RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11208903-sig-ryan-sta.html)

WacoNut 01-19-2013 07:53 AM

RE: Sig Ryan STA

It must be the temp and humidity changes here in Ohio. We go thru huges changes in temps thru the summer and the humidity goes thru the roof. It may also be the amount of initial heat used to shrink the Solartex. I may have used too much heat? Anyhow I will just stick with what works for me. ;)
Later!!
Anthony

ovationdave 01-19-2013 08:29 AM

Since I am a newbie to the fabric covering, can someone outline the steps required to apply it? I assume all of the mentioned fabrics are iron-on, then some have to be filled, some not, then paint. But I am wondering if there are any missing steps in there. I am thinking of doing my first fabric job next winter. I have a Mr. Mulligan, Spacewalker II, and a Brown B-2 Miss Los Angeles, haven't decided which one i will build next fall, but all of those will have one thing in common, fabric covering. Is there a crash-course somwhere that outlines the different methods?

Thanks.

P.S. Loving this build thread, thanks again Vincent!

Dave

WacoNut 01-19-2013 09:03 AM

Dave,
I will give you the short version:
#1 Solartex is an iron on fabric, you apply it like monokote. You can use it as supplied(color) or you can paint.

#2 Sig Koveral is a polyester fabric and it very light. It has a failrly loose weave and you have to attach the fabric with either dope or Stix-It. Wth Stix-It you can iron the fabric on. You must then fill the weave of the fabric with either dope or polycrylic to make a solid surface for accepting paint.

#3 Poly-Fiber Lite uncertified is a lightweight version of the full scale airfraft fabric and is used on Ultra-Lites. It applies in the same method as Sig Koveral and is slightly heavier(thicker fabric). It does however require less coats of dope or polycrylic to fill the weave.

It all comes down to a matter of preference. All the products will achieve a good finish it is just a matter of how you want to go about it. More than one way to skin a cat.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 01-19-2013 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Second post of today's progress: In case you don't know how to make clean holes in your work I will show you how. In the first photo, the finhasa hardpoint for the tail brace bracket that needs to be opened up (see arrow). If you have tried opening holes even with a sharp knife you will be less than satisfied with the results. Ditch the knife and buy yourself an inexpensive soldering iron that you will use for this task. After the iron gets up to temperature just touch the tip to the opening and what you will have is a perfectly clean hole. The tip of the iron will need to be wiped clean before proceeding to the next hole.

Just a brief mention about seam orientation. When you are readyfor covering, try to think about the direction of the seams. Try to get the overlap of your seams so as the plane flys through the air thewind dosen't open them up. Also if possible try toplace seams in a location that will be less visable when the plane is being viewed. Can you see thelogic of why I covered the bottom half of the stabilizer first them covered the top half.

VincentJ 01-19-2013 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Third post of today's progress: Having the covering on the tail completed it was time to attatch the rivets. The reason I did the covering before applying the rivets was simple, I thought that once the rivets are down (with soldering iron) it will needed to get a coat of paint down ASAPto hold the rivets. The moving of the fuse while covering I thought would dislodge some rivets.

As far as the rivets go here is a sample of what they look like down. Each rivet was touched for one or two seconds maximum with the soldering iron. I have no doubt that this will produce the most realistic rivets possible, but it does come with a price, your sanity. Be forewarned!

WacoNut 01-19-2013 01:39 PM

That is going to look Awesome!!!
That has me wanting to strip all the glue rivets off my Waco and do them like that. [:@]
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 01-19-2013 01:59 PM

Very well done!

ovationdave 01-19-2013 02:18 PM

So any magic tips about getting accurate spacing and/or alignment of the rivets? Those look perfectly spaced...well done!

Dave

VincentJ 01-19-2013 02:29 PM

Thanks guys! Dave, spacing was done by eye. Picking up these small rivets and getting them in position is challenging to say the least.

raptureboy 01-19-2013 03:52 PM

Make sure you have someone check on you VJ just to make sure you don't go over the edgehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...spinnyeyes.giflooking way cool. I would just go insane doing that.

ovationdave 01-19-2013 04:17 PM

So do the rivets kind stick to the surface prior to touching with the iron to bond them to the primer? I was just wondering if you had to rotate the model to keep them from sliding around until you could tack them in place......or if you can just push them into the surface so they kind of adhere, then hit them with the iron?

Wonder if these would help? http://www.micromark.com/pic-n-stick,7467.html

Dave

VincentJ 01-19-2013 05:03 PM

Dave the rivets slide on the surface until you touch the head of them with the soldering iron. The fuse has to be positioned horizontal when applying the rivets.The rivets are so light that they just need to be nudged into place with the tip on an X-acto blade.

WacoNut 01-19-2013 05:12 PM

How are the rivets progressing? Always exciting to see the details come to life.
We want more pics:D
Anthony

VincentJ 01-19-2013 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One days worth of rivets...

WacoNut 01-19-2013 06:02 PM

Looks really good,
It will be worth all the work in the end.
Later!!
Anthony

ovationdave 01-19-2013 06:39 PM

That looks amazing. It really makes me think I will have to go to the effort of doing this for my next build, no matter how painful.... :-)

I just hope by your last rivet they aren't 1" apart....LOL

~Dave

ghoffman 01-19-2013 06:53 PM

Vinnie, are you flying tomorrow?

VincentJ 01-20-2013 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Progress has stopped because I'm out of rivets! Time to make more. First photo shows how I get the rivets out of the tray and into place on the fuse.

SunDevilPilot 01-20-2013 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Make sure you take breaks!! Dont want you ending up like this guy!

Looking really sweet!

SunDevilPilot<br type="_moz" />

WacoNut 01-20-2013 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or even worse this guy;)

VincentJ 01-20-2013 10:18 AM

LOL you guys are too funny.

cavoodle 01-20-2013 06:28 PM

Amazing work VJ !!.You are a Craftsman modeller that's for sure.
My mate succesfully test flew his Ryan STA today. Big smiles all around !!!
I will try to include a photo of it in this posting.

cavoodle 01-20-2013 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, missed the last bus. Hope this works.

VincentJ 01-21-2013 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome back Cavoodle! Big smile over here for your mate as well...Was he happy with how it flew? Loved the photos. How areyou doing with your Ryan?

Here is the progress I have made with the rivets on day two. I am definitely in a groove and have worked out the nuances getting the rivetsfrom the traytosetting them into position on the plane. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

acerc 01-21-2013 04:22 AM

Looking great. Lots of patience. If you don't mind, what is the little thingy in this photo?