again. You can get close to list, but not list. Some people will pay more than list for them. Great flying plane. I have one. Need to build it. They are so nice in the air. The price given is a good range though.

MinnFlyer 08-21-2003 06:59 PM

That is an EXCELLENT plane... 'specially with the clipped wing.

I've had 2 and would get another in a heartbeat

doccimmer 11-10-2003 11:55 PM

RE: Carl Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub

Hi guys!

I'm building a CG Anniv. Cub now...what 4 stroke engine size do you recommend? I was told that a 52 would do. What can I expect performance wise from that engine choice...

Also, I'd appreciate any building tips!

Thanks!

Rob

MinnFlyer 11-11-2003 06:59 AM

I like the OS 70 Surpass.

As far as building, I HIGHLY recommend the "Cliped Wing" version.

Also, make sure that the rear of the Fuse is not twisted before you glue it.

DBCherry 11-11-2003 10:35 AM

I have an 80" Cub with a 54 four stroke in it. Power is marginal at best, but it flys like a Cub!! :D
Dennis-

TomCrump 11-11-2003 04:52 PM

I've built three CG Cubs, all powered with the 70 Surpass. Best combination around!

LaCerne 11-11-2003 06:22 PM

Built mine with a Saito 72. Waaaayyy over-powered. Swapped it with an Enya 53 and it is less over-powered. Mine's the full wing version. Great flying plane. Slips and spins are really fun.

doccimmer 11-11-2003 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies all!

I'm building the full wing version...a lot of folks I've talked with say that a 52 to 56 4 stroke is a good combo. I'd like to perform mild aerobatics with this plane, but that's not the main objective. I'm currently getting very confident with my Avistar trainer, and would like to transition into a tail dragger like the cub. I've heard some folks say that this isn't a good second plane, but, while still a newbie, I'm not what you'd say unseasoned, as I've just started the hobby again after a break.

In the end, if I'm able to do loops, rolls, and stall turns I'll be happy, provided the 56 4 stroke is powerful enough. What I'm really after is learning how to handle a new plane, plus I'm having a great time building it!

Thanks again all, and as always, I'm open for any suggestions!

-Rob

MinnFlyer 11-12-2003 07:45 AM

If it's not too late, I would suggest changing your mind and clip the wing. With the clipped wing, the cub still floats like a dream. IMHO even for mild aerobatics, the full size wing is just too much. It flys as if it can't get out of it's own way.

PS this is an excellent second plane if you're coming back from a break!

FLYBOY 11-12-2003 11:33 AM

We fly them with Saito 56 engines and full wings. Both the clipped and full fly great. If you want to do the aerobatics, the clipped would be the way to go.

Get a set of floats for it too. That is a blast. Better than flying it off the ground.

ketil 11-12-2003 12:15 PM

Hi Rob..

I have a saito 90 twin in my goldberg cub,works great in this cub.
nice sound to.;)

Ketil

doccimmer 11-12-2003 01:06 PM

Thanks as always for the inputs, MinnFlyer! Unfortunately, I've already got 1/2 of the wing assembled :( I'm not one to turn away good advice, but in this case I'm happy with the fact that this will be a great second plane. As far as the aerobatics go, I'm looking forward to learning a new airframe and its capabilities. The way I see it, I'm excited to experience all of the characteristics in flight! In the end, if the airplane ends up not being an aerobatic performer, well, that's okay...I'll just build me a pattern plane, which by the way will probably be my third, on my way towards getting into warbirds...

...I'm following the advice and not getting ahead of myself!

Thanks again!

-Rob

SpockF4 11-12-2003 09:20 PM

What a great airplane. I built mine in the clipped wing version. I did make one small mod to the kit. Instead of using the single servo aileron setup with the torque tube, I built a bay in each wing and put the aileron servos out in the wing. Much more solid control linkage and better response with two aileron servos as opposed to one. As a bonus you get redundancy in case one of your servos quits on you. You will love this plane. I had a saito 91 collecting dust so I bolted it on. Obviously has plenty of power for the "not so cub-like" maneuvers!! A great flyer.

w9jcm 11-20-2003 12:54 PM

RE: Carl <span class=

Guys I could use some help. I was told this cub I bought was a Goldberg kit. Also was told not to fly it with the wing struts sounds bs to me but they said if you land hard you could put them through the wing. I am weary about flying it without the struts. I emailed goldberg for a manual the people want 10 bucks for one what a joke. No way am i paying money for manuals. Hell great planes and others has them downloadable on there web sites. What the opinion on the struts?

Ernest-T 11-20-2003 01:52 PM

I've got a clipped wing version of the CG cub with the OS 70 (excellent combination by the way). My plane is fabric covered and painted, so heaver than normal. The struts are optional. The wing is plenty strong enough to handle any acrobatics you might throw at it without the struts. I used aluminum tubes for the struts, and they hold up well to flying/landing stress, but I usually fly without them. A more common problem is the struts vibrating loose in flight. I've seen many cubs with a strut dangling from the wing in flight.........it does make for interesting landings.

Martin

neversink 11-20-2003 04:43 PM

If the struts are built and attached as per the plans they are for looks only and provide no structural support. That can only lead to trouble if you fly with them on. If you work out a better attachment method than the shown clip on approach you'd be ok.

I love mine with a saito 56 and the full wing - can do plenty of un-cub like maneuvers. I've never built the clipped version so I'm not saying it's better full span, but I can certainly say the full wing will roll, stall turn, spin, immelman, split-s, etc. with a little practice.

I'll second the individual servo's out in the wings. Even if you get the torque rods good and tight when you build it they will loosen up over time, and you'll want to keep the GB Cub in your hangar for a long time!

Rich

TomCrump 11-20-2003 05:02 PM

I never used the struts on my last CG Cub. It had a 70 Surpass and fabric covering. I flew it in a very non Cublike manner. You'll be fine wiyhout them.

scalebldr 11-30-2003 06:36 PM

why don't you use the parts from yhe other half of the wing and clone them and build a second wing of the clipped version for later.probaly $15 worth of balsa will build the second wing.

69chevelle 12-04-2003 05:01 PM

I built min clipped wing and used a Sito 91. IT just rocks. I put a little more of an angle on the elevators (fuselage side) to allow for more rudder throw. The book calls for 1" and i have a little over 2". It is a good airplane to do knife edge loops, flat spins, inverted flat spins, knife edge all day long and inverted flight. Good luck...

Frank

Eduardo Lander Jr. 10-17-2005 09:29 PM

Hi,
has anyone built the carl goldberg piper cub aniversary edition with the convertion to independent (i belive it is also called dual) servos for ailerons?
thank you
eduardo

sarnart 10-18-2005 06:02 PM

I HAVE A 70SURPASS IN MY CLIPED WING .GREAT FLYER:D