RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10889873-hostetler-lancair-es-build-retracts.html)

sebo 01-15-2012 05:41 PM

RE: Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts.

1 Attachment(s)
A little more wing construction.
Those little tabs keep breaking off....I have a solution....glue a small piece of balsa perpendicular to the grain on the tabs. It makes them a little stronger and they are less prone to snap off.

sebo 01-15-2012 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheel time.....I cut and fit so many times that I wound up putting the landing gear mount on the upper part of the wing...Had to make a duplicate and put it on the bottom.
The blue colored piece is the one I glued in incorrectly........I'm going to purposely do the same thing on the other wing to keep the weight distribution even.

sebo 01-15-2012 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Slow down time again.....will be mounting thewheel permanently.....also puting in an arrow shaft to route the wing tip lighting.
The red spots on the wing spars is where I did my splicing because I had cut them too short.
Notice all the splicing of the wing spars.....I also added an extrawing box to put an additional connectorto the fuselage.

</p>

sebo 01-15-2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So far so good... be sure it fits in the correct place before I do any gluing this time

sebo 01-17-2012 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The tabs on the wing ribs......I reinforced them for this wing because I kept bumping them and breaking them off.
The wing spars aren't long enough so I spliced them at the wing tips.
Just a warning....don't start cooking something and then go into the building room and start building. This is what your supper will look like.

sebo 01-17-2012 07:29 PM

This wing will be built upside down too....I will use the top sheeting and those little tabs to put the proper washout into the wing.I hope it will work that way.
<u><span style="color: #800000">Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
</span>
</u>The fowler wing flap hinges came in the mail today......80 bucks for 4 hinges.....I think they will be cool. They only require one servo for each flap.
THe wing I am working on how will be completed to the same point as the other before any work is done on the hinges.
Please stay tuned.....

sebo 01-18-2012 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

It's raining today.
That means more time in the building room
More wing time.....

Let's get started.................

<span style="color: #993366"><span style="font-size: larger">Picturenumber1....
</span></span>
When building the wing upside down, pin both theleading edgespar and the trailing spar to the plan...do this securely.
The leading edge spar will be the ruleing spar.
Be sure you are attaching the ribs upside down and do all of them up to rib number 2. picture number 1..

Now glue the bottom leading edge spar above the top one that is pinned to the board. picture number 1..

Now glue theleading edgein place. picture number 1..

<span style="font-size: larger"><u><span style="color: #993366">Picture number 2....</span>

</u></span>Glue the bottom spar into place....that is the one that is on the top as you are view ing the wing....the other one is still pinned to the plan.
There is a little trick to doing this without breaking things and getting frustrated.</p>

sebo 01-18-2012 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here comes the trick....

See that little block of wood on top of the rear spart that is pinned to the plans........
That is the trick....don't glue it in. Just place it there as you glue the hinge that is on top.
Do this all the way down from rib number 2 all the way to the end.
When you get to the end, you may find that part of the last two ribs will break...just glue them back on after positioning and gluing the spar.

sebo 01-18-2012 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are cooking, check the kitchen stove before continuing.

sebo 01-18-2012 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="color: #993366"><span style="font-size: larger">Pictures 1 and 2
</span></span>
Those ends broke for me.
<span style="color: #339966">Cut the spars off at the end so that they will butt each other evenly an glue them toget</span>her. You may just want to flatten on a teeny tiny tad at the tip for extra glue bite.
Line the last 3 spars and ribs up and glue them into place.
<span style="color: #993366"><span style="font-size: larger">Picture number 3
</span></span><u><span style="color: #800000"><span style="font-size: larger">Please take note that I put the splices on the wrong side of the spars..</span></span></u>If you mess up as I did, just cut or break them off.
I used a wire cutter to snap the splices off toward the trailing edge.

sebo 01-18-2012 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glue rest of spar into place

Unpin front spar.

Roll front spar towards the trailing edge.

