RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Seniorita vs. Mini Telemaster (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10778931-sig-seniorita-vs-mini-telemaster.html)

krashkart 10-23-2011 01:15 PM

Sig Seniorita vs. Mini Telemaster

I note that the Seniorita kit is some $85 in most places and the Mini Telemaster is $34.
I know that the Seniorita is a bigger plane but is there that much separation in quality of the kits for the price?
Just curious.

noveldoc 10-23-2011 02:01 PM

RE: Sig Seniorita vs. Mini Telemaster

Either kit is good quality.  Both are good manufacturers.

If you are looking for slow smooth flight, larger tends to be better.

Tom

krashkart 10-23-2011 02:03 PM

Yes, thanks, I know large is better for flying and wind of course.

jollyroger 10-27-2011 12:13 PM

I've built and flown two Sig Senioritas: one from a kit and an ARF. Both are beautiful flyers. While the ARF version is no longer available the kit still is and you will more about building with this kit than from any ARF.
When I built my kit, I added barn door ailerons and reduced the dihedral by half. It is also powered by a Scorpion outrunner and 3S lipo. I used separate servos for the ailerons and converted it to tail dragger. It is a great deal of fun especially to shoot touch and goes. Since the ARF version crashed I will replace it with another kit as this was tricycle set up with ailerons. All I need is to build a new fuse.
The fuse is all sticks with a few balsa sheets in the front....for me it was a lot of fun to build and even my cat found it interesting.
So go ahead and get yerself a Seniorita, spread out the plans and start gluing...before you know it, you've got a plane.
cheers

CanDo 10-27-2011 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I built the Seniorita a few years ago. I also added barn door ailerons, plus some LEDs for night flying. It is one of my all-time favorites to fly, day or night. Take your time and enjoy the build, the maiden flight will make you smile! ;)

krashkart 10-27-2011 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

foodstick 10-27-2011 03:43 PM

I have never built a Telemaster, but having looked at the pictures of them with transparent covering, I BELIEVE they would be easier to build than a Seniorita. And they would be a little less fragile. A Seniorita is almost all stick built as where the telemasters I have seen, have more of a side piece to the fuselage.

That being said the senior/seniorita are great planes, and are proven fliers that build old school..

I have known people that sheeted the entire fuse of a Sig Senior with light balsa, and they seemed to think the plane didn't suffer any flight quality...

CanDo 10-27-2011 04:35 PM

My Seniorita is over 3 years old and has many flights and many landings. Even though it's made of sticks, it is built like a bridge (truss structure) and is very strong for its weight (~3.25lb, RTF). I also built a .40 size Telemaster kit, which had ~10" more span, but weighed ~6.5 lb (.46 glow engine). Because of the lighter wing loading of the Seniorita, slow flight is really slow. Having built and flown both, I vote for the Seniorita. Keep it light, heavy planes hit the ground harder!

jollyroger 10-28-2011 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple snaps of my two Senioritas:
The Red/yellow taildragger is my kit built. The Black/red one is the ARF. I have to say the ARF is a better flyer than my kit built as the ailerons on the ARF are somewhat larger. other than that they fly the same.

krashkart 10-28-2011 09:56 AM

As much as I have heard about the Seniorita that is going to be my next plane.

rminut 01-19-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jollyroger and CanDo, you both stated that you added barn door ailerons to your senorita. I have built a senorita but unfortunately I did not add ailerons at the time, I am considering getting a wing kit and also adding the ailerons, however I am unsure of how to bash the wing to do that. Could either of you supply any drawings and or information on how to go about adding the barn door ailerons. I did change to tail dragger and bolt on wings though.

CanDo 01-19-2012 05:08 PM

Hi rminut, unfortunately I didn't take a lot of pictures before I covered the wing, plus I didn't make any drawings. I can tell you the approximate dimensions of my ailerons are 15 1/2" (6 bays wide) x 2 1/8" x 1/2" high. As I recall, I ordered the aileron balsa from Balsa USA, then I modified the wing to fit the trailing edge balsa. You will have to cut 5 ribs shorter for each aileron, then add a new aileron trailing edge. It all sounds like a lot, but if you can look at a friend's Kadet Sr ARF's wing for example, it will make more sense. You can modify an existing wing if you don't mind recovering the wing. A razor saw will be useful for this mod.

jollyroger 01-20-2012 01:07 PM

In regards to my 'Rita, I copied the engineering for the ailerons from my Sig Citabria. Either building a new wing or modifying the existing one will require some engineering skill.
Check out this website http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/kadets.htm for some ideas.
If you don't have a razor saw, buy one. I would also do some Googling around to see what else you can come up with. It does take a bit of head scratching at first but then it will drop into place as you will soon get an idea how it's done. I would stay away from strip ailerons.

rhall999 01-20-2012 01:39 PM

I love the good ole' Seniorita. My first one was stock, except for being a taildragger. My second one (pictured below) was modified with ailerons, bolt on wing, taildragger, drooped STOL wingtips (mostly for looks), narrowed down aluminum LT-25 landing gear, and the engine is upside down for a nice clean looking front end. Powered by a Saito .30.Can't say anything about the Mini-Telemaster, never seen or flown one.

Quote:

Could either of you supply any drawings and or information on how to go about adding the barn door ailerons
As far as the ailerons go on mine, I built the wing as per the plans, and then measured out ailerons that "looked about right" and cut them out of the wing. Then, I added a strip pf 1/4" balsa to the trailing edge of the wing ribs to give the ailerons something to hang on to. The leading edge of the ailerons were timmed to about a 30° angle, and another 1/4" strip along the front of the aileron. Added a small balsa "sub rib" on each end of the aileron and aileron bay to give the trailing edge stock some support. For a hinge, I just covered the wing, and the used an extra strip of monokote, top and bottom, as the hinge. They work great, it rolls about as fast as any sport aerobatic job!! All of my engineering for the ailerons was done using the tried and true "that looks about right" formula. One neat thing with the drooped STOL wingtips, is that they supossedly assist in keeping the airflow staighter along the bottom of the wingtips, so Istill have strong aileron authority right down to the stall.

edit, pictures didn't work, I will try again.

rhall999 01-20-2012 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go....

jollyroger 01-21-2012 07:36 AM

Nice flames.

rhall999 01-21-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Nice flames.
Thanks, Ihad fun with it. The ones on the wings turned out better than the fuselage, But I like them all. One of my flying buddies said I put them on backwards, because I like to go out on windy days and fly it backwardshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

jollyroger 01-22-2012 06:55 AM

Recently I've been thinking about a Kadet Senior build. Even though it will use a lot of covering, I'd still like to do it. After looking at the numerous variations of Kadets, I might consider a twin Senior. These planes are so easy to modify and bash, no wonder they are so popular.

rhall999 01-22-2012 11:32 AM

Hey Jolly, go for it!! A friend of mine did exactly that a few years ago. He used 2 oldOS .48 Surpass FS engines. Boy did it fly nice. He also enlarged to vertical stab and rudder for better control in the event of an engine out. It flew so well on one engine that just to prove a point to a guy one day, he only started one engine, tookoff,flew it around for a while,and landed. The other guy was pretty shocked!!

jollyroger 01-27-2012 01:48 AM

That Senior must have went like snake with those two engines even one old Surpass .48 would be enough for it. Since I fly electric, it would be all too easy to do. I just need to get a Senior and go through all my documentation on converting single engine to twins ie: wing structure, fairings, nacelles, etc.
It looks daunting but as many people as have converted the plane, there should be plenty of info about the process.
cheers.