RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11208903-sig-ryan-sta.html)

VincentJ 09-12-2012 01:08 PM

RE: Sig Ryan STA

1 Attachment(s)
Nice FlyerInOKC!

OK, if we're traveling back in time here is my first transmitter that I bought in the early 70's. I still have it and the box it came in!

cavoodle 09-12-2012 06:09 PM

Hi VJ, I'm building one of these kits at present too so I'm really pleased to discover your thread. At this point I have completed and covered the fuse and wings using Sig Coverall.
I am finishing it as a STM2 which I am told was the Military version that the STA evolved from. The visual difference is reinstating the front cockpit and Military colours.
The engine I will be using is the OS81 FSa that I hope will be powerfull enough. I have also done modifications so I can use Robart Struts for the undercarrage. That part of the build
is work in progress. Currently I am doping and sanding the fuse in preparation for the detailing work. Keep up your good work and I will watch your thread with much interest.

VincentJ 09-13-2012 02:46 AM

Welcome Cavoodle. Isn't technology wonderful that people from across the globe can come together and share ideas and thoughtsthrough the internet http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif...Sounds like you have a very interesting build going... Please feel free to post pictures of your build here as I'm sure all of us would enjoy seeing them. I have thought about the possibility of adding the same Robart landing gear to my Ryan as well. I haven't gotten to the wing yet, but will be shortly. Would love to see how you made them fit. Your OS81 should power your plane very well, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Have you updated theplane at all or did you build as original?

Udate on my progress: I haveepoxied the firewall in place and have been working on the tank and throttleposition before the final top stringers are added. I scrapped the original firewall that was included in the kit and went with apiece of birch plywith a thickness of 3/8".( I glued up a 1/4" and 1/8" piece) The firewall has also been reinforced with 3/4" triangle stock on each side. In addition to this bracing I will be pinning the sides with some hardwood dowels to ensure everthing is not going to move. Remember I am using a DLE- 20 on the nose of this plane and I want it to be able to handle the vibration and stress that this engine will place on it. I will post some pics of my progress soon.

raptureboy 09-13-2012 06:02 AM

I have the Robo struts on mine made for the GP Ryan. I'm not sure if these woudn't be a little big for this plane since the GP has an 80" WS. The springs are way too stiff in them and I am going to change them out when I find some.

cavoodle 09-13-2012 09:21 PM

Hi VJ, thanks for the invite to take part in your thread. I will post some photo's that may be of interest to you once I've sorted some out.
Like raptureboy I have fitted struts that Robart manufacture for the GreatPlanes Ryan. They are a little bit longer in the leg but should be fine.
I had hoped to be able to shorten them but that involved a lot of rework not only to the legs but also to the braces. My friend who had built his Ryan 20 odd years ago
and who's airplane I have as a build reference found he had many issues with the undercarriage, particularly with the fragility of their construction and the problem of
noseing over on landing. I have raked the robostruts forward by I think about 3/4" to help solve this issue and doing this has lowered the ground clearance to where it is now about 1/2"
higher than on the plan. I fly off a grass runway so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
To fit the OS81 useing DuBru isolating mounts I had to move the firewall 1-3/8" further back. I have also installed alieron servos inside the wings.
So in answer to your question:
With the exception of the changes mentioned I am building the airplane exactly to the plans.
I will be watching your build thread on a regular basis so if I can help in any way please ask.
Keep up the good work.

cavoodle 09-14-2012 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some photo's but I'm not sure if I have done it right. I'll click the submit and if photo's don't appear perhaps someone can tell me how to do it. Thanks

VincentJ 09-14-2012 02:56 AM

Thanks for the pictures Cavoodle! You build is turning out very vell. Nice job on the wing fillets, bet they werea bit challenging.... I like what you did with the landing gear, will the landing gear covers still fit over the Robart gear?

VincentJ 09-14-2012 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some photos of the engine mounted on the firewall. It took quite a bit of carefull measureing to get to this point. I still have to install the top two mount bolts. I will now make my servo mount for the throttle.

cavoodle 09-15-2012 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wing fillets are really easy. I used micro balloons mixed with two part Epiglass resin. Mix the ingredients to a soft putty like texture. Form the shape of the fillets with your finger and smooth them into shape with a wet finger. Spend some time doing that and you will finish up with very little sanding. Easy!!. The landing gear covers are work in progress at the moment. Useing fibreglass cloth and Epiglass two part Marine glue(it doesn't run or sag and is gapfilling) I have assembled all the landing gear separate moving parts into one solid unit. Fit the struts to the wing before securing the wing mount moulding to the main body of the covers. This will ensure that the covers will fit correctly in relation to the struts and wheels when finally mounted to the wing. I'll post a photo of them when completed. I will try to find some detailed photo's I think I took of the way I mounted the struts into the wings but at the moment I can't seem to locate them. The photo below is at the very rough mockup stage. Now have a lot of sanding and shaping to do but the building block is there!. This Ryan kit build is an extremely challenging one but with a little bit done on a regular basis you will one day have an airplane to be very proud of. I found that building the wing to plan (particularly the alierons, flaps, hinges, and tailwheel linkage) the most challenging part of the build. So good luck with that VJ.