Put a piece of material that is the same thickness as the leading edge spar under the leading edge spar.....DON'TGLUEIT.
It is for guidance only.

ROLL the wing until the spar fits the slots.
The leading edge spar should be laying flat on the guide material.
Pin the trailing edge spar down .
Glue spar into place from rib number2 for 3 ribs.

Glue spar into place from the last rib towards rib number 3until you have glued the plywood rib.

Glue the rest from the large large side toward the plywood former..........all should end up even.

Unpin everything.........

sebo 01-18-2012 04:09 PM

Get ready for the wing spar boxes.</p>

LargeScale88 01-19-2012 04:11 PM

Still following and looking very nice.

Jason

sebo 01-19-2012 04:59 PM

Thanks....I appreciate the following.....Ron

sebo 01-19-2012 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the wing before I start the boxes......I have to add the piece of woodwhere the ailerons attach. Forgot about that.
It come out straight ........... the system worked well.

sebo 02-24-2012 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wing boxes are built.
Landing gear installed in both wings.....
Notice how poorly I built the first wing. ..... spars cut too short and had to be spliced...
the second one is nice and clean cut.

It's a shame that I have to learn by doing and not logically thinking things completely thru.......actually, I mis-read the plans and cut the spars too shorton the first wing. I still have to put the shear webs in and place the piece of ply on the top of the wheel strut box....It adds weight but (in my mind) I will feel that it is stronger....
I will add flaps to the wings....Just moving along slowly......weather is nice and I'm getting some flying in.

sebo 03-19-2012 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much to show...been flying and fixing as well as doing yard work.
Only puting in about 2 hours a week....very slow

sebo 03-30-2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally saved enough money to purchase Robart Fowler Flap hinges........Took out a second mortgage.
My delima is that the span of the flap is 28 inches........will 2 hinges be enough to handle this or should I get another package (next payday) and put a hinge on each end and one in the middle to avoid flutter? I'd rather spend the money now rather than have a crash later on.

What's your opinion?

RAMFlyer 03-30-2012 01:32 PM

I would take out the third mortgage and put three per flap. Flaps are not like ailerons, only taking a load now and then. When you run the flaps out they are taking the load the whole time they are in the slip stream. You are also going to need a very heavy duty servo, or two in concert, to take the load... But then I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy on my set ups!

sebo 03-30-2012 01:43 PM

Thanks, I ordered another set.
Any suggestions on the servo (s). I fly all JR stuff.

sebo 03-30-2012 02:08 PM

Thinking about electronic servos for the flaps so that they will go down slowly........how about an opinion on that one too?

RAMFlyer 03-30-2012 03:30 PM

I'm afraid I fly Hitec and Futaba servos so don't know the specs on JR servos. On a 28" flap something along the lines of 100 to 120 oz in of torque should be adequate. On my Futaba radios I can program the servo's speed so I can slow down the flap servo. Don't know what JR radio you are using but the more capable ones should have something similar. A good analog servo with metal gears should work fine altho a digital servo will give a bit better holding power, all things being equal. Digital come with a premium price and use more battery so I usually stick with a good analog...

sebo 03-30-2012 05:19 PM

Ordered a Trinergy speed slower downer for the flaps too...Getting excited about building again.

sebo 04-01-2012 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A rainy day in Florida.........good building weather.
Since the plans call for washout and the ribs have those little tabs on them Idecided to sheet the top of the wing to create the washout.
This will also have some effect on my flaps.
After the top sheeting is in place I will cut out my flaps. Along side of the flap ribs (but not touching them), I will place a plywood or bass wood rib that conforms to the cutout for the flap installation in 3 different places (possibly 4).

Not going to fly Sunday....maybe sheet some more..

sebo 04-01-2012 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much progress but it is going well.....The washout is in the wing and I have installed one more sheet and started another.
Going flying tomorrow and fishing Tuesday.