RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11208903-sig-ryan-sta.html)

FlyerInOKC 08-29-2012 06:47 AM

RE: Sig Ryan STA

1 Attachment(s)
Don,

On my Ryan Sports Cabins I have been considering using Flite Metal to get the polished aluminum look. Or the two tone silver/green job on N18900 (see attached) using metallic paint for both colors.

Granpooba 08-29-2012 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

Photo 2

And where is the muffler ?

VincentJ 08-29-2012 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Today I decided to actually start to cut some balsa! I decided to start with the left and right fuselage sides which are made up of a framework of 1/4" square stock which is sandwiched betweena 1/4" thick cresent shaped outside balsa sheet and 1/16" plywood doubler for the inside.There is also a 1/4" front fill-in piece which will ultimately be secured to the firewall. This is where I would like to focus your attention to (Pencil A in photo).Instructions will have you glue up this whole assembly flat on the building table, when in fact the plans clearly show that they are angled in toward each other. This seemed odd to me so I studied the plans some more and still came up with the conclusion that the instructions must be wrong. Reading well ahead the mystery was then revealed...After the fuse side is assembled you are to then take the firewall and<u>bend</u> the front fill-in piecesso that both sides can be epoxied in place to the firewall. Now far be it for me to criticize but my gut is telling me that this is not going to bend but crack and break! I would highly recommed that these pieces be glued up inthe shape that is shown on the plans and not bent. I did neither as you should be able to see in the photos that by moving the firewall back I was able to keep these fill-in pieces flat and far enough away from the inside of the cowlmaking this area much more secure.</p>

VincentJ 08-29-2012 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry had to break up the photos.

VincentJ 08-29-2012 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo #3

n8622t 08-29-2012 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here VJ...gonna restore it one of these days and will go with the English military camo colors when I do

VincentJ 08-29-2012 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert no need to get the exhaust tapered like on your Cub, this one fits with plenty of room to spare!

Granpooba, here are the photos you wanted to see.

VincentJ 08-29-2012 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Different view.

n8622t 08-29-2012 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some more

VincentJ 08-29-2012 03:08 PM

Jimmy looks like a project worthy of restoring!

n8622t 08-29-2012 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last ones

n8622t 08-29-2012 03:17 PM

It was powered by an inverted Supertiger .75 mounted with an Edson adjustable mount, which I never had any trouble with....they are made form aluminum. The model had plenty of power but if you wanna gasoline, and I would, you might look at the NGH 17 from Agaperc. Looks to be a good engine. :D

n8622t 08-29-2012 03:19 PM

Ya I called Sig nine years ago and purchased all new fairings, cowl, flying straps (they are not wires that it come with), and decal sheet. I have everything original to go back on it

n8622t 08-29-2012 03:21 PM

BTY...the bellcranks will go into the garbage can;)...thats all we had 30 years ago

n8622t 08-29-2012 03:22 PM

Have fun cutting out the wing saddle....[:@]

VincentJ 08-29-2012 04:22 PM

Hey Jimmy those photos are great! When you get ready to restore your Ryan make sure there's room in the budget to get Barbie a new hair dew.....LOL

acerc 08-29-2012 04:31 PM

Vincent, that's great on the exhaust. Now get off of here and go build. Don't come back until you have some more photo's.
Couldn't resist that. LOL

n8622t 08-29-2012 09:06 PM

Ya I'd say she's due for a new do

cap 580 08-30-2012 05:39 AM

A friend of mine let me get his scratch built 95in ws Ryan out of his hangar after sitting for years.  It is a sport version powered by an OS 1.08 engine.  It flew recently with just a few hickups.  There is a picture in my gallery.  I wasn't sure how to post one here.  </p>

Stickbuilder 08-30-2012 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: cap 580

A friend of mine let me get his scratch built 95in ws Ryan out of his hangar after sitting for years. It is a sport version powered by an OS 1.08 engine. It flew recently with just a few hickups. There is a picture in my gallery. I wasn't sure how to post one here. </p>
I'm working on a quarter scale and this one has scale gear too. It is going to use a ZDZ 40 rear intake, rear exhaust for power. I'm working on building a different set of wings than those that Byron used.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Ken Kehlet 08-30-2012 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

For all you fellow Ryan fans the aviation museum in San Diego has uploaded their Ryan factory photo collection with lots of STAs, STMs, and the harder to find SCs if you are interested. I downloaded every photo I could find for my SC-M/W project and plan on going back for more photos. Use Google search and you will find them.
Hello,
Also, in OKC at the Wiley Post Airport, there is a full scale RYAN STA in the Oklahoma Museum of Flying, off of Rockwell, first street south of NW 63rd. The Miss America P-51 is in the hanger and they are building a full size WW1 German E-III replica. Stop by and talk to the friendly mechanics. The Museum is open during week days and 1/2 day on Saturday. Donations are Welcome.

Ken AMA 1528

FireBee 08-30-2012 07:54 AM

Guys, I'm subscribed and had every intention to fix up an old Ryan STA I got 5 years ago from my Father-in Law.

As I look at my building board and backlog of WW-2 and my 1/3 Scale WW-1 Tripehound fuse, I'm not gonna have time.

So I'd thought I'd see if anyone here is interested in a in the bones Sig Ryan?
Problem is I cannot get pictures to this thread until 4,5 Sept timeframe. Fuse, wings all framed up and all the orig parts if I recall.

Will post pics soonest.

R, Mike P.

VincentJ 08-30-2012 08:04 AM

Ken thanks for posting those pictures, they are awesome. Next time I'm in OKC I will be sure to stop by and check it out. I would love to photograph more angles of that Ryan.

n8622t 08-30-2012 11:42 AM

Hey VJ let's see some pics of your Ryan :)

DGM 08-30-2012 12:25 PM

Hi, I have had a couple of the SIG ryans and they are a beautiful plane. One I had was the "aerfobatic" model detailed down to the stop watch holder bracket on the instrument panel. I used the Inline Top Flite muffler and adapter on a HB 61 and it worked great. Just remember it has a narrow gear track just like a cub, so watch that taxing. Flies great but sits high and may nose over easy on landing. Make sure your LG is stiff and secure.