Stickbuilder 09-16-2012 02:34 AM

Vincent,
Can you post a part of the wing plan that shows the cross section at the control surface? I'm asking if this is a Freize hinge surface or what?

Thanks,

Bill, Waco Brother #1

VincentJ 09-16-2012 03:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go Bill, It does appear that when the aileron is deflected upward a lip is extending downwards in the airstream.

VincentJ 09-16-2012 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I've been working on. These pictures show what I came up with to hold the gas tank, throttle and choke servos. (I still have to make the tray that will hold the servos, this will be in front of the tank) There's not a whole lot of room to work and fit everything and have it serviceable should it need to be removed at a later date. The tray is made from 1/8" birch ply and it can be slid in or removed just by removing the two 2-56 bolts that are visable.Lightening holes will be made as well as a slot to hold the tank strap.

Stickbuilder 09-17-2012 02:04 AM

Thanks Vincent. I'm in the process of building a new set of wings instead of using the molded foam versions that Byron's used it the kit. They are wimpy weak, and subject to all kinds of hangar rash. I just couldn't remember how the top surface of the wing was laid out at the aileron juncture.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

lovehydro 09-17-2012 08:13 AM

Bill, I am wanting to do the same thing on my byron build. I want to replace all the foam (wings, vertical stab and rudder, horizonal stabs and elevators). Any drawings, templets you genorate for your project would be appreseated. Paul

OldScaleGuy 09-17-2012 08:40 AM

Nice work Vincent. Lookin' good.

VincentJ 09-17-2012 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks OldScaleGuy...

Tonight I fit the main servo tray that will hold the elevator and the rudder servos. Also in place is the tray that will hold the throttle servo seen just behind the firewall.All trays are made from 3/32" birch ply and are removable with the exception of the trottle tray.Took me a while to get the servos in a position that I liked and could service down the road. Time will tell if this all works....

Stickbuilder 09-18-2012 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: lovehydro

Bill, I am wanting to do the same thing on my byron build. I want to replace all the foam (wings, vertical stab and rudder, horizonal stabs and elevators). Any drawings, templets you genorate for your project would be appreseated. Paul
I use a build stick to set up the rib placement. I will have a template or 2 from the rib cut, but they are pretty much identical from root to start of tip bow. I will be using 4 spars with shear webbing, and will probably put a shallow kerf along all the spars to lock the shear web. Nothing like a couple of I-beams to make things stout. I will be laminating the tip bows. I'm still going to use the flap actuator from the kit. It is pretty well thought out.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

VincentJ 09-18-2012 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../cry_smile.gifTonight's lesson is titled "How to be a dumb ass". Photo #1 shows the main servo tray that I made. I decided to cut the holes for the rudder and elevator this evening, so I carefully laid out my marks and cut the first hole. I was very pleased with how it all came out until......as photo #2 shows, that I centered the servo in the tray and didn't take into account the offset of the servo arm. There goes two hours of hard work! Of course I don't have another piece of 3/32" ply so now I have to drive to to the LHS and get some. This concludes tonight's lesson from Professor DA!

raptureboy 09-18-2012 05:53 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/punching.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngry_smile.gifIhate that! Ihave done the same thing so many times planning and putting it all together and then blow it all by missing one little detail. Sorry Vincent, you were making suchgood progress.

VincentJ 09-19-2012 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh well, I guess that wasn't too bad in the scheme of things. Went to the LHS and bought more ply to fabricate another main servo tray. Boy the price of a small sheet is almost 8 dollars! This time I adjusted for the servo offset as you can see. Didn't get time to cut out the elevator servo, but this is where it will go. OK at least I'm making forward progress again!

VincentJ 09-20-2012 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have to go back to work this evening but not before I got a chance to accomplish something on the Ryan. I cut the opening out for the elevator on the main servo tray and drilled all the holes for the 2-56 blind nuts that I use to anchor the servos. I feel this method has superior holding power from the usual cutting treads into the ply with a servo screw then hardening it with some CA. After the blind nuts were installed, I epoxied them to the servo tray making them a permanent fixture.

WacoNut 09-20-2012 12:48 PM

As usual nice clean work VJ,
I am debating on what to work on next. I have the DRI and the Waco needing repairs. I just can't seem to get motivated on either one:eek:. The wife will kill me if I don't rebuild the Waco. I am just dreading the hundreds of hours redoing the same thing over again.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 09-20-2012 12:53 PM

Thanks Anthony, I know what would motivate you. How about building that Albi you've been wanting! With your talent it would be a masterpiece.

WacoNut 09-20-2012 03:56 PM

Would be nice but the wife has stated under no certain terms I must rebuild the Waco before I buy a new kit;)
If she isn't happy no one is happy.
Anthony

acerc 09-20-2012 04:36 PM

All you whipped grown, I think, men. LOL